Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-08-15, 03:21 AM   #16
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Is the Fusion One as wide as the KH Street towards the back of the saddle? I noticed the Stadium is not.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 11:20 AM   #17
Moslki
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
I rode 8 miles on my new Stadium saddle yesterday.

As I mentioned previously I normally ride with a KH Street with my longest ride sans UPD around 2+ hours. I have the KH Zero which I've ridden a few times on very short muni rides but stopped using it when I got saddle sores. I've been meaning to try it again on road rides but hesitate investing any more time into it, especially since there's a new version.

The Stadium wasn't as difficult to ride as the Zero and I didn't get saddle sores but I'm not sure I like it over the Fusion Street. It's seems almost as hard as the Zero. I wasn't able to keep my butt towards the back of the saddle like I can with the Fusion Street. Now I'm wondering about the Fusion One. Is it really as "soft" as the Fusion Street. If it is then I suppose I should give it a try. The ability to change angles would be one advantage that it has over the Stadium. Perhaps I've just gotten so use to my Fusion Street that I don't need to make any saddle changes. For me, "squishyness" on the sides towards the middle of the saddle is good. That's where I tend to have trouble with rubbing that creates saddle sores.

One other thing to note about the Stadium is that the cover is stapled onto the base. When I bought it at Unicon, Roger mentioned that replacement covers will be available in the future. I wonder if the Fusion One has a replaceable cover.
Hi Vertigo

Thanks for the review of the different saddles (I might get a stadium for my Muni). I've got the Zero on my road Uni (36er) and it really is great compared to the banana shape saddles. I am quite skinny and bony so at first I found the saddle too firm/hard. It took quite a few rides to get used to it (the first few rides were a bit of a shock and they were painful in your butt!) but somehow after a while your body gets confortable with it and you don't notice the saddle being hard at all.. I love the feeling of freedom you get when sitting on it: you can shift your butt/hips back and forth quite a lot and you don't feel 'stuck' in one position like you do in a banana shape saddle..

I think it is worth giving the Zero (or Fusion one) quite a few goes for long distance riding (have never used it for Muni so can't say what it is like in that situation..).
Moslki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 02:15 PM   #18
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Quote:
The ability to change angles would be one advantage that it has over the Stadium.
You can make very significant changes in angle with this KH seatpost, which I use.

Name:  seatpost-adjustable.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  77.4 KB

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 10:37 PM   #19
pierrox
Unicyclist

Great seat-post, but as I wrote on your Strava, surely your normal seat post allows for some adjustment? When I installed my Stadium on my uni - same seat post as Terry, it's true that it was pointing down, certainly more than the KH seat it replaced. I first rode it almost flat but didn't like the feel from sitting in the middle. I then adjusted it upward, and it was much better. It will take some getting used to, but surely less than a Zero, and the potential is great from the 10 minutes I rode it.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-16, 02:31 AM   #20
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
Great seat-post, but as I wrote on your Strava, surely your normal seat post allows for some adjustment?
I've have the nose up as far as possible on both rides. Yesterday it was much better after making an effort to keep my sit bones as far back as possible and my hands on the handle. That's when I noticed the back end of the Stadium saddle isn't as wide as the KH Street saddle. I'll give it more time.

I could get the adjustable seat post. Didn't think about that when I bought the saddle at Unicon. Also didn't know about the KH One. The cost of a Stadium and adjustable seat post is slightly more than the cost of a KH One if you already have the pivotal seat post from the KH Zero.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-16, 04:01 PM   #21
Zachary Sykes
Unicyclist

Does anyone know if it is compatible with the Nimbus Shadow Handle base? I know that the Zero isn't. But I didn't know if there was a difference there, since the reinforcement plate works with it now.
Zachary Sykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-16, 04:14 PM   #22
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
no, it is basically the same base as the zero other than the new hole for the reinforcement plate. It will not work with the shadow bar.
Old 2016-08-16, 05:40 PM   #23
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Quote:
Is the Fusion One as wide as the KH Street towards the back of the saddle? I noticed the Stadium is not.
I can snag a pic when I get home. I believe it is slightly thinner, but I could be wrong.
Old 2016-08-17, 12:44 AM   #24
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Sykes View Post
Does anyone know if it is compatible with the Nimbus Shadow Handle base? I know that the Zero isn't. But I didn't know if there was a difference there, since the reinforcement plate works with it now.
Even if it's not officially supported it can probably be made to work. I use a Zero with a Shadow handle.
Attached Images

Last edited by lightbulbjim; 2016-08-17 at 12:45 AM.
lightbulbjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-17, 01:46 AM   #25
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
Even if it's not officially supported it can probably be made to work. I use a Zero with a Shadow handle.
have a pic of the base? did you do any bending? any bolts not flush with a flange? If so, how did you go about bending it evenly?
Old 2016-08-17, 01:59 AM   #26
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
I've have the nose up as far as possible on both rides.
You could try to put a couple of washers between the saddle and the front part of the seat post, that'll give it some more angle. I had to do that on my Qu'Ax uni before I switched to a KH saddle.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-17, 05:46 AM   #27
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggleaddict View Post
have a pic of the base? did you do any bending? any bolts not flush with a flange? If so, how did you go about bending it evenly?
I documented the original mod here: http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...&postcount=335

Some more recent photos are attached.

To bend the tabs I just used an adjustable wrench. To check they were even I laid the Shadow base upside down on a flat surface and used a carpenter's square against the surface. By going slow and checking my work often it ended up pretty straight and even.

I didn't take the tabs all the way to horizontal because I was cold bending the aluminium and didn't want to fatigue it. In the above linked thread somebody later described a way of hot bending it, which I may try if I ever do it again. It's not a big deal that the tabs aren't quite horizontal though - since the saddle base is plastic it soaks up the small amount of misalignment.

To stop the unused pivotal bolt rattling I have a piece of soft PVC tubing threaded onto it. Originally I had a piece of foam squashed in there but it would still make a noise if I shook the uni hard.

I've had this setup running for a bit over a year now, and have 1400km on it so far. No problems at all.

Note that my experience is with the Zero, but I assume the One has the same bolt spacing.
Attached Images

lightbulbjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fusion, fusion one, fusion zero, fusion zero saddle, kris holm, saddle, saddles