Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 2019-03-25, 03:21 AM   #8101
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaas Bil View Post
What was your comeback then?

I can think of "well, not two tiring". (Highlight my response to read.)
I said, "I'm not two tired." I held up two fingers and gestured at the tire when I said it. Lamest joke in the universe, I know...
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-25, 03:28 AM   #8102
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
{several hundred words, followed by}
My question is: Could someone learn to ride using primarily this method? That means they'd learn to ride two-handed SIF before they ever rode with the seat under them.
Short answer: Start a different thread for this, it could be interesting. Longer answer. Remember when you started learning to ride SIF? Or if you've ever practiced on an Ultimate Wheel? The rider will burn out his/her legs in minutes, so each practice session will be short. And they'll need a spotter, and/or face protection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpsoft View Post
Got "You're a samurai, sir!" from a fat bike rider.
I don't think I've ever been called that. Ninja maybe, but Samaurai is much cooler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzenschorsch View Post
The best off-road answer would be: "Why are you riding two wheels on a singletrack?"
CLASSIC! I should have thought of that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Now I'm screwed! I bump into these guys all the time (small school in a tiny village).
I thought you wanted to learn to ride. Consider this your wake-up call. If those kids see progress, they will be impressed. Not only that, they will appreciate that it's difficult to do, but that you're not going to quit (So don't quit!). Just don't let them borrow it. Then you'll be playing catch-up for as long as those kids have them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
"There's a new one." (gentleman walking)

"That's another way." (gentleman on a bike)
While we can never know what's in their heads, what I get from both of those is "I noticed you, and am impressed enough to say something to you. This is something I've maybe never seen before in person."

So be happy!

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-25, 04:34 PM   #8103
LanceB
This space available

My road rides these days are usually in the company of my wife, who rides her recumbent trike. When people ask, "Where's your other wheel?" I point to her three-wheeler and say, "I gave it to her!"
The other day a woman walker beat me to it -- as we rode past, she said, motioning to the trike, "She's got your other wheel!" LOL
Old 2019-03-26, 02:39 AM   #8104
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
While we can never know what's in their heads, what I get from both of those is "I noticed you, and am impressed enough to say something to you. This is something I've maybe never seen before in person."

So be happy!
Good point, johnfoss. Plenty of people say nothing at all, and I'm not questioning their intent. I also have to remember that there's not a lot of time to say anything when I ride by (and I was in high gear on my GUni when I got those comments).
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-08, 10:51 AM   #8105
Setonix
Unicyclist

Yesterday there was a very old man on his racing bike, asking about my other wheel, there were two racing cyclists saying "Well done". And finally a dad with his son on racing bikes and the son started clapping. Quite nice.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-08, 09:52 PM   #8106
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

From a passing tandem: "Hey, he's got the same average we do!"
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-10, 07:56 AM   #8107
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImpossible View Post
From a passing tandem: "Hey, he's got the same average we do!"
Math nerds.

Do you see tandems on narrow, rocky singletrack trails much? Me hardly ever. In fact, I think the only times I've seen one, on the kinds of trails I really like to ride (the hard ones), it was always the same couple.

So I'm riding down the Salmon Falls trail last Sunday, and here comes a tandem the other way. No room for us to pass each other. The tandem's Captain says "I'm sure which of us is supposed to yield in this situation." I replied "Whoever's riding one wheel each!" Then it got weirder. His wife, the Stoker, said "Do you know Tim Bustos?" Me: "Yes." Her: "Are you John Foss?" Oh, it's that same couple, who I haven't seen in many years on the trails. They used to run FATRAC, the Folsom/Auburn Trail Riders Action Committee, and I helped with some trail building days. They always rode a tandem, and they still do! It was nice catching up with them.

And then, a few minutes later, I tried to ride across a creek that had a lot more water in it than usual. Long story short, I ate it big time, with two witnesses (some hikers). Spa-lash! Fortunately my phone, camera and key fob survived. That happened to me once before in that spot, many years ago. I dug up some pictures from that day; one of the "Monthly Muni Rides" I used to organize. That day we had Rob Bowman, John Hooten and Nathan Hoover there, all riding Telfords! And Beau, of course, on his 20" Trials, because he was only nine years old. It was Feb. 2001! I think there was a little less water in the creek on that day...
  1. Our group that day. Notice the pretty Telfords, the red Pashley Muni in front, and little Beau with his little 20"
  2. Me showing off my "coolness". My ride was the DM ATU; the first unicycle to be manufactured with a splined axle. And yes, there was definitely more water in that creek last Sunday...
  3. John Hooten, who we lost last year. He was an Olympic Rowing coach, award-winning swim coach, and a Boy Scout leader who helped about 50 of his scouts become Eagles over the years. He only got his feet wet.
Attached Images

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Last edited by johnfoss; 2019-04-10 at 08:17 AM.
Old 2019-04-10, 07:57 AM   #8108
ruari
 

In Norway we have recently had VOI setup their electric scooter sharing system around Oslo. You use an app to locate one near by, unlock it, use it and leave it wherever you want. There has been a fair bit of local debate regarding if they are generally a good thing for society, or a bad thing. Anyway, today someone pinged me about this tweet, which translates as follows:

Quote:
They come from behind suddenly, at furious speed, on the sidewalk, without a sound! Will they this summer's great nuisance? Soon there will heaps of them strewn throughout the city!

… Or maybe not?
You have probably already guessed the joke but watch the video anyway.
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-10, 10:09 AM   #8109
ruari
 

The above now makes a lot more sense to me. I wondered why he was filming at just the right time. Then I recalled that as I overtook one bicyclist yesterday (I overtook 3 on that hill), they said “Nice”. This struck me as odd because it was in English (and because it immediately reminded me of this famous meme/clip).

If you listen to the video in the tweet again, you hear him say “Nice” at the beginning. Also if you look at the movement/pace of the video you can see that the person filming is cycling himself.

This also explains why he was filming. He is a fairly common twitter poster on cycling in Oslo and the kind of issues that people encounter. It seems he is always wearing a headcam and filming constantly.

Last edited by ruari; 2019-04-10 at 10:11 AM.
Old 2019-04-10, 11:55 AM   #8110
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruari View Post
In Norway we have recently had VOI setup their electric scooter sharing system around Oslo. You use an app to locate one near by, unlock it, use it and leave it wherever you want. There has been a fair bit of local debate regarding if they are generally a good thing for society, or a bad thing. Anyway, today someone pinged me about this tweet, which translates as follows:

You have probably already guessed the joke but watch the video anyway.
That's cool! I recognize the name of that guy. He has a YouTube channel where he uploads bicycling/commuting videos from Oslo. His videos are controversial as he exposes wreckless drivers with their full registration number visible. There is quite often a heated discussion folowing his videos. He probably has his camera turned on at all time, so he was bound to capture a unicyclist sooner or later.

Last edited by UniMyra; 2019-04-10 at 11:56 AM.
UniMyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-10, 12:59 PM   #8111
Setonix
Unicyclist

Where is your registration number Ruari?

In NL I just ride on the street, though with that nasty bus, I'm not sure I'd even ride there. By law I should be on the pavement, but so far I haven't been stopped. Whenever I try to anticipate how people move, I always choose wrong and bump into them, especially on foot, so I stay clear of them when on uni.

Yesterday I went to work by uni, but it is really busy here. Too many mopeds and cyclists wooshing by. On the way home I chose a route where there was just me and the uni, which was twice as long.
Old 2019-04-10, 07:55 PM   #8112
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
That's cool! I recognize the name of that guy. He has a YouTube channel where he uploads bicycling/commuting videos from Oslo. His videos are controversial as he exposes wreckless drivers with their full registration number visible. There is quite often a heated discussion folowing his videos. He probably has his camera turned on at all time, so he was bound to capture a unicyclist sooner or later.
Yeah he is pretty much the same on twitter. Here is a typical tweet from earlier the same day:

https://twitter.com/morten_lode/stat...61287139282944

(My place of work is just out of shot of this recording by the way)

I do follow him but was actually made aware of tweet with me via my ex-neighbor (Asgeir Rekkavik, in the thread). I also did not initially register who it was that took the video. I was more focussed on the surprise that someone caught me on film.

P.S. I was also somewhat concerned about the amount of wobble I seem to be displaying. That said, it is more of a hill than it appears in that video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Where is your registration number Ruari?
You joke but I read about this proposal not long ago back in my home country (the UK).

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47616286

Last edited by ruari; 2019-04-10 at 07:59 PM.
Old 2019-04-11, 07:33 AM   #8113
Setonix
Unicyclist

Lol, the English are silly )) In NL we don't even wear helmets, because all Dutchies are basically born with a bike.
Old 2019-04-11, 09:08 AM   #8114
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Lol, the English are silly ))
As a Brit, I shall agree with this.
Old 2019-04-15, 05:25 AM   #8115
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Three great comments today, on the American River Bike Path:

1. (From a Roadie passing me) "Hey, that's a bad-ass thing!" Me: "My ass is bad!" (given a little more time, I would have modified it a bit, like "By the end of the ride, my ass will definitely be bad" or similar.

3. Kid on a skateboard, being towed by a bike, and with two other kids on bikes, going the other way: "Oh my God! -- OH MY GOD!!! CALL 911!!! CALL 911!!!! Me: Flabbergasted and laughing.

2. (Numbers are chronological, but this one was the best) I'm passing a couple on cruiser-type bikes, no helmets. The woman says: "Wow. Hey, I can ride a unicycle too!" Me: "Awesome! I almost never hear that!"

Overall a great day riding with my wife around Folsom, over 36 miles and super nice weather.

Tags
day, mumpitz, nonriders, unicycle