Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-12-26, 05:55 AM   #16
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrorebel View Post
I'm still a beginner, so haven't been able to juggle while unicycling yet.
Before unicycling, playing kendama (Japanese ball and cup skill toy) was my exercise. In my first year of unicycling, I attempted to play kendama while unicycling and found it extremely difficult. Then, just last week (after another year went by), I attempted it again, and found I could do some pretty hard tricks while idling and riding forward. One of the prerequisites of doing kendama tricks (at least on the unicycle) is being able to keep the ball hanging straight down (not swinging) while moving forward or idling. Long story short, my unicycling had improved to the point where I could really focus on the kendama playing. Also, my balance had to improve so I could perform kendama tricks with one arm while compensating, balance-wise, with the rest of my body.

Regarding juggling and unicycling, I think the key is to improve the unicycling skills to the point of bringing back all the focus to juggling. Also, the arms are no longer responsible for balance, and the hips and feet must compensate for the motions of the hands.

I found I could play the guitar and ride unicycle while I was still a novice. The position of the arms and hands relative to the guitar...was conducive to balance, and the neck of the guitar provided a nice ballast.

My sense is that some riders avoid practicing other skills on the unicycle, perhaps fearing they'll be associated with a circus or considered a clown.

BTW, I was on the plane, where it's hard to avoid the TV, and there was a commercial for something or another, maybe a hotel, featuring a joggler. I did not even know what joggling was prior to you joining the forum, and I had to look up the term 'joggling' on the internet. Thanks for enlightening me!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-30, 03:13 AM   #17
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Before unicycling, playing kendama (Japanese ball and cup skill toy) was my exercise. In my first year of unicycling, I attempted to play kendama while unicycling and found it extremely difficult. Then, just last week (after another year went by), I attempted it again, and found I could do some pretty hard tricks while idling and riding forward. One of the prerequisites of doing kendama tricks (at least on the unicycle) is being able to keep the ball hanging straight down (not swinging) while moving forward or idling. Long story short, my unicycling had improved to the point where I could really focus on the kendama playing. Also, my balance had to improve so I could perform kendama tricks with one arm while compensating, balance-wise, with the rest of my body.

Regarding juggling and unicycling, I think the key is to improve the unicycling skills to the point of bringing back all the focus to juggling. Also, the arms are no longer responsible for balance, and the hips and feet must compensate for the motions of the hands.

I found I could play the guitar and ride unicycle while I was still a novice. The position of the arms and hands relative to the guitar...was conducive to balance, and the neck of the guitar provided a nice ballast.

My sense is that some riders avoid practicing other skills on the unicycle, perhaps fearing they'll be associated with a circus or considered a clown.

BTW, I was on the plane, where it's hard to avoid the TV, and there was a commercial for something or another, maybe a hotel, featuring a joggler. I did not even know what joggling was prior to you joining the forum, and I had to look up the term 'joggling' on the internet. Thanks for enlightening me!
That all sounds very impressive. A minor breakthrough for me today was answering and talking on my phone while unicycling without having to dismount or anything. I had to get my phone out of my pocket and push a button to answer it, no blue-tooth. It was a challenge alright. I think even a few days ago I wouldn't have been capable of this. I use my arms a lot less than even a week ago.

I had no idea what kendama is, thanks for enlightening me. I may try that some day while unicycling, and maybe a Rubix cube or guitar or another instruent. That joggler(Michal Kapral) from the commercial used to unicycle as a kid I believe, at least that is what he said on his blog. He's currently the fastest marathon joggler in the world(2:50).

I notice that a lot of jogglers, maybe even most elite jogglers are unicyclists or used to be unicyclists. However, most unicyclists aren't jogglers. Most are probably jugglers though.

It used to bother me a lot when people would assume I'm a clown or circus performer. People who ask "why do you do that?" when it comes to either my joggling or unicycling are surprised when I say it's just for sport or fitness, and that I've never been a clown. I'll definitely start juggling while unicycling at some point. People can think what they want but I see myself as an athlete, not a clown.
Acrorebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-06, 03:47 PM   #18
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!

Interesting food for thought here. Thanks Song for pointing this out to me. I learned what Joggling is.

Human gyroscope in training.

Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-11, 05:07 AM   #19
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!

There seem to be a lot of differences between different yoga practices. Some of them develop a lot of strength, others don't. Some enable the development of unusual control of mind and body functions, not possible to achieve without direct practice by a specific method.

Human gyroscope in training.

Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
unicycling, yoga