Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-09-15, 06:21 PM   #181
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Iíve been adjusting the tire pressure for road riding lately. I have it at 32 psi now. I donít have enough experience yet to feel any difference between 30-35 psi. For my driveway and the gravel road I live on I put it at 22 psi.

Yesterday at 32 psi, I rode the full, although short, length of old paved section of Hwy nearby. At itís far end it crosses a fairly busy paved road and continues on as a hard packed dirt road. I made it the full length of both pieces in one shot, 300 yards short of a mile. The return ride was pretty good too, although I ran out of gas and stopped on two of the hills. I did manage to ride up the longest but not steepest one to finish the ride. There are small or big gains for me each practice. Slowly but steadily Iím moving along. Thanks for all the tips and encouragement
lowerstackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-17, 12:12 AM   #182
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

I went for a completely different type of ride today. 1.5 miles up and down hills I previously thought I would not be able to do. Wow, what a difference riding on a well maintained road instead of an old abandoned piece of Hwy, or a dirt or potholed gravel road. I was still tiring by the end but it was easier than my shorter usual runs of late. It is also a bit different balance and speed wise, not that I go very fast. Anyhow Iím stoked to get out there and get some experience and try to add some distance to my runs.
Old 2019-09-17, 07:25 AM   #183
pierrox
Unicyclist

Congrats, you're doing great progress lately!
Yes you'll realize soon that riding on smooth(er) ground allows you to sit into the saddle more, and therefore not overworking the legs.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-17, 01:30 PM   #184
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
Yes you'll realize soon that riding on smooth(er) ground allows you to sit into the saddle more, and therefore not overworking the legs.
In my own experience, riding off-road on bumpy terrain helped me learn more about putting weight in the seat...than riding on smooth surfaces. When I started riding off-road, I was terrible at putting weight in the seat, but I improved. In addition to learning weight-in-the-seat, I learned how to stabilize myself by sitting on the back of the the saddle and holding onto the bar ends. With stability, I can hit obstacles (the trails around my neighborhood are washboard-bumpy) without having to remove weight from the saddle. These improvements to my riding would not have happened if I were simply riding on smooth surfaces.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-17, 06:16 PM   #185
pierrox
Unicyclist

Sorry didn't mean to make it a universal truth. We all have different stories of how we did it.
In my case, having spend more than a year doing only offroad once I could ride more than 50ft, it took me a long time to adjust to riding on the road. I had become pretty good at being on and off the saddle all the time to absorb bumps and holes and therefore always pedaling with weight on the pedals. Doing so on the road was a nightmare, uni wouldn't go straight, it would drift and make rubbing sounds as my ride was so squirelly - which wouldn't be a problem on dusty tracks.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-18, 01:15 AM   #186
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
Sorry didn't mean to make it a universal truth. We all have different stories of how we did it.
In my case, having spend more than a year doing only offroad once I could ride more than 50ft, it took me a long time to adjust to riding on the road. I had become pretty good at being on and off the saddle all the time to absorb bumps and holes and therefore always pedaling with weight on the pedals. Doing so on the road was a nightmare, uni wouldn't go straight, it would drift and make rubbing sounds as my ride was so squirelly - which wouldn't be a problem on dusty tracks.
I guess all our learning styles depend a lot on the riding conditions as well. I don't do too much road riding. If I did, I would probably understand more what you are describing. I apologize for the contradictory-sounding remarks.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-18, 04:22 AM   #187
slamdance
Unicyclist

15 psi? anyone

If you have a fat tire don't be afraid to go down to 15-18 psi. There's a local park that used to be a rock quarry, and there are many trails with good size pebbles/stones(1-2" size). I used to have trouble on my 20" trainer with skinny tire. However, now with my 24" nimbus and 3.5" tire I barely feel the ground, except for a nice steady "mushy" feel. At low pressure it's also easy to learn to do bunny hops. However, if you are used to high or moderate pressure it takes a little getting used to this feel. It feels somewhat more sluggish and you have to be more on the pedal.
slamdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-23, 05:09 PM   #188
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

When the tire is pumped up higher, I do notice that I sit fully down in the seat when riding on smooth surfaces. I have to concentrate to remain seated when bumping along my driveway or dirt roads. When the tire is in the 18-23 psi range I seem to sit down without thinking about it. Way back when (a year seems so long ago) I first started, Canoeheadted said I could ride these two surfaces at 22 psi. This looks like where I will probably end up while riding in my local area. It took me quite a while to gain the experience to take this, and other advice offered to find the compromise, between remaining seated and acceptable rolling resistance.

Iím doing pretty well at holding on with either hand while riding. I only get a few seconds with both hands on the saddle before I have let go and flail one or both ams to regain my balance.

Also, going up hills I do better not holding the seat. Could this be the angle of the seat, I have the nose tilted fully up at this time. (Nimbus gel unicycle saddle). Yes, I know, more experimenting and practice, thanks. 😁
Old 2019-09-24, 12:38 AM   #189
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerstackmac View Post
.... I only get a few seconds with both hands on the saddle before I have let go and flail one or both ams to regain my balance. ....
I find it much easier with both hands on a handle and have traveled hundreds of very comfortable miles on paved roads as opposed to gravel or other non-paved surfaces. I can ride with both hands on a handle on gravel but not nearly as easy and sometimes go along like a drunken sailor.

The camber effect of the tire/riding surface seems to be directly related to how easy it is to ride with two hands on a handle (at least for me). The more camber effect, the easier it is to ride with two hands on a handle. I have two 36ers, one with a Nightrider tire and one with a Coker non-skid tire. The Coker is not effected by road camber at all and riding with two hands on a handle is much harder and not as stable as the Nightrider tire. The Nightrider tire is effected some by road camber but less when higher tire pressure is used.
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-24, 04:07 PM   #190
Setonix
Unicyclist

mhm with camber I always have 1 hand on the t-bar and the other in the air, as I'm half twisted either left or right, depending on the camber. I have T-bars on the 32" and 36". Even when there is but a slight camber, which I don't see then my body tells me the road isn't flat. during my rides I alternate between both hands on the handle or hands down alongside by body or on the seat or crossed in front of my chest. Whatever feels comfy. Only with sharp turns both my hands are up in the air pointing to where I want to go for extra side balance.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-29, 05:12 PM   #191
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Well here I am, out of action again. I was getting the winters firewood in and I crushed and broke my middle left finger. Without gloves on I would have lost the last joint. All stitched up, bone reset and splinted? Anyhow, I want to give it some time before I risk landing on my hands from a UPD. I very rarely injure myself and now I have twice this year. No, I was not operating my chainsaw while on the uni. Stay safe everyone and happy unicycling.
Old 2019-09-29, 07:15 PM   #192
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

Sorry to hear that

Hopefully you'll be able to ride before the snow gets there.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-29, 09:12 PM   #193
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Thanks Garp, it will be snowing here in the next few weeks, so probably no riding before that. I did plan to ride in the snow throughout the winter though. Iím going to go for the longest rookie rider record lol.

Tags
gravel, learning, ride