Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 642 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2019-12-02, 11:34 AM   #10816
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSchmitt View Post
While doing a sharp turn at approximately 14-15mph I hit an unseen bump that caused a upd, and I ran a step or 2 and tripped on a curb
You can't really blame the unicycle for the kerb lying around. I reckon you just got up on the uni again after the fall and worried about the wound later at home.
I hope it will heal soon. Those chafing wounds hurt quite a lot.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-02, 10:37 PM   #10817
Quax1974
Wobbly

Quote:
So today on my 233rd ride/2,293rd mile for the year I experienced one of the worst uni accidents I've had.
That looks like it hurts... For some time to come...
Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Quote:
I actually screamed while cleaning it in the shower after the ride.

I really wish it was filmed.
What kept you from filming the shower experience ?
Quax1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-11, 12:34 PM   #10818
thompsonmax

Hello everyone. I am new to unicycling and I was wonder how people can cycling in winter. Is it hard?
thompsonmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-11, 04:20 PM   #10819
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonmax View Post
Hello everyone. I am new to unicycling and I was wonder how people can cycling in winter. Is it hard?
Many riders ride in the winter. I do mostly road riding and if it is just cold there is no difference except I don't sweat so much. For wet or snowy conditions good pedals with some grip/spikes are recommended. I would not want to use rubber pedals. For normal snow with less traction I've not had any problems but for very icy or ice with water on top I would not ride with normal/non-studded tires. I don't have studded tires so I don't ride in super slick conditions. Just like walking or running, you can end up flat on your back/butt in an instant if it is very slick.

JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-11, 08:42 PM   #10820
ruari
 

Quote:
Welcome and it is great but you might want to define what the weather is like where you live.

I live in Oslo Norway and unicycle commute all year around. While I have been using a big wheeled 36" for the warmer months, now that we have hit the icy and snowy weather I have switched to my 26" (for the most part).

On this I mostly run a Kenda Klondike XT 2.35" spiked tyre (which I love). This is great for most conditions and things are made easier by the fact that I have VCX+ 3-holed cranks. When it it clear, just ice or hard packed snow I run them at 100mm. If the snow is deeper and/or slushier I move the crank positions accordingly. Sometimes I run them at one length on the way in to work and if conditions change during the day I switch them for the trip home.

My second winter tyre is a Duro Wildlife Leopard 3" tyre. Last year I switched to this when there was a lot of snow. It has fairly good grip anyway and this year should be better as I self-studded it.The only reason I don't run it all the time is that the Kenda is such a comfortable tyre to ride and is a fair bit lighter and more nimble.

I also have a third option for this year. That is a 24" that runs a 4" Vee Mission Command tyre. I have only done a few tests runs with this but already I can see it is fantastic fun in deep snow! It is a little more effort on hard tarmac and has more rolling resistance however so I will save it for if/when the real snow arrives... but I am looking forward to it.

Here is a picture of the 26 and 24 sporting the Klondike and Mission Command respectively.

Now... to bring this back on topic, yesterday a local celebrity happened to film me as I left bakery where I picked up a croissant on the way to work. Not the most fascinating video, not least because I am a little cautious as I set off because of the smooth ice in front of me immediately after I mount and do an initial turn, but I am fine once I get into my stride.

Anyway, more because of his number of followers than any amazing skills the video hit 80,000 views in 24 hours!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B54pfxvBACY/

P.S. That is the 26" running the Kenda Klondike XT
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-11, 09:45 PM   #10821
ruari
 

Oh and here is another video this time from twitter of a different user who caught me the day before that

https://twitter.com/morten_lode/stat...00245442588672

Again, not super interesting but it gives you some idea that it is certainly possible to comfortably unicycle in the winter.
Old 2019-12-11, 10:01 PM   #10822
Gockie
OMG I rode a 5 foot giraffe

Quote:
I can unicycle very comfortably in the winter.... however, in Sydney Australia, our winter temperatures would resemble some other people's summer temperatures.

Guessing that's not quite the reply you were after.

Last edited by Gockie; 2019-12-11 at 10:03 PM.
Gockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-12, 10:08 AM   #10823
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruari View Post
Anyway, more because of his number of followers than any amazing skills the video hit 80,000 views in 24 hours!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B54pfxvBACY/

P.S. That is the 26" running the Kenda Klondike XT
Smart, posting your link here too to get even more viewers :P. I don't think Denmark has snow yet, luckily, as I will drive there for work next week.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-12, 10:27 PM   #10824
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canapin View Post
There are temporary decorations in a park I often ride in. The walls of these decorations are all mirrors. I used them to make a selfie while riding and the slight deformations of the mirror added a little wheel to my unicycle
Belated response I know. Anyway, what a lucky shot! The extra wheel is so slean! You could never stage this if you wanted.
Klaas Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-12, 10:51 PM   #10825
Klaas Bil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC View Post
the two riders on 36" who did the 82km ride this year.
Incidentally, I recently met the second rider in this pic. What a small world...
Old 2019-12-12, 11:27 PM   #10826
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Ice is especially hard. I recommend starting out on soft snow; it's a lot more "user friendly".

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-13, 09:48 AM   #10827
thompsonmax

Hi everyone. Thanks for the warm greeting. I still don't understand how you guys do it. For me, it is extremely hard and dangerous. Good luck everyone
thompsonmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-13, 09:29 PM   #10828
Alice Arctan
rhymes with dark tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaas Bil View Post
The extra wheel is so slean!
Slean?
Alice Arctan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-13, 09:39 PM   #10829
Klaas Bil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Arctan View Post
Slean?
Clean. As in, undistorted.

(I noticed the typo after the edit time window closed and judged it overkill to add a separate post to correct it - so thanks for asking.)
Old 2019-12-14, 02:17 PM   #10830
ruari
 

A colleague's partner captured a picture of me on the commute into work yesterday

Sadly we have had a run of warm weather and some rain so all the snow is gone.

Tags
сосиска, bright-nights, forest-park, latest, mumpitz, pictures, ride, unicycle