Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-11-29, 05:12 PM   #16
waaalrus
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeEddie View Post
You mean like this? I built it but haven't been successful at riding it. I put it away for a while saving it until my freestyle skills improved and so far they haven't.
This is known as an "unbike" to BMX flatland riders (videos can be found doing a search). I tried one briefly but preferred the peg unicycle.
waaalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-30, 04:44 AM   #17
slamdance
Unicyclist

Interesting subject

Next time you are at the gym. Get on the stationary bike. Lower the seat position. Set resistance to highest level. Stand up and pedal. I can only do for 3 minutes.
slamdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-30, 05:52 AM   #18
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by waaalrus View Post
This is known as an "unbike" to BMX flatland riders (videos can be found doing a search).
Thanks for adding that. Easier to find videos with that term, as you point out.
Quote:
I tried one briefly but preferred the peg unicycle.
I had started looking at options for putting a saddle on in place of the handlebar and stem, inspired by your recommendation. That project kind of fell off the table somewhere along the way. Road unicycling, muni, and practicing basic skills gave me enough to do, I suppose.

Higher and wider handlebars, more like BMX shape, might also improve the rideability by giving more leverage. What's there now is just a sawn-off 22.2 seatpost, a placeholder while I decided what handlebars I really wanted, which I guess I still haven't done.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-30, 07:40 PM   #19
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeEddie View Post
You mean like this? I built it but haven't been successful at riding it. I put it away for a while saving it until my freestyle skills improved and so far they haven't.
Now that looks like a fun interesting challenge!

I suppose you just push it along like a scooter on the flats and uphills, then cruise where you can?

Nice clean looking setup.

Human gyroscope in training.

Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-01, 08:32 AM   #20
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite View Post
Now that looks like a fun interesting challenge!
Indeed, it is a challenge.

Quote:
I suppose you just push it along like a scooter on the flats and uphills, then cruise where you can?
I think that's the idea. The unbike videos I saw were guys doing tricks, just circling around in a small flat space. The original gag seemed to be, "I broke my frame but the fork was still OK, so look what I did with with just that."

Quote:
Nice clean looking setup.
Thanks! To be clear, it's all standard bmx parts assembled normally, nothing fabricated for it. I wanted the larger 14mm axle size and didn't expect to find that on a scrap-pile bike, so I mostly used closeout parts from eBay. It was all easy to get.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exist, handelbarster, saddle, unicycles