Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-08-12, 08:22 PM   #16
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Yesterday morning was the first time I tried figure 8s, since I learned to ride. First on the 26" and then on 36". I totally suck at it. And I can definitely ride a smaller circle to the right than to the left.
I found the transition from clockwise to counterclockwise and visa versa to be the most challenging part of the figure eights. And I'm better turning to the left than to the right. Maybe because I'm more comfortable pedaling faster while turning to the left. It's easier to be objective when comparing techniques on either side of our body ... than it is to assess how good we are, in general, at a particular skill. Figure eights force the rider to use both sides equally, whereas, if left to our own devices, we might too often rely on our strong side.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-12, 10:54 PM   #17
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
It's the experimentation that really counts, at least in my experience. You've got to experiment to find out what works for you. Particularly, you need to figure out how to be safe in the process. I was concerned after reading about your backward falls. I don't want you to get psyche out about falling, but you are going to have to consider the reasons why you fell in the first place, then find a way to avoid that.
I'm not really sure how to think about it, because it's so brand new to me. I can't easily cast a critical eye when I am so close to the situation and unfamiliar with it. But perhaps thinking about tire pressure is a start?

Perhaps I should lower the pressure at first to make the wheel less skittish? I read a rule of thumb that 1 PSI per pound of body weight was good. So at a bit under 220, I took the tire, rated at 15-35 PSI, to 22 PSI. It feels quite firm to the fingers.

I've also wondered if I should lower the seat post some more. I cut like an inch and a half off the seatpost because even when down as far as it could go, the seat was still almost bellybutton high, and that made me have to leap just to get seated. I have seen bellybutton height recommended, but it felt excessively high for a raw beginner.

Does that make sense?
Dingfelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-12, 11:14 PM   #18
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Should I stick with just one wheel size and feel 100% comfortable or should I keep riding all my wheel sizes every month.
Depends on your end goal. If you are learning for fun, and riding for fun, definitely mix up the wheel sizes. Each rides differently. The more you mix them up, the better you will be at making the mental transition from one to the next, until it's hardly noticeable.

However, if your goal is to race in a big event on your 36" pretty soon, I'd definitely recommend concentrating on riding just that, and working on the various aspects of things you would need to be successful in that event. Then, after that's over, you can go back to screwing around on different sizes.
quote=Setonix]My aim is to make riding a uni as "easy" as riding a bike and I have some ways to go.[/quote]So do it. Don't expect it to get to a point of being completely equal. It will always be easier to hop on a bike with poor foot positioning. Though I do this on unicycles all the time also, it's not as easy to correct on bumpy surfaces. It will always be easier to "space out" while riding a bike, and paying a lot less attention.
Quote:
Your two comments, above, do not reflect my personal experience learning to unicycle. For me, struggling to learn a harder skill improved my mastery of the easier skill.
Absolutely. Get a taste of that harder skill. You may need to continue working on that easier skill before you can do the harder skill, but in many cases, one skill reinforces another. Also I believe, if you aren't in a focused hurry to learn something specific, that mixing things up will make learning unicycle tricks more fun, and presumably easier as well.

That said, I also agree with the idea of mastering the basics. The better you can do basic things, such as figure 8s, riding slowly, idling without rotating, but better you can apply those skills to more advanced things.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-13, 01:53 AM   #19
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

Quote:
Your two comments, above, do not reflect my personal experience learning to unicycle. For me, struggling to learn a harder skill improved my mastery of the easier skill. Some of the tools necessary to really master the basic skill did not become evident until I practiced the harder skill. Some riders have commented on the forum that improvement comes from "more saddle time". My belief is that "more saddle time" only produces improvement to the extent that we are challenging ourselves to do things we haven't mastered. Instead of the harder skill flowing organically from the easier one, my sense is that for unicycling the opposite applies: The tools for the basic skill exist within the harder skill. This attitude doesn't apply to all types of learning, but my own sense is that it applies to unicycling.
This has been my experience as well. I am sucky at some advanced things, but all the time I spend being sucky at these advanced skills helps me tremendously with the more basic versions of those advanced skills. One of many examples is how learning to juggle while idling helped my idling while not juggling. While I was "good enough" at idling before I learned how to juggle while doing it, I don't believe I mastered it(I still used my arms a lot for balance). Now I believe I've finally mastered it, and idling is almost as mindless as riding forward now. In fact, after learning how to juggle while idling I learned one-footed idling practically overnight, one of those skills that "pops up" after learning another.

Also, learning to do backwards figure 8's has also helped with idling and backwards and my general riding ability, even though I'm pretty sucky at the backwards figure 8s while juggling.

As far as interleaving goes, maybe it would be helpful to interleave something basic with something slightly more advanced to help master the basic skill. Would also be cool if you experimented with interleaving with your music students.
Acrorebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-13, 07:13 PM   #20
Setonix
Unicyclist

I don't ever see myself ride competitions. They are too stressing. I just like to ride at my own speed exploring the surroundings. Even though I don't think I will really need to idle, I do think it will make me more in control of the uni, so at some time I will prolly learn.

Even though riding a bike is easier and will always be easier, I like the feeling of a unicycle much more and if I have the choice, will always take the uni. I also noticed that because I'd been riding my 36" a while again, it made it a lot easier to mount the 29", that I hadn't touched for me month. That one is still my favourite uni.

I agree with yous that focusing on a harder skill will make it easier to perfect the easier skills, which then comes more naturally.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-21, 06:19 AM   #21
rrurban
Unicyclist

I'll ride a 27.5 muni for a month then go back to my g29 and feel uncomfortable and have problems shifting up. My advice is to pick 2 favorite unicycles and ride them equally
Nimbus II 26 Muni conversion
rrurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-21, 09:59 AM   #22
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

In mathematics didactics it’s not uncommon to follow up a phase of automatization by phases of combining different skills and of skill transfer.

The same principle seems feasible with unicycling and that’s exactly how I practice.
Automatization: practicing one skill for a long period of time (e.g. 30 minutes out of a 75 minute training session), until there is no noticeable momentary improvement anymore.
Combining skills: either doing a predefined sequence of movements until they are fluent (my latest one, after a 20min seat-in-hopping-session, was: Ride to a stall, take the seat out in front, hop once, ride 2revs SIF, put the seat back in and ride forward again.)
Transfer of skills: there are different ways of transfer. (1) to everyday riding. I can now hop up lowered curbs (2“) sideways and continue riding, (2) to other unicycles.
The second transfer I sometimes train explicitly by doing a predefined movement sequence alternatingly on two different unis. (Take uni 1 and try the sequence until it works out flawlessly, then take uni 2 and do the same sequence until it works out, change back to uni 1 and so on. The aim is usually to do the sequence without error 4 times in a row (twice on each uni))

I found that every training type can have massive influences on certain skills. Some of my examples:
—> Prolonged slow riding on my 26x4.8 Hatchet seems to have catapulted me from 0.5 second still stands to 3-5 second still stands on my KH20 and my Qu-Ax20.
—> Skill combination seems to have enabled me to spontaneously do the sideways hop up lowered curbs, which I had never tried before.
—> Qu-Ax20 backwards riding was the booster for all backwards riding, which beforehand I had only practiced on my KH20.
—> on the other side, there was no other possibility for me to learn freemounting my KH27.5 than to try 1000 times.

I definitely believe in the power of interleaved training. But what’s more important than any training techniques is that the training is subjectively realized as being „fun“. Someone who doesn’t like automatization training will not benefit from it. If you dislike the difficulties of switching between unis in one session, you should not do it, because motivation ist the prime factor for successful learning - be it unicycling or mathematics.
I‘ll never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)
Onewheelhenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-21, 09:10 PM   #23
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewheelhenni View Post
I definitely believe in the power of interleaved training. But what’s more important than any training techniques is that the training is subjectively realized as being „fun“. Someone who doesn’t like automatization training will not benefit from it. If you dislike the difficulties of switching between unis in one session, you should not do it, because motivation ist the prime factor for successful learning - be it unicycling or mathematics.
Great examples you provided. I definitely believe in interleaving more and more. Even before I learned about interleaving, I was doing it while learning to juggle while idling. I mostly learned to do this with my 24" unicycle, but sometimes interleaved with my 29", which was much more difficult. In fact, I wish I had switched back and forth a little more. I would usually notice a juggling while idling performance boost on the 24" after trying to juggle while idling on the 29" even if I performed horribly.

Now I'm borderline competent at juggling while idling on the 24", but can barely do it on the 29". I don't really need to do it on the 29", it's tiring and impractical, but it was useful for boosting my abilities on the 24.

I really need to work on riding backwards slowly now, as well as still-stands.
Acrorebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-21, 10:00 PM   #24
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewheelhenni View Post
Funny, I was just thinking about the difficulties of learning after talking with some friends about another who lost her job and did not do well in school, so now we're worried what she's going to be able to do. She simply doesn't have the mental capacity to get a degree or do much of any kind of studying.

After I was driving off, I remembered how, long ago, I forced myself through some difficult classes by trying my best to change my emotions about the subject and about learning in general. I agree with you that motivation is extremely useful. And it can be manipulated.

At that time, while studying a subject I found hard to understand and an unpleasant slog to get through, I kept reminding myself how much doing well could contribute to my future, and pictured myself smiling and happy in the future because I had at the very least stuck it out, but also pictured a best-case scenario of being so happy I had actually done it well.

And in the active moment of studying, being constantly assailed by boredom and ego-denying frustration, even a little fear, I tried to tell myself that even the most boring or perhaps useless part of the subject were inherently interesting, that I loved the idea of learning them and was going to be thrilled to be able to put all the pieces together. I tried to get in the same mindset a person is so often in when they are actually very good at or very interested in something -- learning it feels effortless and seems to come at lightning speed.

In short, I got happy with the subject and happy with myself so I could learn it more easily. It made a huge difference and I've successfully applied it to many tasks and subjects since.

Sometimes it can feel comical or absurd, like ... how exciting is learning database software, really? Can you really make yourself believe that? But it truly can work. Even if you can't help snickering at yourself while doing it.
Dingfelder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
focusing, interleaving, mixed, practice, practicing, skill