Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2016-07-08, 10:02 PM   #406
Newt
29"er everyday

I got a Fusion Zero only a few weeks ago, and after installing it and going for a few test rides I can swear by the same comments as most people here have already done. Set it angled back to one notch visible above the back, and rode for a while.
  • First ride was spent complaining about the hardness of the foam, even with padded cycling shorts
  • Second ride was marveling at the fact my thighs were no longer rubbing the inside of the seat, and rejoicing at the lessened pain I was already experiencing
  • By the time the tenth ride came around, I was no longer wearing the padded shorts, and was riding as comfortably as with the Freeride seat I had before.
Now, if only I had a better way of locking the seatpost down so I didn't have to mess with my no-longer-as-quick release.
Newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-10, 09:33 PM   #407
unibokk
Unicyclist

[QUOTE=Newt;1671446]I got a Fusion Zero only a few weeks ago, and after [*]First ride was spent complaining about the hardness of the foam, QUOTE]

Funny, I remember checking the foam in the Zero and it was about the same consistency as the foam in the Nimbus gel saddle, but the covering on the Zero is very stiff.

Last edited by unibokk; 2016-07-10 at 09:35 PM.
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-30, 09:42 AM   #408
kamikaze
Stormrider

Send a message via ICQ to kamikaze Send a message via AIM to kamikaze Send a message via MSN to kamikaze Send a message via Yahoo to kamikaze Send a message via Skype™ to kamikaze
Yesterday I had a little 20km ride and the pain was excruciating.

I'm facing two options here, amputation of my balls or getting a different saddle. I think I'll order another slim.

Join Unicyclemap.com!
----
[ Karlsruhe/Germany - kamikaze@bsdforen.de ]
----
onewheeldave: deep in my heart I feel that unicycling was born of heroes and atheletes, not clowns and entertainers
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-30, 10:54 AM   #409
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
I'm facing two options here, amputation of my balls or getting a different saddle. I think I'll order another slim.
Pff, check this guy over here, not even committed to the sport enough to lop his lads off!
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-30, 01:10 PM   #410
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
Quote:
Yesterday I had a little 20km ride and the pain was excruciating.

assuming with the zero and not the one? The Fusion one was the trick for me.
Old 2016-08-31, 06:01 AM   #411
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist

Quote:
I can pictures most of the complaints around the Zero but not this one !

Maybe you should consider a bike short or tighter underwear to keep things out of the way...
Old 2016-08-31, 07:57 AM   #412
kamikaze
Stormrider

Send a message via ICQ to kamikaze Send a message via AIM to kamikaze Send a message via MSN to kamikaze Send a message via Yahoo to kamikaze Send a message via Skype™ to kamikaze
On a bicycle I have the saddle pointed down, so I sit on my behind and not on the sensitive stuff. But on the Zero I slid around if I don't point the nose up a little. And that means my parts get a lot of pressure. This happens on all unicycle saddles, but it was much less of a problem on the KH Slim.

Join Unicyclemap.com!
----
[ Karlsruhe/Germany - kamikaze@bsdforen.de ]
----
onewheeldave: deep in my heart I feel that unicycling was born of heroes and atheletes, not clowns and entertainers
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-31, 01:38 PM   #413
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
You may find that tilting the saddle up one more notch may put you farther back on the saddle, and make it more comfortable. It sounds like you have too much pressure between your sit bones. Tilt up should help with that. If you're using a handlebar and leaning forward quite a bit, then maybe not, but if you're sitting in an upright position, then you need quite a lot of upward tilt to put your sit bones in the right place. Note on a bicycle you're leaned over at least 45 degrees, so if your saddle is flat to the horizon, this means relative to your torso, your saddle tilt is quite high. Gravity is obviously pushing in a different direction on a bicycle (relative to your back) but still... I would give it a shot.
Old 2016-09-07, 03:55 AM   #414
danger_uni
Kris Holm

Quote:
On a bicycle I have the saddle pointed down, so I sit on my behind and not on the sensitive stuff. But on the Zero I slid around if I don't point the nose up a little. And that means my parts get a lot of pressure. This happens on all unicycle saddles, but it was much less of a problem on the KH Slim.
What handlebar configuration are you using?
If you are sliding forwards, it makes a difference. I would not recommend only using the plastic handle if sliding forwards is an issue.
There are two recommended options in the guide here. (note - it pictures the Zero, not the F1 as I haven't gotten around to taking updated photos).

Also, re angle - that is something to continue to experiment with. For a long time I kept my saddle with 1 ridge visible at the back for muni (the higher angle #3 in the above link), with a straight T-handle positioned very close to the saddle. I had 2 ridges visible for distance riding in combination with the extended, bent T-handle (the lower angle #2 in the above link).

On the F1 saddle, 2 ridges visible equates to having the back of the saddle foam flat (as opposed to the Zero, where it is still slightly inclined). More recently I've moved to this flatter configuration for both muni and distance. At first, I felt like I was falling forwards with the short T-handle and wasn't totally convinced for tech trails where occasionally I wanted to have both hands extended (e.g. riding along a log bridge).

It took a few rides to come around. While it is too flat an angle for anyone who rides extended distances hands-free, personally I know prefer it - no front pressure, super comfortable, and I don't miss the lack of front support. It feels very close to a good bike saddle.

Last edited by danger_uni; 2016-09-07 at 03:59 AM.
danger_uni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curvature, fusion, low, saddle, ultra, unicycle