Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 2019-11-15, 09:05 AM   #8281
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post

I often get the same impression. I think dirt riders have more fun.
The good thing of road cyclists is that they are so fast that they are quickly out of view again, so let them feel high and mighty.
Unicycling is like sitting high and mighty on a throne. Ignorance is bliss.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-15, 09:20 AM   #8282
Quax1974
Wobbly

I have got real good experience with MTBikers indeed.

Perhaps the lower difference in speed (compared to road cyclists ) plays a role as well?
Quax1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-15, 10:19 AM   #8283
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ms View Post
i found that most walkers would say hi or give some impressive comment but cyclists seam to be very serious and either completley blanked me or look at you like "what the hell or you doing that for"
Interesting, because cycling commuters in Oslo are generally some of the most positive people I meet with regards to unicycling.
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-15, 11:22 AM   #8284
Setonix
Unicyclist

MTBers might be more technical than road riders and because of that recognise more that unicycling off-road can be quite a challenge.
I think in general I get more comments from Mountainbikers than by road riders
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-18, 09:03 PM   #8285
BruceC
Unicyclist

A passing jogger noted "well, that increases the degree of difficulty". How true he is, perhaps explaining part of the motivation for riding unicycles.
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:45 AM   #8286
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

My neighbor walked past me in the park. "I see you're having challenges, today."

I had just spent a couple minutes trying to mount into a one-footed idle with both hands holding the seat. I kept dismounting after only a few idles.

I am not sure how to interpret the comment, "I see you're having challenges, today." The cynical side of me thinks that most onlookers only experience unicycling through the lens of success/failure. They don't know what one-footed idling looks like, but they do know the difference between getting it and not getting it. Maybe it just looked like I was having a bad day.

Later on, a woman in a parked car said, "Impressive." Not a particularly impressive quote of the day, except for the fact that I've received the single word "impressive" comment half a dozen times, and every time it was a woman. Do guys say "impressive"?

Guy: "Impressive!"
Me: "Quit staring at my package!"

Anyhoo, I was a bit annoyed by the woman's "impressive" comment, because all I was doing was riding forward when she made it. So, as if to say 'oh, you think that's impressive', I hopped a curb, stalled on the sidewalk then rode backwards off the curb. Not even a particularly good trick, but better than just riding.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:33 AM   #8287
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

Or...
Your neighbour knows you well enough to realize that you weren't as successful as you wanted to be right then.
The woman in the car was genuinely impressed as you were doing something that most can't.

...and ya, I say "very impressive" when I say it and I sure as hell aint looking at no package.

You're reading way too much into it, but hey that's human nature.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
day, mumpitz, nonriders, unicycle