Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2018-08-11, 08:47 PM   #1126
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

Exactly... Nice way to put it.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-12, 07:45 AM   #1127
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Nice! You probably noticed that you prefer hopping on one side, and with one of the pedals back. I suggest you *now* practice all four variations on the hop. Don't wait until *later*, because *now* you are working with a mental model of the hop which can be transferred to the other side of your body. If you wait for *later*, muscle memory will take the place of your mental model for the hop, and this muscle memory will only help you on the side you've been practicing on.
Because of a former muscle injury my left leg is weaker and less coordinated than the right one, so I jump with the right foot back. This doesn’t keep me from bunny-hopping with the left foot back, though, in hope of being able to jump a little bit with the other side some day.
I practice all variations of „right-foot-back“-jumping. (Right and left hand on saddle / to the right or to the left). My favorite is left hand and jump to the right.

Rolling hops are also easier with the right foot back, as they require more coordination than stationary hops.
At the moment, my „route to hopping with both sides“ includes strength training for both legs to achieve symmetry in strength and hopefully coordination.
I‘ll never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)
Onewheelhenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-12, 08:07 AM   #1128
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewheelhenni View Post
The ultimate goal is to improve my jump height (approx. 8cm/3in) by jumping SIF, because I want to be able to jump up curbs while riding the streets.
Absolutely no need for seat in front to get up a curb, that's just unecessary complication, by the time you wiggled out the seat, you might aswell dismount and remount on the sidewalk. Seat in front is a great technique when your goal is to hop more than 50cm high on a trials unicycle. For 10-20 cm up a curb, seat in is more stable and quicker.
Old 2018-08-12, 11:53 AM   #1129
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
Absolutely no need for seat in front to get up a curb, that's just unecessary complication, by the time you wiggled out the seat, you might aswell dismount and remount on the sidewalk.
At my low level of riding skills, just to be able to „clear the curb“ would be a real success. Getting off and remounting is my solution at the moment, but if I would keep it at that, wouldn’t I deprive myself of a goal to reach? Actually, anything I do ON a unicycle I’m better at doing without a unicycle, so why bother? Well, I guess I love the challenge.

Quote:
Seat in front is a great technique when your goal is to hop more than 50cm high on a trials unicycle. For 10-20 cm up a curb, seat in is more stable and quicker.
Yesterday I realized exactly that! I had a photo-session with a friend and unexpectedly did several 15-20cm hops (not bunnyhops) on my 26x4.8 Hatchet. I never even managed anything near that on the Hatchet - and not on my KH20 either.
I think this shows that I could actually clear a curb seat-in with a little practice on the KH20.
I would be thankful for any help on alternative practice for improving my hopping height seat-in, as I am not too talented coordination-wise.
I‘ll never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)
Old 2018-08-12, 05:39 PM   #1130
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Absolutely no need for seat in front to get up a curb, that's just unecessary complication, by the time you wiggled out the seat, you might aswell dismount and remount on the sidewalk. Seat in front is a great technique when your goal is to hop more than 50cm high on a trials unicycle. For 10-20 cm up a curb, seat in is more stable and quicker.
Here we go again. Another battle in the epic flame war between the SI forces of darkness and and the one true light, SIF.

Finnspin, I admire your skill and knowledge and most of all the number of people you've introduced to unicycling. Maybe your intention is to warn people against doing things the hard way, which could result in frustration and quitting.

Assuming what you're saying is true: SIF is great for hops over 50cm. Then, doesn't it stand to reason that, in the progression towards a 50cm hop, one might want to practice something shorter, like a curb?

Assuming it is slower to transition to SIF while hopping up a curb: Does that mean we should avoid it? Did I miss the faster is better memo? As a beginner SIF rider, the characterization of SIF transitions you provided, above, applied to me. However, with practice, the transitions became faster and faster. But, yeah, if it were a race getting over the curb, you'd probably beat me.

To say there's no need to get up a curb SIF may be accurate. I suppose there's also no need to stop and smell the roses. Your frame of reference seems to be only to expedite getting up the curb. Some people practice different stuff just for the sake of practice, for the sake of learning new stuff.

Here are a few reasons why I go up curbs SIF.
  • My seat is already quite high.
  • My tire pressure is ~35psi, limitng the amount of spring I get from the tire.
  • Most of the curbs in my neighborhood don't have sidewalks next to them. While hopping up the curb, then riding it, I'm more successful landing on the curb and regaining balance while SIF
  • If the hop goes terribly wrong, I avoid the terrible situation where I get caught on the seat while losing contact with the pedals; SIF is safer in this regard.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-12, 08:22 PM   #1131
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Assuming what you're saying is true: SIF is great for hops over 50cm. Then, doesn't it stand to reason that, in the progression towards a 50cm hop, one might want to practice something shorter, like a curb?
Stands to reason at first sight. But the true benefit of seat in front hops is the fact that it enables you to pull the wheel up to your butt, while heavily bending your knees. Which, hopping onto a curb will not enable you to practice, for the simple reason that it's too low.

My observation so far is: as a beginning trials rider, the added stability of seat in riding (with a relatively low seat) helps a lot while getting the basic motions of hops down: the compressing the tire, and the pulling your wheel up, and the timing of the two (plus maybe motion of arms, prehops, etc...). This will get you to 3-4 pallets (45-60cm).
Once you reach that point, the things you learned seat in about compressing the tire, and then pulling up on the seat, while bending the knees translate very quickly to seat in front hops, which after a brief period of struggling with stability will get you up the same height, and then, with more pratice of the tuck position will enable you to hop much higher. That is also the point where you put your seat higher up again.

I believe for trials riding, what I described above is not only the least frustrating way, but also the most effective.
Quote:
Assuming it is slower to transition to SIF while hopping up a curb: Does that mean we should avoid it? Did I miss the faster is better memo? As a beginner SIF rider, the characterization of SIF transitions you provided, above, applied to me. However, with practice, the transitions became faster and faster. But, yeah, if it were a race getting over the curb, you'd probably beat me.

To say there's no need to get up a curb SIF may be accurate. I suppose there's also no need to stop and smell the roses. Your frame of reference seems to be only to expedite getting up the curb. Some people practice different stuff just for the sake of practice, for the sake of learning new stuff.
If your goal is to do trials, or hop up curbs for the fun of it, admittedly the time difference doesn't matter. But I assume most of the time people hop up curbs, it's for practical reasons such as changing the side of the street you ride on, and for that very case, it's very practical to be able to do it quickly. I tend to imagine someone reading this forum as the only input to learn unicycling, and to that imaginary reader I wanted to tell that seat in front is not everyones way to do things.

I understand your reasons to hop seat in front however. I hope you enjoy the discussion as much as I do, I think in combination we provide people a lot of insight in why we do things in certain ways, which I probably wouldn't type out if it weren't for you.
Old 2018-08-12, 08:34 PM   #1132
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
I hope you enjoy the discussion as much as I do, I think in combination we provide people a lot of insight in why we do things in certain ways, which I probably wouldn't type out if it weren't for you.
Thanks, finnspin! I appreciate you explaining how seat-in is a logical bridge to seat-in-front. And I totally respect that you've worked with a lot of beginners. It's hard to argue with what works. Glad you're on the forum, and glad you haven't ditched us completely for the facebook group.
Old 2018-08-13, 12:37 PM   #1133
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

Your discussion in SI/SIF is very motivating for me.
If wriggling out the seat is so difficult, then why not try it. As I am a left-hand-holder, I decided to jerk out the seat with my right hand on the front handle and grab it from the side with my left hand once it’s out. This plan set I succeeded on first try (no wriggling, just jerking and grabbing). Interestingly, I could do a complete lap (65m) SIF, which more than doubled my previous record.

Well, finnspin, wriggling time will not be the issue for me. I see, though, the value of your arguments for training jumps SI. This I tried to improve today, also. I think I’m stable at jumping 15cm, which is curb height. SIF-jumps are 15cm as well, but I can’t ride away from them yet, which is another argument for SI.
I’ll keep trying and hope the discussion SI/SIF continues so I can learn from it or be inspired by it.

Last edited by Onewheelhenni; 2018-08-13 at 12:38 PM.
Old 2018-08-13, 01:46 PM   #1134
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
I’ll keep trying and hope the discussion SI/SIF continues so I can learn from it or be inspired by it.
I think you should create a separate thread for it and keep this one for more bragging ^_^
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-13, 03:18 PM   #1135
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
I think you should create a separate thread for it and keep this one for more bragging ^_^
Setonix is right. This is not a SIF thread; this thread is for bragging. For example: I can ride backwards figure eights with both hands SIF.
Old 2018-08-13, 03:37 PM   #1136
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

Quote:
Setonix is right. This is not a SIF thread; this thread is for bragging. For example: I can ride backwards figure eights with both hands SIF.
I can even do these things seperately!
-I can ridebackwards
-I can ride a figure eight
-I can ride with both hands
-I can ride SIF.
Old 2018-08-13, 06:51 PM   #1137
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
I can even do these things seperately!
-I can ridebackwards
-I can ride a figure eight
-I can ride with both hands
-I can ride SIF.
I can almost do all of those things with the car, though riding SIF with it I haven't learned yet
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-14, 08:04 AM   #1138
fetzenschorsch
Peace on Earth Unicycle Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
I can almost do all of those things with the car, though riding SIF with it I haven't learned yet
I can freemount my car, a rolling mount i didn`t tried yet.
Old 2018-08-18, 10:33 AM   #1139
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzenschorsch View Post
I can freemount my car, a rolling mount i didn`t tried yet.
I already did a rolling mount with one of my previous car when it stopped and I moved it out of the way:
_ push the car front the driver side with tje door open
_ when you get some momentum, hop in
- then use a firm foot on the brakes (no hydraulics engaged) or the handbrake for a clean stop
- open the door and step out(regular car dismount)

Siddhartha Valmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-20, 03:28 AM   #1140
Saul_nova
Unicyclist

Today, my first day attempting a free-mount, I succeeded and have perfected it enough that I spent my last hour trying to steer consistently. This is 18 days after I got my first try on the unicycle. Once I can steer consistently, I should be able to mix it up with pedestrians and other cyclists in public. Being able to do figure eights would make me very happy.
Saul_nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brag, landed, thread, today, tricks, version 2