Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-09-27, 12:52 PM   #31
aj1500
Unicyclist

OK I may have misrepresented myself by accident, I haven't made 20 miles in a single ride YET it's more like 13 miles one ride and 9.5 in another
the 8.5 average comes from my cycle meter I use for every ride and then it shows what my top speed was, I can look at it and see how often I was close to the top speed.
I haven't UPD at this speed per say, I have been able to slow just a bit before being thrown off. I have hit the ground and drew blood once or twice
Old 2019-09-29, 07:51 PM   #32
slamdance
Unicyclist

Can we prepare for UPD at speed?

Either way, you've made great strides from the 1st page on this string. Congrats.
However, I think it's time you create a new string like "how to go farther/faster" and also I wonder "how to prepare for UPD at fast speeds on a big wheel".

I've been hesitant to go to a bigger wheel & short cranks + handlebar. At lower speeds we can often land on our feet and stop, or land feet and roll. However, at high speed I think it's like diving head first from 5ft. A good unicycle trick rider can probably time/jump off the pedals at 3/9 o'clock position and land on his feet and deal. However, the rest of us riders will have to be ready for the hard dive, skid, crunch.

Anyways, food for thought. Keep on.

Last edited by slamdance; 2019-09-29 at 07:53 PM.
slamdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-30, 01:22 PM   #33
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdance View Post
I've been hesitant to go to a bigger wheel & short cranks + handlebar. At lower speeds we can often land on our feet and stop, or land feet and roll. However, at high speed I think it's like diving head first from 5ft. A good unicycle trick rider can probably time/jump off the pedals at 3/9 o'clock position and land on his feet and deal. However, the rest of us riders will have to be ready for the hard dive, skid, crunch.
nowadays I only UPD when riding offroad, which I don't do on a 36". Most of those times I land on my feet and if I do tumble it is on sand. The 36" I just ride on asphalt and the chance of UPD-ing is very slim. When there are roots protruding through the asphalt I always slow down quite a bit. And as for speeding I will never ride so fast that I start losing balance. The last time the wheel blocked for me on the 36" was actually on a sandy road with pits and bumps and I could barely run out of it, but otherwise I would steer towards the shoulder of the road tumbling in the grass.
However some months ago, I fell off the 36" as I was trying to mount it, but I didn't jump hard enough and ended up with feet dangling not finding the pedals and I fell sideways on my hip. That was not very pleasant.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-30, 07:21 PM   #34
pierrox
Unicyclist

Someone posted a video of Martin Charrier crashing on his geared 36" in a fast bend. Glad he was wearing a full face helmet, gloves, and shoulder/elbow/forearm/wrist/hip/knee/shin protections!
(on Facebook sorry, also means it disappeared in the flow since)
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speed, struggling