Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-03-08, 11:37 PM   #16
Thumper uni
Unicyclist

There is a new mad4one saddle with intergrated handle bar out soon looks interesting apparently very light , blanznee I have the qu-ax loopy bar which does the job and good for hanging stuff off.
Old 2018-03-09, 06:40 AM   #17
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper uni View Post
There is a new mad4one saddle with intergrated handle bar out soon looks interesting apparently very light , blanznee I have the qu-ax loopy bar which does the job and good for hanging stuff off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFy-6xw0hSI

Human gyroscope in training.

Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-09, 10:02 AM   #18
Blaznee
Unicyclist

I see what you mean Piece Maker, but I guess that I have bones larger than the saddle, so whatever I ajust my bottom on the saddle, I more in this config :
\/---\/
. /\/\
I use to ride on road bikes on stiff saddle on about 150 miles or more, and doesn't have any problem, but there s different size of saddle, unlike unicycle ones...

I'll get a look on Mad4one integrated handlebar saddle, but I'm a bit scared of the lack of adjustement with.

Last edited by Blaznee; 2018-03-09 at 10:03 AM.
Blaznee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-09, 01:43 PM   #19
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

That M4O saddle is quite cool looking as a concept! I always wondered about how feasible it would be to just remove the front bumper off a uni saddle and replace it with something about 3x the length (Probably with a stiffener plate under it). Hopefully the finished version doesn't have that horrific duct taped look to the actual saddle part though
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-09, 02:53 PM   #20
Blaznee
Unicyclist

where can we find that saddle ? I've searched a bit everywhere but found nothing similar in that brand.
Old 2018-03-09, 04:02 PM   #21
bouin-bouin
Didier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaznee View Post
where can we find that saddle ? I've searched a bit everywhere but found nothing similar in that brand.
only sold by Mad4One shop in Italy but worldwilde shipping
my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)

Last edited by bouin-bouin; 2018-03-09 at 04:03 PM.
bouin-bouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-09, 04:10 PM   #22
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
If you are referring to the Mad4One Handle Saddle BASE you can find details here: http://unaruota.com/ZC/index.php?mai...15&language=en

It is designed to be owner customized according to their own style and needs. They provide suggestions and are developing Kits for each specialty.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-11, 05:15 AM   #23
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
Have you tried riding such a saddle? It would not be pleasant to ride hands-free. If using a handlebar it would probably be ok.
A long time ago I had one on an exercise bike. It was very comfortable.

Old 2018-03-11, 05:16 AM   #24
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeratunicycledotcom View Post
The front of a unicycle saddle is there for control. You don't need this on a bike... you have 2 wheels!

As you pedal on a unicycle the unicycle turns towards the direction of the pedal you are pressing. The lump on the front of the saddle holds the unicycle in a straight line.

Once you think about this it explains several things about unicycles.
1. The wider the Q-Factor on the cranks the more it turns. This is liked by some Muni riders as they use it to offer control and grip but also explains why fast racers and freestylers go for narrow q-factors - they want to concentrate on going forward and don't want to be constantly correcting the wheel direction.
2. Muni riders who lower their saddle to help with rough conditions tilt their saddle up. This is to places the control part of the saddle at the top of their crotch that is not pounding up and down and relatively static.
3. The Zero and Fi saddles from Kris Holm are not popular with inexperienced riders as it makes the unicycle more difficult to ride with as it is narrower at the front.

Roger
Thanks!

Old 2018-03-11, 07:52 PM   #25
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Quote:
I recently bought a 29" road uni, but I have a serious problem with pressure on perineum, I can't exceed 4 miles cause of too big pain, blood stop and so...
One simple suggestion: Take a break occasionally and let some blood flow back in there. For most of us, 4 miles on the road on a 29" uni is a half an hour or so, and that's a pretty good while especially while trying to go adjust to an unfamiliar saddle. Getting off for a few seconds every 15 minutes or so might help a lot.

Short of dismounting, you can try to shift most of your weight onto the pedals now and then while riding and give your crotch a bit of a chance to recover. That might be easier if your saddle is set a few mm below the absolute maximum height.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-24, 03:40 AM   #26
Blaznee
Unicyclist

I finaly made a custom version of kh fusion saddle, but it's not flattened enough, I'm guessing about doing same with stadium saddle (enlarging the midddle hole), did someone already did it ?
Today I extended my ride at about 20 miles, crotch pain was too high to continue...
Old 2018-04-29, 02:22 AM   #27
ezas
Unicyclist

When I got my 29" and started riding longer distances the pain was, well it was painful.

I took a KH saddle, it was years ago I don't recall which one but it had two densities of foam. I took the cover off and started hacking away at it. I used a bread knife to cut the foam. There was some kind of bolt heads or something under the foam so I stopped there and that left about 3/4" of foam.

Then I built it back up with good memory foam (the stuff they use for airplane seats it goes by the name Confor foam). Here is an example of what I used:

http://wingsandwheels.com/confor-foam.html

I believed I used medium density and shaped it to a saddle shape. I flattened the nose a bit and removed some foam from where the seat hit the back of my legs.

But it was too soft especially after it warmed up a bit.

So I shaved it back slightly to flatten the top a bit and glued a thin layer of Mincell foam. It's used to make kayaks a custom fit to the paddler. This stuff: https://salamanderpaddlegear.com/pro...ell-foam-sheet

I was ready to add two layers but one layer was just right to keep me from sinking into the softer memory foam.

The result was great and exceeded my expectations for comfort.
ezas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
issues, perineum, pressure, saddle