Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-03-21, 12:28 AM   #16
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
Harvard has some nice stairways as well, but I'm pretty sure it's too uptight for unicycling. MIT seems OK as far as the vibe, but it has very few stairways.
MIT had a unicycle club in the early 70s; the guy who ran it was one of the founding members of the Unicycling Society of America.

Yes, you need a 20". Exactly what type depends on your end goal, of course. If it includes riding down/up stairs, Trials or Street is the category to shop in. Smaller wheels make learning most skills a lot easier.

"The "impending disaster that never quite happens" is the the Eureka moment of unicycling.
Everything that follows is just refinement."
-- Engineer on a Unicycle
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-21, 03:24 AM   #17
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Exactly what type depends on your end goal, of course.
If your end goal is to keep practicing, then get a 20".
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 02:14 PM   #18
cliffhirsch
Boston metrowest muni

I'm ready to take the plunge...although after yesterday's 11 mile ride, a 36" would be nice too. Next... I'm looking at the usual suspects -- Impact, Nimbus, KH. All models appear to be a few years old, not that these things change much. Any rumors regarding what's coming for 2017? I'd hate to buy a new uni circa 2015 and then find out that the new 2017 models weight 3 pounds, and have auto-flip, follow-me drone, anti-chaf and e-jump assist features.
cliffhirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 03:03 PM   #19
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhirsch View Post
although after yesterday's 11 mile ride, a 36" would be nice too.
As a beginner, by the time I could ride further than 1/4 mile sans UPD, I became obsessed with riding long distances. A large wheel seemed more interesting at that point. Over time, however, the novelty of riding long distances (on pavement) wore off. There are plenty of places to ride off-road in my neighborhood. I caught the mUni bug riding my starter, 24" Torker on dirt; once I experienced riding off-road, riding on the road wasn't as fun. No offense to 36" riders. Some riders use them to commute. It takes a certain kind of bravery to, at any moment, be ready to outrun a 36" UPD.

+1 for do you need a 20"? I ride an Equinox. The square, knurled crown helped me learn one-footed idling and riding. It's the perfect compromise for learning a variety of techniques: freestyle, street, trials. I learned seat-in-front riding on the 20", and that made using handle bars easy on my mUni. Once I got a 20", learning idling and backwards riding happened pretty quickly.

I would wait on a 36". The more technique you learn on a smaller wheel, the more confident you'll be on the larger wheel.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
do i need a 20