Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-03-26, 05:51 AM   #76
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
what did the tyre look like afterwards?
The edge of the tyre (the part that goes into the rim) whas shredded. UDC Sweden replaced it - no charge.
Old 2018-03-26, 07:40 AM   #77
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
You have to look hard to find the "2" in Stealth 2 as it is quite small.
No sign of a 2. Just "Nimbus Stealth 787 x 38". Was there ever a Stealth (1) without the cutouts?

I don't know about the history of the rim. It came on a second-hand Triton.

I recently bought a new Dominator 26 inch wheel that UDCA brought for me from UK. The rim has "Nimbus Unicycles" logo. It doesn't have a machined brake surface. It has a more rounded external cross section than the Stealth 36. I am pretty sure it had a deeper central recess inside the rim but I don't want to take the tyre off to look. My Stealth is quite flat across the inside.

Quote:
Another question for OneTrack (and others). How did the tyre fit? Was it hard to put it on. Did you have to use a tyre lever?
I used levers to get the 36 inch tyre on. However I was just able to get the tyre back on by hand after it blew off. (I had hoped it would roll without air but the sidewalls were too soft so I carried it home.)

Doesn't appear to have damaged the tyre or rim. Of course the tube is split for quite a distance. It was very loud bang. Glad I wan't going fast and on a level surface.

I'm thinking my rim might not be suited to the Lite.
Old 2018-03-26, 11:42 AM   #78
rich
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
No sign of a 2. Just "Nimbus Stealth 787 x 38". Was there ever a Stealth (1) without the cutouts?
I've got an original Stealth 1 without cutouts with a machined brake surface. It came on a second hand KH36 (pre-disc brake, Moment hub). I bought it second hand in Las Vegas from a guy called Eric. He had purchased it from UDC USA.

I was going to get the Lite tyre but I might hold off if the original Stealth rim is incompatible. Has anyone else had a blowout?

Last edited by rich; 2018-03-26 at 11:48 AM.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-26, 03:47 PM   #79
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
......I was going to get the Lite tyre but I might hold off if the original Stealth rim is incompatible. Has anyone else had a blowout?
Others in this thread have reported blowouts with the lighter tire. Some discussion on the first part of this thread where Roger at UDC reported that "... the lighter the side wall and bead the more likely to blow off the rims." Post #19.

And a 36er blow out on a Aero style rim, post #30.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-26, 07:53 PM   #80
bouin-bouin
Didier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
Others in this thread have reported blowouts with the lighter tire. Some discussion on the first part of this thread where Roger at UDC reported that "... the lighter the side wall and bead the more likely to blow off the rims." Post #19.

Jim
Aero rims were not a the right size, you cannot judge in this case
my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)
bouin-bouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-26, 07:55 PM   #81
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

I have the most current stealth 2 rim and have now logged probably somewhere in the neighborhood of a hundred miles on the new Lite tire and Vee tube and haven't had any issues so far, and running about 55 PSI. The Lite Tire seems to fit just as well as the heavier original, and since both have steel beads I doubt that it will ever blow off as some have reported. Not sure how or why that could happen but might be that either the bead wasn't fully or evenly seated, or they were running and older incompatible rim, or possibly there was a defect in one or more of the tires. I was asked to post my review of the new tire in this thread, so here it is...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tK8l94pdvAM

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2018-03-26 at 08:06 PM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-26, 08:47 PM   #82
rich
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post

Jim
Sorry I should have said this instead: has anyone else suffered a blowout with the Stealth "1" rim?
Those other posts are about different rims or just general information about the new tyre.
If even one person says that the Lite tyre is OK on their Stealth 1 rim I'm still in the game and I'd be willing to put OneTrackMind's blowout down to tyre QC/bad luck!
If not I'll put it in the same category as the Aero style rim and watch my upgrade recede over the distant horizon
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-01, 01:16 AM   #83
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

I have just had a closer look at my Stealth rim and compared it to the Dominator2 profile (which I understand is the same profile used on the Stealth2).

The Dominator2 has a substantial retaining lip that is not present on the original Stealth. The lip in the original Stealth is small with rounded edges.

The original profile is 38 mm wide while the 2 profile is 42 mm wide. Being four mm narrower probably doesn't help with tyre retention either.

Consequently I would recommend against using the Lite tyre on the original Stealth rim.

Now I am wondering if I can use the same spokes if I get a Stealth2 rim.
Old 2018-04-01, 04:19 AM   #84
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
Now I am wondering if I can use the same spokes if I get a Stealth2 rim.
The UDC spoke calculator shows about 2mm shorter spokes for the Stealth 2 rim compared to the Stealth.

Calculator at: https://www.unicycle.uk.com/calculator/

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-17, 07:39 PM   #85
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

I have now 5 rides on the light tyre, which means almost 100 km. My impression of the tyre is pretty much the same as UniDreamer. On the long flat straights I miss the feeling of the heavier regular NR a little, but otherwise the Lite is better.

This is my setup:
Tyre: Nimbus Nightrider Lite 36
Rim: 2010 Nimbus Stealth w/cut-outs (not Stealth 2)
Tube: Foss
Air pressure: 50 psi
Cranks: VCX 138

No problems at all with this rim/tyre combination.
Old 2018-04-17, 11:25 PM   #86
Thumper uni
Unicyclist

I don't think rim width is the issue as the Scott MTB I was looking at has a 2.6" tire on a 30mm rim which seems pretty std maybe it's the raised lip the bead sits against this one had a pronounced concave.
Old 2018-04-18, 03:04 AM   #87
Thumper uni
Unicyclist

Aust mountain Bike issue 166 tested dt Swiss rims and a Ibez 27.5x2.4 and found the best size rim I/D was 30mm .
Old 2018-04-27, 08:46 AM   #88
Unicyclist Lou
Unicyclist

Has anyone measured the clearance of the new NR lite tire with the Nimbus 36" Oracle?
Unicyclist Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-27, 11:12 AM   #89
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

I am running the NR lite on an oracle. Definatly no issues, hard to see on the pic. If needed I can measure the clearance, but for sure there is enough.
Attached Images

kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-27, 11:35 AM   #90
Chimeara
Chimeara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicyclist Lou View Post
Has anyone measured the clearance of the new NR lite tire with the Nimbus 36" Oracle?
I am running a NR Lite on an Oracle and i would say there is approx 15mm Clearance.
Chimeara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new 36, tyre