Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-08-03, 01:16 PM   #31
Nasher
Unicyclist

I used to think that the person who invented Lycra should have got a Nobel prize, but then old people started wearing it & I changed my mind
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-03, 01:55 PM   #32
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Crikey! Sexism and agism on one thread. It's political incorrectness gone mad.
Old 2018-08-03, 09:26 PM   #33
Nasher
Unicyclist

I try my best
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-07, 11:36 AM   #34
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

I’ve now tried to define the concept of (non-UPD) „dismount“ for myself and also defined some subcategories.

Dismount:
Predefined set of moves resulting in
(1) a controlled steady state of movement
or
(2) a steady position
of the rider and the unicycle such that not all the weight of the rider is supported by the unicycle.

In my opinion one should differentiate five levels of control of dismounts and UPDs
(I) intentional dismount: the position and/or time of dismount is chosen by the rider. The unicycle is under control.
(II) forced dismount: the position/time of dismount is determined by external factors, but the dismount is controlled by the rider. The unicycle is under control.
(III) controlled UPD: the position/time of dismount is determined by the course of riding, but the set of movements is predefined completely. The unicycle remains under control.
(IV) partially controlled UPD: some moves during the dismount are standardized reactions to avoid injury. The unicycle is not under control.
(V) uncontrolled UPD: the final position of rider and unicycle are not influenced by the rider.

My intention for this thread was to get to know some of the category-(I)-dismounts (intentional dismounts) you all use.
Mine are: the „step off to the back“ (elegant dismount), and the step off the front while grabbing the uni at the rear bumper - in most cases to walking whilst pushing to uni alongside of me.

The only category-(II)-dismount I use is the step-off-front-and-grab-the-uni.

The controlled UPDs (III) are of the same type, as I have automatized the movement of grabbing the rear bumper.

Partially controlled UPDs (category (IV) for me mostly involve running out a suddenly stopping uni without bothering to catch it. In the early learning days I had some controlled judo-rolling UPDs.

Category-(V)-dismounts can be the most spectacular ones (face plant) or silly looking ones (butt plant). The butt plant is rather frequent one for me as I am in the learning phase of backwards riding.

Reviewing the intention of this thread I find it would also be informative to know how other unicyclists cope with categories (II),(III) and (IV), though my prime interest is still the intentional dismount (category (I))
I‘ll never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)
Onewheelhenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-07, 03:21 PM   #35
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

I suppose you could have more or less categories. For me, there are roughly three: 1. Controlled dismount. 2. UPD landing on feet. 3. UPD landing on another part of your body.

I remember, as a beginner, reading that level 1 freestyle required a controlled dismount off the back. I thought, wow, I can't do that. I'm not sure exactly when I started dismounting off the back, but I think it was around the time I got my first 20" and started practicing idling and backwards riding.

Slipping off the pedals could be a class of UPD by itself. The consequences are pretty unpredictable, but the result can be falling onto the unicycle and/or falling backwards onto the butt/back/head. Learning to grab the seat helped me keep the connection to the uni, it keeps the uni from shooting out from under me, and helps me pull the unicycle clear away during an awkward dismount. In some ways, the beginning phase is the most dangerous developmental phase of unicycle riding.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-07, 03:33 PM   #36
Setonix
Unicyclist

Onewheelhenni, you say you have a lot of falling on ur butt now that ur learning to ride backwards. I thought also with backwards ur mostly land on ur feet. I landed on my butt while learning to ride freewheel but that is because pedaling backwards doesnt stop the wheel.

I agree with ElpuebloUnido the 3 classes of dismount to keep it simple. And trying diff ways of controlled dismounts keeps it interesting. Part of that is also jumping off onto another uni someone holds as I saw in some youtube vidz, though that way not worrying what happens to the uni you leave behind.

Last edited by Setonix; 2018-08-07 at 03:38 PM.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-07, 03:47 PM   #37
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Outside of freestyle competitions I don't see any reasons to categorize dismounts/UPDs. Here is how the IUF rulebook describes it:

Quote:
7D.4 Dismount Score
The Dismount Score is calculated based on the number of major and minor falls as
outlined below. Judges need to be able to differentiate between a planned dismount and
an unplanned dismount.

Major dismounts are when the unicycle falls and/or a hand or any body part other than
the rider’s foot or feet touch the floor. Major dismounts are also when the choreography
of a rider’s routine is clearly affected.

Minor dismounts are when the unicycle does not fall, only the rider’s foot or feet touch
down and the choreography of a rider’s routine is not affected. A minor dismount may
also be counted when Judges cannot differentiate between a planned dismount and an
unplanned dismount.

Exception: Dismounts that occur while the rider is performing a seat drag skill have to
be evaluated somewhat differently since the unicycle is already on the ground. For these
dismounts, the judges should use the current above language regarding minor and major
dismounts but disregard the parts talking about the unicycle. For example, if a rider is
performing seat drag in back and steps off the unicycle with only their feet touching the
ground, it would be considered a minor dismount unless the choreography of the routine
is plainly affected.
As to different "artistic" dismounts: Aside from a few noteable exceptions (front-/backflip dismounts, brake coast dismount), I don't think they look really good. But I don't like different mounts either, so take that opinion with the appropriate grain of salt... It's just that doing a trick starting with riding and ending with riding is much harder and much cooler, and I guess I prefer that.
Old 2018-08-07, 03:49 PM   #38
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Many years ago, I jokingly posted 4 categories of dismount.

UPD1 in which the rider lands on his or her feet and is able to stop the unicycle hitting the ground.

UPD 2 in which the rider lands on her or his feet but is unable to stop the unicycle hitting the ground.

UPD 3 in which the rider is unable to remain on two feet and the unicycle hits the ground.

Ballistic UPD, in which the rider follows a ballistic curve before hitting the ground and, if still able to walk, has to do so for some distance to retrieve the unicycle.

In the case of a ballistic UPD, it is not uncommon for the rider's helmet to penetrate the bush when he comes off.

Planned dismounts fall into 3 very simple categories:
Stop and drop off the front.
Stop and step off the back. Preferred as it is more elegant and arguable safer.
Some clever sh*t that you spent some time practising when you could have been riding it somewhere instead.
Old 2018-08-07, 03:56 PM   #39
Moslki
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
I suppose you could have more or less categories. For me, there are roughly three: 1. Controlled dismount. 2. UPD landing on feet. 3. UPD landing on another part of your body.

I remember, as a beginner, reading that level 1 freestyle required a controlled dismount off the back. I thought, wow, I can't do that. I'm not sure exactly when I started dismounting off the back, but I think it was around the time I got my first 20" and started practicing idling and backwards riding.

Slipping off the pedals could be a class of UPD by itself. The consequences are pretty unpredictable, but the result can be falling onto the unicycle and/or falling backwards onto the butt/back/head. Learning to grab the seat helped me keep the connection to the uni, it keeps the uni from shooting out from under me, and helps me pull the unicycle clear away during an awkward dismount. In some ways, the beginning phase is the most dangerous developmental phase of unicycle riding.
Yes, slipping off the pedals is a UPD nightmare! After the 'slipping' one foot usually gets trapped by one of the pedals and you fall backwards on your back. Nothing you can do but break the fall and prey you will come out without too many injuries..
Moslki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-08, 08:54 AM   #40
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moslki View Post
Yes, slipping off the pedals is a UPD nightmare! After the 'slipping' one foot usually gets trapped by one of the pedals and you fall backwards on your back. Nothing you can do but break the fall and prey you will come out without too many injuries..
The opposite is also annoying when ur foot stays stuck on the pedals, so you can't land on your feet. Somehow my leg is then viced between my body and the pedal.
Old 2018-08-08, 04:14 PM   #41
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
The opposite is also annoying when ur foot stays stuck on the pedals, so you can't land on your feet. Somehow my leg is then viced between my body and the pedal.
Pinned pedals are probably not a good idea for beginners. It's safer to bail out too early rather than too late. I think it's easier to learn repositioning on relatively smooth pedals, then adapt that skill to pinned pedals, rather than the other way around. If a rider doesn't learn how to keep their feet on the pedals without pins, they may end up relying too heavily on aggressive pins to keep their feet stable. I rode with aggressive pins for about 6 months. I was annoyed by the sensation that my feet were slightly in the wrong position. I wondered if a certain amount of twisting of the feet relative to the pedals is normal during riding, considering how much swerving is involved in unicycling. Being locked into the pedals made me feel like the twisting of the unicycle was twisting my ankles and knees. If I did large drops, I would probably be thinking about more aggressive pedals.

Another form of UPD: a fall following an unsuccessful repositioning of your foot on a pinned pedal.
Old 2018-08-17, 03:37 AM   #42
JimT
Unicyclist

Back flip dismount

Here is the most creative dismount I've see:
https://youtu.be/_pzS9jVD8Sk?t=222
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-17, 05:50 AM   #43
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
Here is the most creative dismount I've see:
https://youtu.be/_pzS9jVD8Sk?t=222
Im not gonna try that

I like the UPD after repositioning ur feet. Been there, done that. Also UPD after shifting my butt on the seat. Not sure what I was doing then, but did that slightly too wild. Must have thought I was on a bike or something.
Old 2018-08-17, 02:45 PM   #44
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Here's another: the flat tire dismount. I'm riding on the trail, and things start getting really difficult for no apparent reason. I have the sudden impression that I've forgotten how to ride, I've reached a point of exhaustion where I can't control the uni, or that I'm drunk and didn't realize it. Very strange sensation.
Old 2018-09-22, 07:04 PM   #45
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

A proper dismount should always be executed by gracefully stepping off the back of your unicycle. If you cannot do it that way, you should not dismount at all.

Tags
dismounts