Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2009-04-16, 05:38 AM   #31
osmundo
Osmundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmVincent View Post
Are there any 36" frames floating around out there? I'd love to have a look at one of those.
I've been out of town lately and not in the loop. Here is a pic of my Triton 36er super Guni. It is fast, fun, light and very stiff. I've got a Wallis design seat that is also amazingly light. This pic was from Arches park last fall. They have some crazy scenic ribbons of road with some screaming descents. I'm planning on some big rides this summer. I love this uni.
Attached Images

osmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 01:11 AM   #32
brendan
Unicycling = trials

i'm not a big cocker fan, but i love that uni... you need to drill those cranks, or get some lighter isis cranks, seems like a shame to have such lightweight parts and then very heavy kh cranks.
Old 2009-04-17, 01:55 AM   #33
osmundo
Osmundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan View Post
i'm not a big cocker fan, but i love that uni... you need to drill those cranks, or get some lighter isis cranks, seems like a shame to have such lightweight parts and then very heavy kh cranks.
Yea, so I started with the lightweight isis cranks but they never would fit right...because of the length of the axle. I stripped two sets trying to get them on until I finally went with the moments. The new version of the KH/Schlumpf has longer axle to alleviate this problem.
I never thought of drilling them...maybe I'll poke a few more holes in them. Do you think I'd notice the difference?
I was getting a little bored of Cokering until I got the geared hub. It really lets me push the envelope and gets my adrenaline running.
Old 2009-04-17, 04:40 AM   #34
siafirede
Flex Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmundo View Post
Yea, so I started with the lightweight isis cranks but they never would fit right...because of the length of the axle. I stripped two sets trying to get them on until I finally went with the moments. The new version of the KH/Schlumpf has longer axle to alleviate this problem.
I never thought of drilling them...maybe I'll poke a few more holes in them. Do you think I'd notice the difference?
I was getting a little bored of Cokering until I got the geared hub. It really lets me push the envelope and gets my adrenaline running.
You need a handle for that geared 36! I can't imagine riding without one on mine. I am sure your geared 36 is at least a pound lighter than mine as I have heavy GB4 handles and a rail adapter...and I am still using the coker tube instead of a 29er tube. I don't think I will ever overcome the fear of using a 29er tube on it.

Is your wallis seat an air saddle?

I agree about getting bored of cokering 'til I got the geared hub.

Last edited by siafirede; 2009-04-17 at 04:41 AM.
siafirede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 05:43 AM   #35
osmundo
Osmundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by siafirede View Post
You need a handle for that geared 36! I can't imagine riding without one on mine.
I use the KH with both hands most of the time, so I just have adapted to what I have. I can still get her moving pretty good. The only problem has been that during a century ride last year my hands got cramped. I don't feel comfortable with long extensions and I don't like the weight. I'm going to build up a short GB-type handle in alloy when I find the time.
It is not an airseat, which I had prior to this. It is firm foam. At first it felt too hard but now it is far superior in comfort to the airseat on 25+ mile rides. It is a shame the Scott is out of the unicycle business. I was asking him about a V-grip handle and he said he is not taking orders and doesn't know when he ever will.
Old 2009-04-17, 09:23 AM   #36
Sponge
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbob View Post
No, but I've tried 4 20in different frames. I can tell you I'm not going to love any frame that much, so much so I pick a style other than the one I like most. The kh is lighter anyways, plus mine is stripped and the welds sanded down so a few more grams right there.
Some people can notice the subtleties of material and design that has a direct effect on the way the uni feels and handles. It's more noticeable on a bike frame for sure, but you can still appreciate it on a unicycle frame. In the bike industry, they all say Aluminium offers a very 'stale and lifeless' ride compared to Steel, Titanium, and CF. You won't really that aspect of alu on a uni, but there we have it.

The Triton is light, but it could be lighter. There was always the option of using tube walls that were 3/4 the thickness of the normal tubing, and could have removed those under-crown gussets. My primary aim wasn't to get it light, but miraculously, it still did turn out to be damn light.

Stripped KHs are only what, 5 grams lighter than a Triton? And sanding down welds? For people that really want to prove that their KH is lighter by doing all these petty mods, be my guest, as you're only shaving off a meagre few grams. It'd be better time spent if you cut every alternative side-knobble off your trials tyre off (saves much more weight than sanding/stripping a frame; and also offers more grip on sidehops).

Nice unis chaps, keep 'em comin'....
Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 11:04 AM   #37
semach.the.monkey
RTL #1 - Team Goonies

Sponge, where did your original thread that launched the Triton go? I'm sure I posted in that the weight of my 29" frame (which I think was 610g), but wanted to check back to make sure I was correct. However, no amount of searching either on here or google was able to track it down. It was such a popular thread with hundreds of replies and thousands of views that I can't believe it has just fallen off of Gilbys server

Anyway, I also wondered if there were any official figures for the amount of these frames sold, in which sizes and where in the world they went. I'll start off a list;

STM 29" UK

STM
semach.the.monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 11:43 AM   #38
IsaacSteiner
not riding much right now

Send a message via MSN to IsaacSteiner
Hmmm ... I've got a titanium hub..

-Isaac
IsaacSteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 12:28 PM   #39
Jan Hulshagen
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
NB: This is just a thread for unis with titanium frames. Aluminium or steel unis with other titanium parts like the KH titanium Moment hub have their own respective threads to post in!
nice uni you got isaac! but you should post it in another thread
Jan Hulshagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 04:45 PM   #40
IsaacSteiner
not riding much right now

Send a message via MSN to IsaacSteiner
Oooppss!

Sorry about that..I guess I forgot to read the whole description...

Unfortunately, I can't delete my post, so if a moderator wants to delete it, go ahead.

Sorry,

-Isaac
IsaacSteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 12:07 AM   #41
lpounds
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to lpounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by siafirede View Post
You need a handle for that geared 36! I can't imagine riding without one on mine. I am sure your geared 36 is at least a pound lighter than mine as I have heavy GB4 handles and a rail adapter...and I am still using the coker tube instead of a 29er tube. I don't think I will ever overcome the fear of using a 29er tube on it.

Is your wallis seat an air saddle?

I agree about getting bored of cokering 'til I got the geared hub.
Agreed. You need a handle for sure. But that UNI needs about nothing else. It is the holy grail, the pinnacle of road unicycling.

So I've got a KH 36 in the mail right now... would a geared hub really change the whole long distance unicycling experience? I've wanted one for a looong time, but is it worth it?

lpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 03:11 AM   #42
Emile.m

Send a message via MSN to Emile.m
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacSteiner View Post
Unfortunately, I can't delete my post, so if a moderator wants to delete it, go ahead.
Wich moderator?
Emile.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 08:01 PM   #43
Sponge
Unicyclist

Hey Isaac no biggie, I'm not too fussed, it looks neat so I'm letting it slide

osumundo, and others, get some more angles and pictures up, these Tritons look very very good!
Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 06:06 PM   #44
UNIdentified
Unicyclist

I wish i could post some action photo's of my triton, but sadly it hasnt been assembled yet...

i just figure, whats the point of having an incredible frame, if your riding a wheel that almost touches your frame on both sides?

besides, i picked up some old habits again that are taking a lot of my time and money.. can anyone say, Volkswagen?

i'll try and get some pics of the triton though, she is a beauty.. kinda like a fine samurai sword, to be appreciated, forever.
Old 2009-05-19, 02:00 PM   #45
siafirede
Flex Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpounds View Post
Agreed. You need a handle for sure. But that UNI needs about nothing else. It is the holy grail, the pinnacle of road unicycling.

So I've got a KH 36 in the mail right now... would a geared hub really change the whole long distance unicycling experience? I've wanted one for a looong time, but is it worth it?
Oops, missed this reply. You will be quite happy with an ungeared KH36 for quite some time I think. 36er with 114mm or 125mm cranks is always a fun ride, but having a geared hub does in fact really change the long distance experience. It will require a lot more leg strength, but it adds a whole new take on distance unicycling. I can't really say if it is worth it for you, as it is really a personal thing. You do not need a geared hub to do distance riding as you are aware, but if you ever get bored with road unicycling (like I was starting to), the geared hub will excite you again. It requires more practice and if something goes wrong with the hub it is harder to fix since you have to send it back to Florian(although I have had no issues with mine).

I love my KH/Schlumpf 36 and it is always a blast to ride, especially rolling hills and mountain roads. I have only 600 miles on it since getting it in December, since I have been busy with work and I am now commuting via bicycle.

If you have the money, and want to experience road riding differently, go ahead and get it.

Tags
custom, titanium, triton, unicycles, wurst