Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Articles and Tutorials

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2009-05-16, 02:33 AM   #1
unatic
Joe and Zethar the unicycle

Thumbs up EASY freemount for Newbies really works!

I am 57 and just last month bought my first uni. After the required 15 hours I could "ride" and dismount, but could not freemount. I had tried and tried but could not EVER get it. Searching the internet, I found a video showing a slightly different method which worked on the second try, 7 out of the next 10 tries, and after practicing, will work every time. It is sooooo easy, I dont know why it is never posted anywhere. Just search on "Megan Rouch Expert Village". She has several videos on unicycle operation, but the "mounting" and "turning" videos show very clearly the very very easy mount. It is based on the method where you are not to put any weight down on your right (dominant) pedal. You do NOT need to lower the seat, you do NOT need a curb, you do not need to put a rock behind the wheel, you do not need to be going downhill, you do not need any of those. AND you are allowed to put as much weight on the right pedal as you want, which actually helps to mount more easily.

This is how it works. Follow the same instructions found here and elsewhere as far as how to position your feet and get the seat in position. While positioned with your right foot on the pedal, seat positioned, left foot ready to push/hop, you simply reach up with your right hand and grab the tire to keep it from rolling. Hop up with your left foot, and while holding the tire so that it will NOT roll, put as much pressure as you want on the right pedal to help lift you up. As you gain your balance, put your left foot on its pedal, let loose of the tire, off you go. Please see the video for an extremely easy "freemount". It works every time and is VERY VERY easy, even for this 57 year old unatic.
unatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
easy, freemount, lunatic, mount, newbies, works