Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-04-19, 03:07 PM   #811
Nurse Ben
XC Muni
 
Nurse Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northern Cascades, USA
Age: 53
Posts: 4,644
Quote:
Funniest part was the first climb where you said "that will get the cobwebs out" because I feel that way on the climb to get a 36er out of my neighborhood. Climbing keeps my attention and makes me focus when it comes time to use high gear for the descent.
So maybe I'm crazy(er), but is climbing not as much fun as desending?

Seriously, I will go out of my way for a good climb esp if it has a corresponding descent.

The other day, after a long ride, I had the choice of finishing on flowing single track along the lake or riding up and over the ridge; I chose the ridge and it was amazing, completed the "Rainbow" with no UPD's for the first time ever on my new 26er
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 03:34 PM   #812
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired
 
MuniAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 62
Posts: 14,572
Yeah, nothing more exhilarating (and tiring, but in a good way!) than a good climb! Always makes me feel like I've earned the downhills.
__________________
Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
-Dani Buron


Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 07:44 PM   #813
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired
 
MuniAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 62
Posts: 14,572
The trail I rode yesterday has many short but steep climbs, and I rode my G26er. Worked well on the flatter singletrack but I found myself having to downshift a lot due to so many hills, and the climbs were very taxing but doable.

So my question is, do you think the climbs, in general, would be easier with my kh 29er (wtb stout)? I thought maybe this would be a more practical choice for this particular trail, and still give me decent speed. The way the trail is laid out, there just aren't enough stretches of trail where I can do sustained speeds in high, without having to downshift for steep climbs.

I was very curious to see what the weight difference was between the Schlumpf wheelset and the 29er wheelset, and was surprised to find that the 29er wheelset was only about a 1lb lighter! I realize that it's mostly the rotational weight that affects climbing difficulty, but I'm now thinking that the 1lb weight savings on the 29er would pretty much be offset by the 3" larger diameter wheel. Thoughts?
__________________
Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
-Dani Buron


Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2012-04-19 at 07:46 PM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 11:30 PM   #814
uniShark
muni commuter
 
uniShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missoula, MT, USA
Age: 46
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
The trail I rode yesterday has many short but steep climbs, and I rode my G26er. Worked well on the flatter singletrack but I found myself having to downshift a lot due to so many hills, and the climbs were very taxing but doable.

So my question is, do you think the climbs, in general, would be easier with my kh 29er (wtb stout)? I thought maybe this would be a more practical choice for this particular trail, and still give me decent speed. The way the trail is laid out, there just aren't enough stretches of trail where I can do sustained speeds in high, without having to downshift for steep climbs.

I was very curious to see what the weight difference was between the Schlumpf wheelset and the 29er wheelset, and was surprised to find that the 29er wheelset was only about a 1lb lighter! I realize that it's mostly the rotational weight that affects climbing difficulty, but I'm now thinking that the 1lb weight savings on the 29er would pretty much be offset by the 3" larger diameter wheel. Thoughts?
I had hoped that by switching from ungeared 29 to 26 guni, it would increase my climbing ability with the smaller wheel, while increasing speed with the high gear. While top speed certainly went up with the guni, if anything I think I climb better with the 29, and overall I like the 29 better, although I found just the action of switching gears in itself to be really fun. Maybe 24 guni would be the way to go, but the 24 wheel feels really small to me.
__________________
My 29er is my little wheel. Roll it, baby!

pLs forgve anu typist imak win positing forum my fone.
uniShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 12:49 AM   #815
tholub
Totally Doable
 
tholub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Berkeley, CA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniShark View Post
I had hoped that by switching from ungeared 29 to 26 guni, it would increase my climbing ability with the smaller wheel, while increasing speed with the high gear. While top speed certainly went up with the guni, if anything I think I climb better with the 29, and overall I like the 29 better, although I found just the action of switching gears in itself to be really fun. Maybe 24 guni would be the way to go, but the 24 wheel feels really small to me.
A 29er is a fine climber; you go 10% further with each pedal rev than on a 26, and the effort is less than 10% greater. (In fact it's probably less if you have a typical 29er tire vs. a full-on MUni tire on the 26").
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 01:13 AM   #816
napalm
Because i can.
 
napalm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 30
Posts: 997
I recently changed from a Geared 24" set up to a lighter weight G26er (130mm cranks). I found that the larger wheel helps quieten trail chatter and is actually better for rolling in steep technical sections. All in all the change has been a good one.

Riding an unguarded 29er on moderate trails is always going to be easier (and for a lot of people faster) than riding a geared 26er. Getting the most out of a geared unicycle is difficult- it takes much more skill and strength, but the payoff once you can harness the potential is immense. Thinking that having gears will automatically make you a faster rider is a misnomer that lots of people have about GMunis. It gives you the potential, you still need to put in the hard work to be able to harness it. After 2 years of solid Gmuni riding I find that i am still learning and adding to my shifting/riding technique. It is true that for the first 6 months or so- i would have still been faster on a 29er than my geared 24". However, the type of riding i do now, and the speed at which I can do it, would be completely impossible on a 29er (Ken Looi and Jamey Mossengren can attest to that)

Mark
__________________
Find out about my latest Enduro XC rides and races at my blog.

http://www.markandhisunicycle.wordpress.com
napalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 01:23 AM   #817
danger_uni
Kris Holm
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Vancouver BC
Age: 45
Posts: 1,791
Couldn't agree more with the above. That's basically what I say in the intro to geared riding in my book.
Kris

Last edited by danger_uni; 2012-04-20 at 01:24 AM.
danger_uni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 01:49 AM   #818
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired
 
MuniAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 62
Posts: 14,572
I just got back from a hill climb comparison between my G26er and my stock kh 29er. I found a fairly steep (maybe 15% grade) grassy hill and my first climb was with the 29er. The last top half of the climb took the most work but it felt pretty good. I waited a few minutes and then I did the same climb on the G26er (in 1:1 of course) and was surprised that it was very noticeably *easier*! No question about it.

I'm not sure whether it's just because I'm so used to the G26er, and haven't ridden the 29er in many months or, that it's simply physics; The larger 29er wheel weighs only slightly less than the G26er wheel, but the Larger wheel requires more force/leg strength to turn then a smaller wheel. Makes sense to me.

My bottom line: The G26er is an awesome MUni machine, great for a wide variety of terrain, from XC to moderately technical, handles pretty much like a normal 26er in 1:1, and is a virtual 39er in disguise!
__________________
Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
-Dani Buron


Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2012-04-20 at 01:53 AM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 05:50 AM   #819
tholub
Totally Doable
 
tholub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Berkeley, CA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
I just got back from a hill climb comparison between my G26er and my stock kh 29er. I found a fairly steep (maybe 15% grade) grassy hill and my first climb was with the 29er. The last top half of the climb took the most work but it felt pretty good. I waited a few minutes and then I did the same climb on the G26er (in 1:1 of course) and was surprised that it was very noticeably *easier*! No question about it.
Did you time it? Maybe it was easier because you were going slower.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 06:42 AM   #820
Yeti
www.unicycling.de
 
Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Headquarters at Wiesloch, Germany, but travelling the world frequently
Age: 47
Posts: 7,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
I just got back from a hill climb comparison between my G26er and my stock kh 29er. I found a fairly steep (maybe 15% grade) grassy hill and my first climb was with the 29er. The last top half of the climb took the most work but it felt pretty good. I waited a few minutes and then I did the same climb on the G26er (in 1:1 of course) and was surprised that it was very noticeably *easier*! No question about it.
Same crank length?
__________________
Wolfgang

Quote:
Originally Posted by some mountain biker
War für mich sowas wie eine Yeti-Sichtung. Hätte nie gedacht, daß das geht ...
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 01:11 PM   #821
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired
 
MuniAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 62
Posts: 14,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
Same crank length?
Yes, 150's. Again, I think it's that the smaller the wheel, the less force it takes to turn.
__________________
Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
-Dani Buron


Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 01:16 PM   #822
Nurse Ben
XC Muni
 
Nurse Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northern Cascades, USA
Age: 53
Posts: 4,644
Quote:
I just got back from a hill climb comparison between my G26er and my stock kh 29er. I found a fairly steep (maybe 15% grade) grassy hill and my first climb was with the 29er. The last top half of the climb took the most work but it felt pretty good. I waited a few minutes and then I did the same climb on the G26er (in 1:1 of course) and was surprised that it was very noticeably *easier*! No question about it.
I have been mostly on fixed 29 for the past year, all muni, so I'm very comfortable riding a big wheel on technical single track. I built a 26guni last year, but didn't find it practical for the trails I ride, so it's been gathering dust. Last week I built a fixed 26 wheel; prior to the 29 I rode a 26 exclusively.

So far I have two rides on the fixed 26, the first ride was a little akward as I adjusted to the smaller wheel; I was also sick with a stomach bug. I noticed that climbing was easier right off the bat, the cranks (150) turned over easier and I had could maintain my climb over a longer distance. On this first 26er ride I cleaned a long (1/2 mile) climb that I had not been able to do without a UPD on a 29er.

On the second ride I was feeling better, the smaller wheel size was no longer akward feeling, again the climbing was easier. I cleaned another climb I had not been able to do on the 29er, this climb was short, steep, rooty and rocky. I was so excited about it that I started clapping, tried to give my dog a high five and he just looked at me

One of the oddest things I found was that I started hopping, almost like it was instinctive. I am not a hopper outside of the occassional repositioning while holding onto a tree, but on the 26er I find that the smaller wheel is more conducive to hopping, so I automatically started hopping when I felt like I needed a pause before taking a line or when I needed to reposition on my line.

But, I still like the 29er for speed, flow, and the terrain smoothing effect. It's nice to have choices
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 02:32 PM   #823
tholub
Totally Doable
 
tholub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Berkeley, CA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
Yes, 150's. Again, I think it's that the smaller the wheel, the less force it takes to turn.
No, the lighter the wheel, the less force it takes to turn. A larger, lighter wheel takes less force to turn than a smaller, heavier wheel.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 02:47 PM   #824
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired
 
MuniAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 62
Posts: 14,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by tholub View Post
No, the lighter the wheel, the less force it takes to turn. A larger, lighter wheel takes less force to turn than a smaller, heavier wheel.
It would seem logical to assume that if the difference in wheel weight is negligible, as it is in my case, the smaller diameter wheel would be easier to turn. If we take it to extremes, I don't think it would be easier to climb a 30% grade on a 60" wheel vs a 24", even if the 60" wheel was lighter than the 24". You would never make it through the long arc of a single half rev!
__________________
Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
-Dani Buron


Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2012-04-20 at 02:51 PM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 03:17 PM   #825
tholub
Totally Doable
 
tholub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Berkeley, CA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
It would seem logical to assume that if the difference in wheel weight is negligible, as it is in my case, the smaller diameter wheel would be easier to turn. If we take it to extremes, I don't think it would be easier to climb a 30% grade on a 60" wheel vs a 24", even if the 60" wheel was lighter than the 24". You would never make it through the long arc of a single half rev!
If you clamp both unicycles in a bike stand and turn the pedals, if the wheel weight is similar and similarly distributed, they will be equally easy to turn. A 29ers' weight is probably somewhat further away from the hub than a 26er, so there's a small difference there, but it's not the important difference. The important difference is the distance covered with each pedal revolution--the effective gear. Your effective gear is higher on a 29er by about 15%, which means that if you're pedaling at the same cadence, you're moving 15% faster on the 29er.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
discussion, general, hubs, mumpitz, schlumpf


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Schlumpf hub setup discussion thread steveyo General Unicycling Discussions 153 2011-11-20 11:13 AM
New Forum for General Discussion bcmate2008 Requests, Questions, and Bugs on this site 1 2008-10-29 10:03 PM
Discussion Threads Discussion Thread unifreak7 General Unicycling Discussions 21 2008-07-25 07:56 AM
Kris Holm Schlumpf Muni Hub vs Schlumpf Road Hub osmundo General Unicycling Discussions 5 2008-03-19 03:42 PM
Coker, Schlumpf 29er, or Schlumpf 36er siafirede General Unicycling Discussions 9 2005-11-11 11:37 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2016 Gilby
You Rated this Thread:
Page generated in 0.42580 seconds with 11 queries