Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-08-01, 06:07 AM   #16
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Grass is a surprisingly tricky surface to ride on, especially long tussocky grass, but even mown grass saps your energy and hides tripping hazards.

The trick is to ride at about 80% of your normal speed so that you have some left if you need to accelerate out of a near UPD. Hold the front of your seat, not so much to push or pull, but because your fingers will give you feedback about what is happening under your wheel faster than your eyes will. Keep your body upright (don't hunch over) because keeping your mass high will slow down your wobbles. (Think of how a longer pendulum swings more slowly than a shorter one.) Look at the ground a few metres/yards ahead and pick your route around (or through) difficult patches.

A good discipline is to find a wide empty area of grass, such as a sports field, and ride with your eyes closed. Go for 5 pedal strokes, then try 10, then build up and see how far you can manage. Closing your eyes will train your body to react to the physical feedback you get from the uni.

If the grass is very long or the ground is very uneven, you may find it easier to stand on your pedals.

I have a 700c uni which used to have a 23 mm tyre although at present it has a 32. I used to ride it regularly on unmown grass such as river bank paths. I used to think of attacking the tral with a rapier, rather than with the broadsword of a more conventional muni. That is, you concentrate on finding your way between the obstacles relying on timing and finesse, rather than just hacking your way through. Very rewarding, but tiring.
Old 2018-08-01, 08:44 AM   #17
Setonix
Unicyclist

I see I last posted here in 2015 when I just learned to ride. I've also found that just pushing on and not thinking too much about what pits there might be in the grass and stand more on the pedals than sit, gets met safely through the grass. There are always some rough pits here and there that just block the wheel, but just hop up and continue.

I don't find riding a fatty makes it easier to ride, as it adds a lot to the friction, which slurps more energy.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-01, 08:49 AM   #18
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
A good discipline is to find a wide empty area of grass, such as a sports field, and ride with your eyes closed.
Funny you say that, I also occasionally ride with my eyes closed when riding on the cyclepath, just to focus on the feeling. In my mind it shouldn't make it harder as your body already reacts to difference in balance. Naturally I have to open my eyes every now and then so I don't ride off the cycle path against a tree or something.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-02, 09:44 AM   #19
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Lutz Eichholz called riding on grass a "lottery" at Elsbet this year, and I think that is pretty appropriate. If you are not riding very slow, and carefully (which is boring and exhausting), there will be a hole or bump hidden that will get you at some point, you just don't know when. I treat the grass as a necessary evil if a trail goes across it. Certainly not fun for me, it's more fun to deal with obstacles you can see..
Old 2018-08-06, 03:38 AM   #20
rrurban
Unicyclist

I have the same Nimbus II uni and am familiar with that tire

-deflate the tire a bit so it feels bouncy
-ride up out of the saddle a bit and let your legs take the bumps, this will help the most
-learning to hop, and especially idling, will help you ride out of the saddle and to develop more balance in general
Nimbus II 26 Muni conversion
rrurban is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumpy, grass, ride