Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-05-17, 08:05 PM   #16
William393
Supreme Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by waaalrus View Post
I think one foot is an important skill that improves your overall balance on the unicycle. I don't ride one footed while I'm mountain unicycling, for instance, but I feel that the fact that I can ride one footed well with both feet has saved me from falling many times when my foot goes all or part way off the pedal. (Of course the better skill to have might be to keep your foot on the pedal.) Adding in juggling trains your brain to be able to do the skill when your full attention is not on it.
I had the opportunity to unicycle indoors during a juggling festival on Saturday and took advantage of this rare opportunity to get down juggling while riding one foot in a figure eight and to work on some other riding with hands behind the back with varying levels of success. I have backwards and wheelwalk in a straight line but not in a circle. I didn't get anywhere with one foot backwards or coasting which will require much more practice. I also need to practice wheelwalking while pausing to lift one leg so I can get a club under it. That was eluding me on Saturday:
I love people pushing the envelope of uni-juggling!! Personally, I've spent the last nearly 3 years just trying to do consistent double club spins while unicycling. I just switched from my 36" to my 29" and after a brief adjustment, I'm making a lot more progress.

I always dreamed of getting one-foot riding down so that I could throw consistent under-the-leg while riding. after seeing this video, I can imagine a 1-foot wheel walk with under-the-leg throws!!

Keep posting these wonderful videos!!! I also love the hula hooping while uni-juggling!!! Amazing. Few know how much perseverance goes into these feats, even fewer can understand why we do it! (Why do we do it?? )

Keep it up! You are amazing! Anyone who even works at it for a while, regardless of what you actually achieve, I give you enormous props!!!
William393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-17, 08:11 PM   #17
William393
Supreme Commander

Acrorebel,

What are you wearing on your hands in this video?? Here I am juggling while idling for over 2 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRzWDBm-9M

Simply gloves? Or protective wrist guards?

Great work! I just uni-juggle covering ground. For years, I simply uni-juggled 5-10 miles/day without a drop, single club spins, in rain, snow, wind. Turning 60, I suddenly wanted to do more.
Old 2018-05-17, 08:24 PM   #18
William393
Supreme Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
Oh well, juggling while idling is one unicycle skill that can be practiced indoors, so in reality I have no excuse!
Large public parks often have paved areas. I find public schools have perfectly maintained wide sidewalks, and are very quiet after hours or even when school is in session. For me, double spins require me to look UP almost constantly, and it's a problem to look into the sun (another reason I like an unflawed sidewalk). So at the right time of day, the school building provides shade.

Waalrus! Great videos! Skills!!!

Song!! Want to do the Ride to Coney Island together this year???

Last edited by William393; 2018-05-17 at 08:25 PM.
Old 2018-05-17, 10:31 PM   #19
bungeejoe
Joe Myers

I must have been learning all the wrong way...

Let me first appreciate what each of you has contributed and demonstrated. And Iím no where near your abilities.

But I taught myself how to juggle while riding a unicycle in the street while on a 36Ē during my commute trips. If I dropped anything in the street most of the vehicles immediately swerved to run a tire over it. One night I even got shot in the butt with an air rifle.

I donít do anything as fancy as you all do but I learned any skill really isnít a skill if you canít do it on command any where your asked or demanded. Or else you might wonder why your butt hurts after the guns have been fired.

So I donít ride somewhere to juggle. I just usually juggle everywhere I ride. Even during muni I frequently have more than the normal number of balls stuck in my shorts. If possible I prefer to finish events I ride in by juggling while crossing the finish line.

Riding backwards juggling doing figure eights one footed on the finish line of a mountain bike race ó now thatís a good challenge for me to work toward.

Funny, I didnít notice anyone mentioning any methods for throw accurately yet in this thread. Maybe Iím the only one who had to learn not to snap my wrists after adding juggling to riding a unicycle.

By trial and error I picked up most of the other suggestions along many miles of street and sidewalk unicycle juggling.

JM
Attached Images

bungeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-18, 02:15 AM   #20
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

Quote:
I found it relatively easy and not particularly tiring although the wind can make it more challenging and I'm not hopping very high:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi29gvqjf7M/

I also realized yesterday that if you're planning to juggle in front of you it's probably better to work up to it by practicing riding arms hugging you in the front (straightjacket style) than hands behind the back. It's a slightly different balance. It also gives me an idea for a performance routine if I ever take part in a show or competition.
Great advice and that's some great juggling while hopping on the unicycle. I may try that out soon, but my hopping technique stinks due to hardly ever doing it. I'd like to be able to ride off a curb while juggling without stopping the juggling.

Basically, I'd like to be able to do almost everything I do while joggling except on a unicycle. Obviously can't do everything, but I can get close enough. To stop and go while juggling on a unicycle would be very helpful for parades.
Acrorebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-18, 03:49 AM   #21
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
One of the most tiring things I've practiced is hula hooping/juggling/idling but I got rid of my hula hoop a while ago and haven't done it in a while
Woah, that kind of stuff reminds me of the Amazing Larry Vee. Ever seen him? He's a master of ridiculous combo tricks, many of which look super-awkward. And I don't think he makes them extra awkward for show; they're just really hard to combine! Like riding a unicycle while doing a hula hoop while spinning a ring on each wrist while juggling 3 balls. That's maybe kind of a basic one for him. Great work on your part!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungeejoe View Post
Even during muni I frequently have more than the normal number of balls stuck in my shorts.
Oh, so tempting. To sig that at the bottom of my posts... No! I won't. Sorry moms & dads...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungeejoe
Funny, I didnít notice anyone mentioning any methods for throw accurately yet in this thread. Maybe Iím the only one who had to learn not to snap my wrists after adding juggling to riding a unicycle.
Probably not. If you juggled clubs a lot, you might be getting the snap from there, where spin velocity is an important component of each throw. I've seen where Russain juggling teachers use a wrist-mounted hand support that holds your wrist at the optimum angle for throwing and catching. I guess the idea is that your arms do most of the aiming and changing wrist angle can make things less accurate.

Like any other component skill of a larger combination, for best results get the skill down solid while doing it by itself; this will help you focus on all the little details you need for that particular skill, and then after that you add the next skill and refine your technique to make them both work, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrorebel View Post
To stop and go while juggling on a unicycle would be very helpful for parades.
Not as much as you think, unless you mean stopping the juggle and starting it back up again. If you ride to a stop and then go again, your audience won't really notice you did anything. Idling in a circle I think they'd like. But when it comes to juggling, one of the best things you can do is drop one, and recover by any method.

Most of my parade and/or show juggling experience was on giraffes. When I dropped one, I would first try to reach it, which is silly on a 6' giraffe. Eventually someone picks it up and, amazingly, almost never runs off with it and wants to see you catch it into a juggle. If you're on a regular unicycle, being able to pick up a ball or club is a very handy skill, and audiences are really impressed if you can do it. Never pick it up on the first try though; that makes it look easy.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-20, 02:07 AM   #22
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by William393 View Post
Acrorebel,

What are you wearing on your hands in this video?? Here I am juggling while idling for over 2 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRzWDBm-9M

Simply gloves? Or protective wrist guards?

Great work! I just uni-juggle covering ground. For years, I simply uni-juggled 5-10 miles/day without a drop, single club spins, in rain, snow, wind. Turning 60, I suddenly wanted to do more.
Thanks! They're just cheap work gloves. I wear them in case I fall off and land on my hands. I really dislike the feel of wrist-guards, I've worn them twice and that was it for me.

Before I took up unicycling I was a joggler for many years, so it just made sense to juggle while unicycling once I was comfortable with one wheel. That's awesome, going 5 - 10 miles juggling while unicycling without dropping. I've done 4 to 5 dropless miles a few times with balls. I still can't juggle clubs while unicycling, but I'm almost there, I only learned club juggling very recently.

I hope I can be as cool as you when I turn 60.

Last edited by Acrorebel; 2018-05-20 at 02:08 AM.
Old 2018-05-21, 09:41 PM   #23
waaalrus
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by William393 View Post
after seeing this video, I can imagine a 1-foot wheel walk with under-the-leg throws!!

Keep posting these wonderful videos!!! I also love the hula hooping while uni-juggling!!! Amazing. Few know how much perseverance goes into these feats, even fewer can understand why we do it! (Why do we do it?? )

Keep it up! You are amazing! Anyone who even works at it for a while, regardless of what you actually achieve, I give you enormous props!!!
Thanks for the accolades! Which leg are you talking about for the under-the-leg throws in 1-foot wheel walk, the leg on the frame or the pushing leg? I envision getting to the former long before the latter.

I got a recent under the leg on video but it wasn't very clean:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi3ZMujD5TO/

I'm probably better off practicing one-footed wheel walk juggling and when I have that better go back and try juggling under the leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Woah, that kind of stuff reminds me of the Amazing Larry Vee. Ever seen him? He's a master of ridiculous combo tricks, many of which look super-awkward. And I don't think he makes them extra awkward for show; they're just really hard to combine! Like riding a unicycle while doing a hula hoop while spinning a ring on each wrist while juggling 3 balls. That's maybe kind of a basic one for him.
Thanks for the link! That was a cool video. There's lots in there that I cannot do one at a time.
waaalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-23, 12:13 PM   #24
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

Quote:
Woah, that kind of stuff reminds me of the Amazing Larry Vee. Ever seen him? He's a master of ridiculous combo tricks, many of which look super-awkward. And I don't think he makes them extra awkward for show; they're just really hard to combine! Like riding a unicycle while doing a hula hoop while spinning a ring on each wrist while juggling 3 balls. That's maybe kind of a basic one for him. Great work on your part!
Oh, so tempting. To sig that at the bottom of my posts... No! I won't. Sorry moms & dads...
Probably not. If you juggled clubs a lot, you might be getting the snap from there, where spin velocity is an important component of each throw. I've seen where Russain juggling teachers use a wrist-mounted hand support that holds your wrist at the optimum angle for throwing and catching. I guess the idea is that your arms do most of the aiming and changing wrist angle can make things less accurate.

Like any other component skill of a larger combination, for best results get the skill down solid while doing it by itself; this will help you focus on all the little details you need for that particular skill, and then after that you add the next skill and refine your technique to make them both work, etc.
Not as much as you think, unless you mean stopping the juggle and starting it back up again. If you ride to a stop and then go again, your audience won't really notice you did anything. Idling in a circle I think they'd like. But when it comes to juggling, one of the best things you can do is drop one, and recover by any method.

Most of my parade and/or show juggling experience was on giraffes. When I dropped one, I would first try to reach it, which is silly on a 6' giraffe. Eventually someone picks it up and, amazingly, almost never runs off with it and wants to see you catch it into a juggle. If you're on a regular unicycle, being able to pick up a ball or club is a very handy skill, and audiences are really impressed if you can do it. Never pick it up on the first try though; that makes it look easy.
Thanks for all the advice, John! Larry Vee is amazing, I hope to be able to do some of what he does some day. I have some parades and other events coming up, but I may just walk and juggle them.

I can now juggle while unicycling backwards for 100 feet or more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_XayxTbV_8

On a related note, a few days ago I juggled while idling for 12 minutes without any screw-ups(prior to this my record was 5 min).

Just need keep my weight on the seat and do it more smoothly; very soon I'll be working on backwards-juggling circles and figure 8s. Thanks again!
Old 2018-05-23, 07:03 PM   #25
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrorebel View Post
I can now juggle while unicycling backwards for 100 feet or more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_XayxTbV_8
Smooth! Your shoulders seem to be completely isolated from all the uni movement below. Good form! Now you just need a helmet/glasses mirror so you don't ride into any potholes...

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-29, 12:28 PM   #26
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

Quote:
Smooth! Your shoulders seem to be completely isolated from all the uni movement below. Good form! Now you just need a helmet/glasses mirror so you don't ride into any potholes...
Thanks, I'm slowly making progress. When/if I master backwards juggling figure 8s I'll do a tutorial, there are few if any for this combination skill.
Old 2018-05-30, 03:59 PM   #27
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

Thumbs up

Quote:
Back and forth on a basketball court we juggle clubs in a feed where the feeder is riding backwards and then we stop juggling to turn around at the end of the court and the feedees ride into position. I can ride back and forth with a single person continuously but would probably need a little practice with feeding while riding backwards. We should practice to see how tight a circle we can do it in. If we had one more person and everyone could transition forwards/backwards we could do a weave that would look good in a show.
I'm getting here a little late, but when I read "riding backwards and feeding," I almost fell out of my office chair! I had to read it twice to make sure I read it correctly. That is truly amazing! I've never seen anything like it. I can juggle clubs while riding forward, and I have a friend locally that can pass clubs while riding, but nothing on the scale of what you're doing. Way to go, man!!!!
Old 2018-06-02, 03:24 PM   #28
waaalrus
Unicyclist

Here's backwards riding in a counter clockwise circle while juggling clubs. I want to get it tighter and smoother. Compared to balls you have more angles to worry about. I also finally landed a full backwards figure 8 with wraparound arms but it was huge. I need to get that tighter before I try juggling it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjYXEWsjN94/

I started practicing to work up to skinnies this week, too. I think doing that and juggling may be a fun combination.

Last edited by waaalrus; 2018-06-02 at 03:27 PM.
waaalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-05, 09:47 PM   #29
William393
Supreme Commander

Quote:
Here's backwards riding in a counter clockwise circle while juggling clubs. I want to get it tighter and smoother. Compared to balls you have more angles to worry about. I also finally landed a full backwards figure 8 with wraparound arms but it was huge. I need to get that tighter before I try juggling it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjYXEWsjN94/

I started practicing to work up to skinnies this week, too. I think doing that and juggling may be a fun combination.
Really nice! I can appreciate all the time and hard work that goes into that skill!!!

What's next? I suggest double club spins!
Old 2018-06-08, 01:24 PM   #30
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

Update:

Can now juggle while idling either foot down almost equally well. I'd say my left foot is about 85% as good as my right(dominant) foot. It took a while for my left foot to catch up but I did learn faster than I did with my right foot. I think this is an example of 1 side teaching the other side.

I can sometimes do 2/3 of a backwards figure 8 while juggling, and getting better at transitioning to juggling backwards. The clockwise portion is usually easy, but it's going counterclockwise that I find very difficult(even without juggling I find counterclockwise slightly more difficult). Can't do it like the amazing Waaalrus, that's for sure. And I'm still using balls instead of clubs. I should master arms on my chest then work on juggling while doing the backwards figure 8s.

So glad I started this thread! Got to see some amazing things(especially from Waaalrus), and got some great advice. Once I figure out how to do this, will start working on some advanced skills.

Tags
backwards, backwards unicycling, juggling, tips, unicycling