Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2013-01-22, 06:48 AM   #16
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Yes, I love the unicycle. There aren't many proper Touring unicycles out there, but that sure is one. Best of luck on your adventure!

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 09:48 AM   #17
dragonzfly
Rob O'Brien, Sydney

Awesomeness

Absolutely awesome.
You are a legend.
dragonzfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 04:03 PM   #18
Jakub Ner
Unicyclist

Fantastic. Hope you keep a tour log so we can follow from our couches.

Amazing unicycle.
Jakub Ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 09:27 PM   #19
anso
accro au mono

Sorry for not giving news earlier. Internet access is limited.
Thanks tons for the encouragements. And Geoff, I have to say, when I have a hard time, I think of your comment and it helps.
Thanks for the note, Tom, about Chile. Indeed I'm all mixed up with English, Spanish and French... too many languages (and hard to English spelling on Spanish computers or a phone), and I made the mistake everywhere.

I'm not going to blog along the way, it would be too stressful. People waiting for news... I already feel pressure with my GPS since you can follow my route and know where I'm at everyday. And also because I wanted to be away fro m internet for a bit (I'm not succeeding as much as i wanted though)

Regarding the other discussion about world touring and wheel size, I decided to go with 29er and geared, and I'm pretty happy so far (well, I can't use the high gear now but it won't be like that all the time). Of course I'm taking a risk that it can brake, but I think it is worth it. I have access to replacement parts, and a fast postal service easily so that helps (but the customs in Argentina are pretty bad, so I'm only allowed to break in Chile )
Also Justin has a geared hub that I could borrow I guess if mine has problems, otherwise I would have a normal hub and spokes shipped.

I left on January 27th. The first 2 days went ok, hard but not too bad (with 50 or 60 km in a day). And then I discovered the real winds of Patagonia. No way I could use the high gear. The worst is when trucks pass (or cross) me, the air drag is so bad that it makes me fall even at low gear. So my most important piece of equipment is my mirror.
The fifth day was just scary, first that my tent was going to break, then because I could not even mount on the uni. The head winds were at about 80km/h. The news even sais tgat there were gustwind of 130km/h. I was hoping that in the evening the wind would be nicer,but no. It looks like tomorrow is not going to be nice either so I will probably wait for another day.
anso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 12:07 AM   #20
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

Wow, that's a huge adventure. And a superb design of unicycle to do such a tour with. I hadn't seen this thread before but I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure you'll have tons of fun. Even those winds will add spice to your stories later on, you'll be glad they were that strong!
Klaas Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 04:02 AM   #21
unicycle6869
Level 10 Rider!

Send a message via MSN to unicycle6869 Send a message via Skype™ to unicycle6869
That is awesome, both the uni and the adventure! Best of luck.
unicycle6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 04:24 AM   #22
riq
Human Being

Your Uni looks great. I few "must-see" places in Patagonia:

El camino de los 7 lagos (from Bariloche to San Martin de los Andes, west) (Great for riding!):
http://goo.gl/maps/JIUba

El Calafate, Santa Cruz, Argentina (west):
http://goo.gl/maps/XXkOH

Puerto Madryn, Chubut, Argentina (East)
http://goo.gl/maps/sS1xz
Old 2013-02-25, 02:41 PM   #23
anso
accro au mono

I arrived in Puerto Natales, after some people tried to steal my uni I think (mostly for the bags I imagine) and being chased by cows.
But I'm in a pretty good spirit. Chilean police is amazing, super super nice.
I was able to ride from 50 to 80km/h per day in the last few days since the wind was really limited.

As for the route, it's already been mostly planned because I can't really do what I want, I have to make sure I'll be able to find food (or that it is not more than 5 -7 days without food... because of the wind I can be really slowed down) and water.

My planned route is :

Ushuaia, Tolhui, Rio GRande, Porvenir, Punta Arenas, Puerto Natales (already done, with a break for a hike in Torres des Payne with my parents)

El Calafate (Perito Moreno Glacier), El Chalten (Fitz Roy), Villa O' Higgins, Carretera Austral, Cochrane, C Erro Castillo, Coihaique, Futaleufu, TRevelin,el Bolson, Bariloche, san Martin de les Andes, Junin, paso Mamul Mamal, Villarica, Teodoro Schmidt, Coast until Valparaiso (Concepcion, Constitucion, Picilemi) and finally Santiago

So yes, Riq, some of your suggestions are included.
Amazing scenery so far. I have no regrets and I know it's not going to stop!!
Old 2013-02-25, 03:52 PM   #24
MTUni
Unicyclist

Wow. My jaw has never dropped before looking at a Uni. La Monocyclette is amazing. Your trip is amazing. Enjoy the ride!
MTUni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 10:14 PM   #25
anso
accro au mono

I haven't been around here in a long time... Internet is not easy to find, or at least fast internet.

I've been having a FANTASTIC trip, and as expected not always easy. The wind since I've crossed the Lago del Desierto about 7 days ago is way less of a problem. Now I have to deal with gravel road and elevation (more than 700m up some days) at the same time. I admit, I do walk and push my unicycle for quite some parts.

Here are a few pics of the trip (some already posted on my facebook page)

Of course, when I saw this tree, I had to stop and take the pic given the drawing I had made for my website before the trip :
Name:  tierra_del_fuego (Mediana).jpg
Views: 487
Size:  82.6 KB
There was no wind at the time of the pic but only and hour later it started and was pretty bad and I almost wished i didn't spend so much time taking that pic.

Along the way, I bivouac where I can... including bus stops...
Name:  bus stop (Mediana).jpg
Views: 295
Size:  49.6 KB

I usually don't wake up super early but sometimes it's really worth it
Name:  sunrise (Mediana).jpg
Views: 305
Size:  39.4 KB

Oops, I've had a little accident, the only fall that was not on my feet so far... But not that bad in the end, it's all gone now.
Name:  little accident (Mediana).jpg
Views: 310
Size:  21.9 KB

This one is the only pic I took when it was really windy, because well, it's already pretty exhausting so taking a picture of myself, with the camera falling, me having to run to mount on the uni on time... is even more annoying with wind. I hope at least you can see it's windy.
Name:  viento (Mediana).jpg
Views: 409
Size:  65.7 KB

And finally, arriving to El Chalten was a beautiful day and it was worth waiting for the wind to calm down. I took tons of pics on my way to the town with the Fitz Roy in the background.
(but no, Benoit, Moutain Biking is not allowed in the national Park unfortunately so I would not try Muni down there)
Name:  en route fitz (Mediana).jpg
Views: 366
Size:  52.2 KB

After leaving El Chalten, it's now hard to take good pic that can compete with the last one.
I'm gonna be pretty slow for a bit, it's unpaved with often lots of gravel and pretty hilly for the next 300km on The Carretera austral and unpaved again a bit later.

Last edited by anso; 2013-04-03 at 10:15 PM.
Old 2013-04-03, 10:25 PM   #26
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

What an amazing and adventurous trip you're having.

And the resemblance between that first picture and the drawing in the header of your website is really uncanny. You even had the clouds right.
Klaas Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 12:16 AM   #27
Shmolagin
Uniquecyclist

Cool! Its nice to see an update. Hope your face doesn't have scars from that fall.
Old 2013-04-04, 01:10 AM   #28
unicycle6869
Level 10 Rider!

Send a message via MSN to unicycle6869 Send a message via Skype™ to unicycle6869
Great photos...so jealous!
unicycle6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 01:15 AM   #29
57UniRider
Talent is really an ability to work

What a great design for a long distance uni!
Neat ideas!

What an adventure!
57UniRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 08:02 AM   #30
vookash
('')( :)(..)(: )('')

Send a message via Skype™ to vookash
I hope An'So will not be angry for posting these photos here. She posted them on fb yesterday and I think the views are amazing
Attached Images

Tags
accross, argentina, chili, introducing, monocyclette, patagonia, trip