Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2005-01-28, 10:19 PM   #1
Ed Hansen
You know you want to be me.

Send a message via AIM to Ed Hansen Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Hansen
Powder Coated 2005KH24

I got it back from the powdercoat shop yesterday. It's really pretty. A tad darker than I anticipated, but still nice.

After media-blasting the factory blue away, it got a base coat of silver, then a translucent candy purple, then topped with silver flake. Here's a link to the pics listed under "Purple" http://community.webshots.com/user/wolfhowlmoon
Old 2005-01-28, 10:27 PM   #2
Catboy
Roadkill

Send a message via ICQ to Catboy Send a message via AIM to Catboy Send a message via MSN to Catboy
Very swick, the silver flaking loks really nice with the smooth dark purple
Old 2005-01-28, 10:32 PM   #3
James_Potter
Unicyclist

man, that's really really cool. I need to get mine powdercoated....
James_Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-28, 10:36 PM   #4
karl
Endless Productions

Looks Totally awesome!! it looks like your noodles are welding on the wrong side???

Karl
karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-28, 10:46 PM   #5
KcTheAcy
Ohh Baby

Quote:
Originally posted by karl
Looks Totally awesome!! it looks like your noodles are welding on the wrong side???

Karl
Your right! The frame is not on backwards either, you can tell because the noodles are on the same side as the brake mounts.

That color scheme is very unique, how much does a job like that run?
KcTheAcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-29, 07:35 AM   #6
Ed Hansen
You know you want to be me.

Send a message via AIM to Ed Hansen Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Hansen
The purple was gonna be a tad lighter, but due to the transparncy, he wanted to ensure a uniform caoting and laid it on thicker, which is fine, so it has three coats, with the 2nd coat thicker than usual, meaning it should hold up pretty well to abuse.

I got the frame, two bearing holders, and the four brake calapers all coated for $65. Now I just need to get brakes put on it. I had him use "off the shelf" powders, stuff that he had left over from previous jobs. If I had been more picky, I could of gone crazy and had him order other colors and what-not, but it would have cost an extra $50 bucks or so, for the cost of a box of specially ordered powder.

Oh and yeah, I noticed that the "noodles" were not on the correct side, but I can't do any moves that would require their use anyway, so I like to think of it as a "Limited Edition" backward uni. Hey, that's not so crazy. Years ago, the U.S. Postal Service printed a set of stamps with the airplane upside down and now it's worth millions. In a few years, my backward noodle MUni will be worth at least $100,000!!!
Old 2005-01-29, 07:56 AM   #7
tomblackwood
Tailgate at your own risk...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hansen
Oh and yeah, I noticed that the "noodles" were not on the correct side, so I like to think of it as a "Limited Edition" backward uni. In a few years, my backward noodle MUni will be worth at least $100,000!!!
I'm guessing that more such "Limited Editions" will turn up. Hopefully KH and whoever you bought the uni from will see this thread, and have some influence on Quality Control.

The noodle side won't affect my decision to have a KH29 in my future, but it sure is nice when manufacturers (or assemblers and retailers) have a defined Process that they follow Every Time.
Old 2005-01-29, 09:34 AM   #8
jagur
My Uzi is a Tongue

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hansen
Years ago, the U.S. Postal Service printed a set of stamps with the airplane upside down and now it's worth millions. In a few years, my backward noodle MUni will be worth at least $100,000!!!
its only worth millions if the stamp wasnt ever used and canceled......and since you removed the original paint on the KH its unlikly that it will be worth as much as the other 500 or whatever that ran though the Taiwain frame factory backwards

Last edited by jagur; 2005-01-29 at 09:35 AM.
jagur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-29, 09:33 PM   #9
billham
Level 5 - The Wonders Unicycle Club

That is very nice. Too nice for me. If I owned that MUni, I'd cry when it got it's first scratch. My MUni riding style puts lots of marks on my KH frame.

Enjoy your ride!

Bill
billham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-29, 10:25 PM   #10
Krashin'Kenny
Crash Tested

Quote:
Originally posted by billham
That is very nice. Too nice for me. If I owned that MUni, I'd cry when it got it's first scratch. My MUni riding style puts lots of marks on my KH frame.

Enjoy your ride!

Bill
That thing really is pretty. After I painted my Muni and put the flames on it, I went to the local art supply company and got some clear plastic laminate to cover the fork legs. My Muni has hit the ground quite a few times and still remains unscathed

Tags
2005kh24, coated, powder