Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Videos

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2020-02-04, 10:12 AM   #16
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruari View Post
I know this video is coming in the future… I know it!
Maybe I'll do one of those "minute by minute" videos that's so popular (?) on norwegian telvision: "Riding very very slowly for a few miles - minute by minute"
Old 2020-02-11, 06:19 AM   #17
slamdance
Unicyclist

A "little bit" each time you ride...

Stop doing your normal 3 o'clock & 9 o'clock free mounting.

START doing Half-idle free mount. Give it at least 5-10 attempts each time you go riding. This is your "intro" to idling...if you care to learn.

That's how I did it and that was my "attitude" when I was learning(failing/over/over again...). Actually, I just could not do the 3/9 traditional free mount. This included falling on my face a few times from "pressure" on the back pedal...it kicked out and shot out behind me. Then I hurled my stupid unicycle about 20ft into the sky..olympic hammer toss style...you know spinning...then screaming...with bloody knees and broken teeth.
Actually, I can do it now. The reason why? Learning to idle taught me superior balance/control, so I can finally do the damn 3/9 o'clock (Egg squasher) free mount.

Last edited by slamdance; 2020-02-11 at 06:20 AM. Reason: .
slamdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-11, 08:11 PM   #18
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdance View Post
Stop doing your normal 3 o'clock & 9 o'clock free mounting.

START doing Half-idle free mount. Give it at least 5-10 attempts each time you go riding. This is your "intro" to idling...if you care to learn.

That's how I did it and that was my "attitude" when I was learning(failing/over/over again...). Actually, I just could not do the 3/9 traditional free mount. This included falling on my face a few times from "pressure" on the back pedal...it kicked out and shot out behind me. Then I hurled my stupid unicycle about 20ft into the sky..olympic hammer toss style...you know spinning...then screaming...with bloody knees and broken teeth.
Actually, I can do it now. The reason why? Learning to idle taught me superior balance/control, so I can finally do the damn 3/9 o'clock (Egg squasher) free mount.
I could of course practice roll back mount (maybe I will), but it's not usefull for my regular riding. I'm either on a 36" or I'm at at a place where thers's usually not enough space to do the roll back.

I've not improved a lot, but I've had a few attempts where I'm actually in control for a few seconds. I have a long way to go, but it doesn't feel completely hopeless like it did before. The key to my better attempts is the start. If bodypositon, speed and maybe some other factors are perfect when I start on the first idle, I have a shot. So far I need a little luck for this to happen.

What seems to be working for me so far of all the advice I got (thanks!) are these two:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
-As you get to the end of one stroke, allow yourself to pause for a moment and feel which direction your weight is falling, then respond accordingly.
-Straight posture.Keep your head, shoulders, and hips stacked. Think of your chest being pulled up and ever so slightly out when you ride.

Tags
hard, idling