Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2006-01-15, 01:26 AM   #1
UNIquelyCanadian
Static Long Jump ~ 2.0 Meters

Question Building a Grind Rail?

I want to grind, I have a funbox 20"x3'x3' front steps and an iron box/tube 10" wide 16 feet long.

To learn to grind do I want a flat grind rail or and downward slope (how much slope)? Does a candle work to wax the rail? Do Snafu pedals work with the pins removed (or can I leave them in)? I pedal grab with my hind foot, can I grind the same way?

Most importantly: how do I setup the rail using the three objects I have available?

Thank you in advance for your kind help, for kindly being helpful and for your helpful kindness!

“When someone tells you there is no such thing as truth, they are asking you not to believe them. So don’t.”
- Dr. Roger Scruton
UNIquelyCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 03:01 AM   #2
The Bruiser
Unicyclist

im not really sure you are supposed to wax a metal rail
The Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 03:06 AM   #3
kapoute
All around !

Send a message via MSN to kapoute
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIquelyCanadian

To learn to grind do I want a flat grind rail or and downward slope (how much slope)? Do Snafu pedals work with the pins removed (or can I leave them in)? I pedal grab with my hind foot, can I grind the same way?

Thank you in advance for your kind help, for kindly being helpful and for your helpful kindness!
- Downward slope

- Yes snafu pedals works but you better put the pins off ( except if you want to bail )

- I think you should grind with the same foot

Have fun !

Communauté des monocyclistes de Montréal
kapoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 04:55 AM   #4
ntappin
Ask me about the Ottawa unicyclists

Send a message via MSN to ntappin
Waxing a metal rail works wonderfully. If you really want a perfect sliding surface, I would follow this method of waxing.

1. rub your rail with candle wax or the sort (a block of paraphin wax is perfect)
2. melt it all down with a blow torch
3. repeat one and two
4. test
5. repeat as necesary.

This way the wax gets into all the tiny cracks in the metal and makes it crazy smooth as well as putting a lubricant on it. Something about the melting process at that high heat seems to help it stay on better.

edit: I would try and build something adjustable because I find its alot easier to learn on something flat and then make it slope down.
With a metal rail you don't need the slope and it just makes it more difficult to learn, but its a good idea to learn how to ride down a slope because most areas apart from metal rails that you are going to be able to slide on will be sloped.

Last edited by ntappin; 2006-01-15 at 04:59 AM.
ntappin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 05:00 AM   #5
juggle508
805elgguJ

Send a message via AIM to juggle508
Heres a thread i had a while back when i made my rail. It includes pictures also.

http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthr...ght=grind+rail

KH.
Old 2006-01-15, 07:13 AM   #6
maestro8
is what it is

Quote:
To learn to grind do I want a flat grind rail or and downward slope (how much slope)? Does a candle work to wax the rail? Do Snafu pedals work with the pins removed (or can I leave them in)? I pedal grab with my hind foot, can I grind the same way?
A sloped rail sitting on flat ground won't be much different from a flat rail on flat ground... you can grind just as long on a flat rail. A good sloped rail makes an angle of 40-45 degrees with the ground; you can only hit this rail from a pyramid or fun box.

Candle wax, surfboard wax, even earwax would work on the rail... it doesn't need to be fancy, it just needs to be slick. The only difference you'll see in your choice of wax is how long it will last.

You can grind with pins in but you won't grind as well and you'll likely mangle your pedal. Snafu's aren't built for grinding or pedal grabbing; I'd recommend putting a grind plate on them first, otherwise you could break your pedal. I have a pair of Odyssey Jim Cielinskis and they work great for grinding: they're wide, thick and reinforced.

As far as which foot to grind with, go with what works for you. I grind with my left foot back, although most grind with their forward foot. I'm finding out that hitting a handrail with your back foot is a lot more difficult than with your forward foot, but as long as I've got short rails and ledges to grind, I'm good to go.

Good luck!
Old 2006-01-15, 09:20 AM   #7
swarbrim
blank

Send a message via ICQ to swarbrim Send a message via MSN to swarbrim
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro8
A sloped rail sitting on flat ground won't be much different from a flat rail on flat ground... you can grind just as long on a flat rail.

Ok are you referring to the first part of your sentance (where you talk about a sloped rail on flatland), or are you saying 'you can grind just as long on a flat rail'. Because that makes no sense.

Mike

'i like things big' - Amanda

'Crankflips are like woman, hard to understand' Peter/Probailer2
swarbrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 08:20 PM   #8
UNIquelyCanadian

Update:

I've spend 3 grind sessions so far. (About one hour total) With the slanted grind rail I can now grind 4' about 75% of the time.

The temperature has been hanging around -18c so the waxing was hard. I would rub some on then use a micro-torch to melt it onto to rail a 1/2 inch at a time! Consequentially, I don't have very much of the rail/tabletop waxed. I've used about a cubic inch of wax to cover a space, in patches, of about 500sq inches.

It turned out that I just set one end of the rail on the fun box, held in place with nails, and the other end, about 10' away, on the ground. That way I have a potential of grinding about 4 feet before the tire hits the ground. I tried setting the rail so it was level (from the box to the steps) but I couldn't get it to slide. I would land, stop, and either go into a stall or just plain fall, do I need more wax? I got up as much speed as I could with a 6' run-up.

I'm using my snafu pedals with a homemade grind plate attached. I waxed the plate, to make up for the lack of wax on the rail, is that a good idea?

When I jump to grind I end up landing in a crank grab, then slide into a pedal grab, am I killing my cranks (note the photo)?
Attached Images

“When someone tells you there is no such thing as truth, they are asking you not to believe them. So don’t.”
- Dr. Roger Scruton

Last edited by UNIquelyCanadian; 2006-01-23 at 08:22 PM.
Old 2006-01-23, 08:35 PM   #9
maestro8
is what it is

Quote:
I tried setting the rail so it was level (from the box to the steps) but I couldn't get it to slide.
The most important thing to do when grinding on a flat rail is to avoid jumping higher than you need to land on the rail. In other words, only jump as high as you need to land your grind. If you jump any higher, you come down hard on the rail and end up creating a lot of friction on the rail, slowing yourself down.

Try a smaller rolling hop onto the rail and you should notice you'll grind a lot further. Of course, carry as much speed / forward momentum into your grind as possible... as if you're trying to rolling hop a wide gap.

Quote:
When I jump to grind I end up landing in a crank grab, then slide into a pedal grab, am I killing my cranks (note the photo)?
It looks like you've got Profiles on your uni... don't worry about scratching off the paint... you can't avoid that. Just check them periodically to make sure they're not rusting... other than that you'll be fine. I've been grinding and grabbing with my cranks for over 6 months with little damage other than the missing paint.

Chromed cranks are less prone to damage than the painted ones, but I didn't learn that until after I got my crankset

Have fun!
Old 2006-01-23, 08:45 PM   #10
mango
unity - as 1 stand together

Send a message via AIM to mango
Thats alot of good advice, jason!
Old 2006-05-18, 04:49 PM   #11
UNIquelyCanadian

The advice was good! Thanks for taking the time to help...

Update:

The local (small) skate park is open now so I have access to "real" grind rails, so far I've tried grinding another 15 minutes with 90% success rate (eg. riding out of a grind) on the edge of a fun box and 15" high 1' wide rail.

They have a wide rail running down the side of a pyramid about 12' long with a drop/slope of 5' (35 degree angle?) by the time I reach the bottom I have too much speed to ride out of it. What I have been doing is just hopping off the rail before I get going too fast.

How do you slow yourself on a grind? Or, how do you land when your moving faster then you can ride out?

- Dr. Roger Scruton

Last edited by UNIquelyCanadian; 2006-05-18 at 04:52 PM.
Old 2006-05-18, 07:07 PM   #12
maestro8
is what it is

Quote:
How do you slow yourself on a grind?
Drag your heel on the ledge / rail. The more of your heel you can get on the rail and the more you weight it, the more it brakes.

Quote:
Or, how do you land when your moving faster then you can ride out?
Land in a glide!
Old 2006-05-31, 09:24 PM   #13
UNIquelyCanadian

Here's a video of one of my grinds, general critique welcome:

Link (3mb)

- Dr. Roger Scruton
Old 2006-05-31, 09:33 PM   #14
maestro8
is what it is

Quote:
general critique welcome
General Critique reporting for duty, Sir!

That's a decent static grind... now try working on rolling into the grind.

My only comment on your grind is that you want to avoid twisting your wheel to exit the grind... if you're going fast that's a good way to faceplant. All you need is a small sidehop. Try and land with your wheel parallel to the rail. On a rail like that you can even just drop off the end of the rail and roll it out without any hop.
Old 2006-05-31, 09:37 PM   #15
trials_uni
Trials and Muni Rider!

Looks pretty good...I have not critique as i can not grind yet but it still looks like your progressing nicely
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTheMountain
Hey thanks! The unicycle community needs more people like you, willing to out Bike Suprematists and stand up for the rights of unicyclists!
I'm puttiing you in for an Award at NAUCC!
trials_uni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
building, grind, rail