Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2020-01-25, 02:33 AM   #16
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane M View Post
Without innovation you'd still be riding unicycles that broke a hub on every 1ft drop, I don't understand the resistance to improvement of designs. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is old fashioned and out of date.
Why, when I was young, we didn't even have bearing caps. If you pulled up on the seat, the wheel fell off. If that was good enough for me, then I don't know what these young people are complaining about.

Seriously, I've never had problems with bearing cap screws coming loose. Between the short and long end of an "L" shaped hex tool, I think a precise enough tolerance can be gotten while hand tightening. I can not imagine how a quick release could be lighter. Using the word "simpler" is not really accurate. Maybe "more convenient". The tab on the quick release could be broken if the bottom of the unicycle struck something. And if there were any deformation over time of the cap or the base of the frame, then the quick release would not engage with a the same torque without further adjustment.

I will leave it to the fan boys to experiment with this immature technology. Until then I will keep using old world methods to secure my wheel, such as wrapping the bearing caps with twine and beeswax.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-25, 06:05 PM   #17
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
I will leave it to the fan boys to experiment with this immature technology.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-25, 08:50 PM   #18
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
My most common mechanical failure has been tires. Other than than I've replaced 2 sets of bearings. One set I broke the race, the other I prematurely wore out due to riding it in the salt water.

Replacing a tire is a timely process as is replacing the bearings.. Am I missing something here?

Either way, I wouldn't be buying any of these, dohickeys...
Uh, yes, to fix the most common mechanical failure, the tube, it is convenient to be able to quickly remove the wheel without tools. Which is why every decent bike comes with quick-release wheels.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-25, 08:59 PM   #19
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Seriously, I've never had problems with bearing cap screws coming loose. Between the short and long end of an "L" shaped hex tool, I think a precise enough tolerance can be gotten while hand tightening. I can not imagine how a quick release could be lighter. Using the word "simpler" is not really accurate. Maybe "more convenient". The tab on the quick release could be broken if the bottom of the unicycle struck something. And if there were any deformation over time of the cap or the base of the frame, then the quick release would not engage with a the same torque without further adjustment.

I will leave it to the fan boys to experiment with this immature technology. Until then I will keep using old world methods to secure my wheel, such as wrapping the bearing caps with twine and beeswax.
I have had a quick-release bearing holder unicycle for some 14 years and none of the things you are worried about have been an issue. And it's been in conditions more extreme than most unicycles ever experience, such as being repeatedly immersed in salt water for periods of over an hour.

And I have problems with bearing cap screws coming loose all the time. On beat up, dirty MUnis with crap all over the threads, the range of tolerance between "too tight for the wheel to spin freely" and "too loose to stay fastened during hard riding" is quite small.
Old 2020-01-25, 09:32 PM   #20
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
My most common mechanical failure has been tires.
Step one to fixing a tyre, remove the bearing caps (a.k.a. bearing clamps).
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-25, 11:57 PM   #21
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Seems like most of you like to add extra steps to fixing a tire, at least 50% of the time you can get away with leaving the wheel in the frame and patching it right there..

(While we are on the topic of bearing caps: A spoke is strong enough to replace the bolts holding bearing caps in, zipties are not sufficient. It will still move a bit, but it's rideable even up and down hills. Now you know.)
Old 2020-01-26, 02:13 AM   #22
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
Seems like most of you like to add extra steps to fixing a tire, at least 50% of the time you can get away with leaving the wheel in the frame and patching it right there..

(While we are on the topic of bearing caps: A spoke is strong enough to replace the bolts holding bearing caps in, zipties are not sufficient. It will still move a bit, but it's rideable even up and down hills. Now you know.)
I patch tubes on the road/trail sometimes, but on my bike I always bring an extra tube and just swap it in if I get a flat. Then I throw it in a drawer in my workshop and patch a whole bunch at the same time.

Cool hack! Yes, another issue with bearing cap bolts is that they can drop out while you're riding or get lost while you're working on the wheel.
Old 2020-01-26, 06:23 AM   #23
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholub View Post
And I have problems with bearing cap screws coming loose all the time. On beat up, dirty MUnis with crap all over the threads, the range of tolerance between "too tight for the wheel to spin freely" and "too loose to stay fastened during hard riding" is quite small.
Here is an effective solution to the too tight / too loose bearing problem.
JimT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-26, 01:47 PM   #24
bigevilgrape
Unicyclist

Maybe what is really needed is a lefty unicycle.... then you can change tires and tubes without taking anything apart :P
bigevilgrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-26, 02:19 PM   #25
lobbybopster
Unicyclist

Gotta Love this !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigevilgrape View Post
Maybe what is really needed is a lefty unicycle.... then you can change tires and tubes without taking anything apart :P
OK, thats a good one too!, but you all seem to miss the point of a quick release on a uni/muni. Same frame with disc brake, different wheel/tire combo for different rides and less space to transport them all. Works for me the last 11 years!
lobbybopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-26, 04:08 PM   #26
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
Here is an effective solution to the too tight / too loose bearing problem.
I like that idea. Although now you'd have eight pieces of hardware not to lose when you're trying to fix a flat on the road. Might be worth it on my knurled-bearing Schlumpf so I can really crank it down.
Old 2020-01-26, 04:26 PM   #27
bigevilgrape
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobbybopster View Post
OK, thats a good one too!, but you all seem to miss the point of a quick release on a uni/muni. Same frame with disc brake, different wheel/tire combo for different rides and less space to transport them all. Works for me the last 11 years!
I was mostly joking I do swap wheels on my bicycle all the time, and can see wanting to do it on unicycles in the future. Even the small amount of time it takes to swap parts around gets annoying when You start doing it one or more times per week.
bigevilgrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-26, 07:06 PM   #28
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Ooooh single fork frame... that would be sexy. Easily change tubes and tires without taking anything apart
Dane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-26, 09:46 PM   #29
Alice Arctan
rhymes with dark tan

I carry spare bolts.
Alice Arctan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-27, 01:20 AM   #30
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Send a message via MSN to jaco_flans
I've built a frame with them and rode it for a long time (uni is still ridable, I just dont use it that much anymore).

Thread here. http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115797

I'd have to look up for the pictures. System worked good, but I'd honnestly rather have a system with one bolt than an actual quick release lever. It never got loose or never got caught in my disk while riding. Took less than a minute to switch a wheel. Pretty fun, but I like my 4 ti bolts better

Last edited by jaco_flans; 2020-01-27 at 01:20 AM.
jaco_flans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearing, caps, quick, release