Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-07-06, 07:08 PM   #31
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Huh, yep that's them! Hopefully the MagPed bearings aren't only £20 worth! Though I suppose that does mean if the bearings do kick the bucket I can just swipe off the magnet mount off mine and put 'em on a new pair of Rockbros

I got a response from them and they've said they can send me the green magnet holding part with another pair of magnets for £35.

Bit of added weight for the ease of any-way-up mounting. I reckon I'll go for it - I can always put them on another pair of pedals so I have two pairs of magnetic ones if the weight gets annoying.
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-14, 01:38 AM   #32
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Soo, I've been commuting on these MagPed pedals this week, and figured I'd post a bit more about them now I've gotten to grips (totally intended) with them.

Firstly, due to the size of the magnet, it's not always a case of jumping on and being hooked on straight away, and finding the point where you get maximum hold is sometimes a bit tedious as it's quite easy to land in a way that the cleat is half-off the magnet, which causes you to be held well enough to struggle sliding it around, but not well enough to feel securely attached. This is getting better as I learn to wiggle my foot in place better, and actually means I can mount and dismount unclipped easily as I can just about wiggle my foot off the magnet when I see the light turn red. Not that it's really needed, as dismounting right off the magnet pretty much always works without issue.

There have been no unintentional unclips yet, and it's easy enough to 'pull up' on the pedals (though in actual usage I don't actually think anyone does this even on two wheels, I certainly don't), so I suppose that means the pedals have enough holding power for my usage!

I've got two different pairs of SPD shoes I've tested the pedals on - one is more of a road/CX pair, ie. minimal tread and a smooth plastic sole. These are terrible, but I reckon that's only because the pedals are 1-sided and so if I botch the mount I'll be riding on smooth plastic against metal, which means disaster! My other pair are more MTB-ey and has a normal rubber sole around the SPD cleat hole, meaning I can still use them on the non-magnet side so I've stuck to these for now. What little tread is on my roadie pair is also a lot deeper than the MTB pair, and I struggled making the magnet on the pedal stick out enough to reliably connect, but maybe I'll give the roadie shoes another go at some point when I've got the dual-sided pedals sorted as they're much lighter (and cooler looking).

I'm actually expecting a pair of green plates/magnets through the door any day now, so I'll post a pic when they're built
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Old 2018-07-17, 10:21 PM   #33
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

OK, last post! I finally received a second set of magnet plates and bolted 'em on. I now have a double-sided pair of MagPeds! This should hopefully solve my biggest issue with the pedals.

Tags
maglock, pedals, unicycle