Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2016-09-03, 02:03 PM   #91
Spinningwoman
Finally freemounting unicyclist

Several books recommend this as the best method, though they suggest the learner should hold the helper, not vice versa. I've tried it briefly myself and agree it would be really useful. The reason it is under-utilised is clear to me having tried it - not many people over the age of 8 have friends who are prepared to dedicate this much time to helping someone else learn to unicycle! Two learners swapping turns would be about the only way, until someone decides to earn money as a unicycle coach. My husband gets bored after about 3 minutes, and refuses to do it in public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Spinningwoman,

I know a unicyclist who has coached/taught many other people to ride. If I recall correctly, the method involved grabbing the rider's shoulder with one hand, and supporting below the rider's elbow with the other hand. This allowed the rider to balance with both arms while being held firmly. The unicyclist-teacher told me that this method is, for some reason, underutilized by beginners. I tried it with a couple first-timers; I found that there was significant technique and strength involved in holding onto the rider; it was not easy. If you can find a patient, able-bodied person to help practice this technique, it might get you riding even further. It'll be awkward at first. Kind of like having a dance partner. Just a thought.

BTW, six pedals is awesome progress!
Old 2016-09-03, 06:15 PM   #92
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningwoman View Post
I noticed that it was harder to turn with my hips, which is presumably just a thing.
There is a baseball diamond in my neighborhood. Riding on the dirt of a baseball infield is a unique experience. There is almost no resistance to the tire pivoting from side to side. Also, small left/right turning tends to throw the unicycle less off balance; rather it skids forward in the general direction you are riding. I find it easier to ride faster in this type surface, because wobbles tend to be converted into straight ahead motion. Cinder running tracks or fine hard packed gravel share the same quality. I owe a lot of my progress to practicing on different surfaces. Turning with the hips may be helped by finding such a surface. You can also experiment with increasing your tire pressure; this makes the patch of tire touching the road smaller, decreasing the friction in left/right turning. Keep experimenting!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-03, 07:14 PM   #93
Regina Wrecks
Cylopic Menace to Society.

Quote: You can also experiment with increasing your tire pressure; this makes the patch of tire touching the road smaller, decreasing the friction in left/right turning. Keep experimenting!

I agree with that, I experimented until I hit on 55psi for the 24" tyre pressure. Granted most of my attempts are on concrete hard standing areas, but I can twist quite easily even with a knobbly tyre on. I did get going quite well this afternoon, for a fresh change, until a great hulking stubble field got in the way of my brief progress, still I am slowly coming along. Yesterday. just for the record, I lurched off just as a military helicopter, flying very low overhead, scared the deuce out me, it took my mind off the unicycle and I managed a record distance for the 24". Perhaps I think too much, instead of just letting go and doing it.....!!
Old 2016-09-05, 12:52 PM   #94
Spinningwoman

Day 34/28

Day off today, but my son is home so I went earlyish to the skatepark so I could do stuff with him after. The ground was quite wet and my feet were slipping a bit on the pedals. For some reason the phone signal was better than usual and the skatepark is a PokeStop so I caught a few Pokemon during the session too! I hope after Regina's experience with the helicopter that the shock of a Pokemon appearing might surprise me into forgetting that I can't unicycle, but it didn't work sadly. I got three pedals coming off my Vivolo curbmount but that was the only advance. I have always mounted with my left foot on the lower pedal so decided to try the opposite. It was really hard, which is interesting. I practiced that for a while. Coming back to my car, I made it right across the car park and up the path to the river with the poles. I'm considering taking it out on the river cycle path this afternoon and just doing a pole-supported little journey for a change from the skatepark.
Old 2016-09-05, 04:19 PM   #95
Regina Wrecks

Yesterday, I had the lovely wife with me to record my progress, (vanity usage). I have to say that upon replaying the clips, I noticed that A) I am bending over forwards way too much. B) My crude mounting attempts are completely insane looking. C)I resemble something from the planet of the apes when pedaling. D) I do not pedal quick enough sometimes, which causes me to fail after a very short distance.
I have to say that the 24" is a somewhat different thing altogether to the 20" for me. I must now start to straighten the back up a bit of course, although I am advancing quite well in the learning curve. Pedaling faster certainly makes a terrific difference to balance. Yesterday, I reached that plateau whereupon I felt it getting easier and more comfortable when on the move if I went quicker. Plus, the striving to forget about too much concentration also helps, maybe if I buy my own surprise helicopter !!!!
Yesterdays excuse was that it was a mite too windy for me.. !
Old 2016-09-05, 04:25 PM   #96
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Wrecks View Post
A) I am bending over forwards way too much.
I had the same issue as a beginner. I think it irons itself out over time. As a beginner, you're doing what is necessary to keep balanced. I wouldn't worry about it too much, or try to fix it all at once.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-05, 04:46 PM   #97
Regina Wrecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
I had the same issue as a beginner. I think it irons itself out over time. As a beginner, you're doing what is necessary to keep balanced. I wouldn't worry about it too much, or try to fix it all at once.
Any help with my Simian appearance...??
Old 2016-09-05, 11:22 PM   #98
Anch
Beginner Unicyclist

Hello Spinningwoman,
I happened to see your thread today and I read all the replies. I'm also a beginner or more of your term, pre-unicyclist. If my record will help you feel better, I have been trying to learn since 2014 and have been putting the effort on and off. So far I have been logging in 60+ hours (I made a log of it). The result: I was able to go one revolution freely and that's it. If I ride in my hallway, I could go the whole length (3 revolutions) without touching the wall..only sometimes. I found most people would share the length of time it took them before they could free ride; that is after they accomplished it. But I had never seen anyone sharing how much time they put in and still unable to do it. So here it is for your record. And yes, I'm younger, 48.
Anch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-06, 06:04 AM   #99
Spinningwoman

Anch, you should post the intro you have put in 'visitor messages' as a new thread so people will see it, and give us some more info. What unicycle do you have, where (apart from your hallway) do you have to practice etc. What area do you live in - unfortunately, since you posted in the middle of my night, I would guess we are probably separated by the Atlantic. Hearing about your struggle to learn doesn't really make me feel 'better' of course, since it reinforces my worst fears, but I'm really glad you decided to post it. What the world needs is more unicycle coaches! I would so love to be able to spend a day with a teacher in a gym somewhere. I would happily pay for that!
Old 2016-09-06, 08:08 AM   #100
Danny Colyer
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
And in fact, are there really any rich or famous unicyclists?
Ross Noble?

Although of course his fame and fortune are completely unrelated to unicycling.
Old 2016-09-06, 08:29 AM   #101
Spinningwoman

Day 35/29

Another early Skatepark visit before work. One extra pedal on one of my Vivolo curb starts, and a bit smoother with my attempts to mount 'wrong' foot first. Two things are keeping me cheerful - one is that I know I am getting better at what I can do, even what I can do doesn't currently include even a couple of revolutions unsupported. The other is that it is an excellent work out - I could go to the gym every morning for an hour and not be learning anything at all, whereas with this at least there is a chance I will get a payoff one day! The work with the poles is also feeling like it is leading somewhere - I can go quite a long way now without UPDing and it gives me a chance to practice stringing pedal strokes together and turning, and catching my balance, and almost-free mounting. If skiers can use poles, why not unicyclists?

I think a big part of my current blockage is not being able to pedal fast enough. I think maybe I am going to take a long time to learn because basically I am learning to unicycle slowly, which is more difficult than unicycling fast! But I just don't seem to be able to move my feet faster without just stepping off the pedals.
Old 2016-09-06, 10:03 AM   #102
Alucard
Unicyclist

quote..." But I just don't seem to be able to move my feet faster without just stepping off the pedals. "

Do you think BOS ? Bum On Seat. Bag Of Spuds
Try to imagine your bum is like a of spuds and it is heavy, sinking into the seat. It works for me when I remember to think it.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-06, 10:13 AM   #103
Spinningwoman

Alucard, I'm sure that's it. I do think it think it think it - but then I get tense and my legs take over again.
Old 2016-09-06, 03:26 PM   #104
Anch
Beginner Unicyclist

Hello Spinningwoman,
I had a hard time posting in the forum here. Actually over a month ago I did try posting my difficulty hoping to get some advice. After over an hour of trying I gave up (posting too long so I spent time editing it; finally it went through, but into the area I was not allowed to post as a member; so I finally stopped trying). Anyway to answer your questions. I use Torker CX 20". I practice mostly in the living room and in my garage. Spent my first 30+ hours in the hallway; I learned that was too long. I got pushed to ride freely by my boyfriend actually and on July 2nd this year I went into the abyss. That scared the heck out of me!! I was so scared I could not even pedal. I was frozen!!
I am fortunate to have tennis courts within a walking distance from my house and thatís where I experienced the feeling of unicycling (effortless, floating, flying..literally). That happened when I held my boyfriendís hand as he cycled his recumbent bike along side me. Yes, speed is an important element.
Old 2016-09-06, 03:37 PM   #105
Anch
Beginner Unicyclist

I understand exactly what you're going through. I believe you will learn (and get it) much faster than me seeing your VDO. Youíre far braver!! I have more reservation in my practice because I play tennis in a league and when I am scheduled for a match, I should be ready to play (not injured). Also my job requires some standing (as a trainer). When I started learning, I fell badly a few times. One time I fell flat on my knees. Luckily they were not broken. I then started wearing a helmet, elbow pads, knee pads and thick socks to cover up to my chins and calves. Still I have had no less than 20 bruises that come and go.
I have to say not all the time and effort have been lost. Last year I stripped over the stairs and my body reacted in such a way that prevented me from a bad fall. A couple months ago I lunged over for the ball in a single match and fell (sideways). The fall felt natural like my body knew how to fall. My footwork in tennis has been better. And as you said, practicing unicycle is a good exercise. I now pass the frustration stage. I keep doing it partly because itís a decent exercise, itís still a challenge and to prove those who say if you can walk, you can unicycle or if you keep practicing, youíll get it. I could prove them right..or wrong.
I wish we lived close together. Iím in Florida.

Tags
beginner, devon, learner, learning journal, slow progress