Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2018-07-24, 10:34 AM   #1111
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewheelhenni View Post
Now I can ride backwards 50ft on both my Qu-Ax 20 and the KH20. Somehow it doesn稚 work on my KH27.5, where I can only do 20ft. On some thread I read that it is supposedly easier to ride a bigger wheel backwards. What am I doing wrong? Or is it, again, just a practice thing?
When I致e got the 50ft backwards checkmarked on the KH27.5, I値l move on to the same task on the Hatchet.
Shouldn't your hatchet be easier to start with, assuming you have a fat tire on it. It has a bigger balance area even though you have to kick a bit harder because of the friction.
As for riding backwards, with a bigger wheel might be a bit different as a rotation covers more distance than a 20". I'd say just keep practicing.
When you started learning to ride backward, did you roll along the wall or did you ride to a wall and push backward away from it, hoping to catch yourself pedaling backwards?
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-24, 12:45 PM   #1112
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

I learned it parallel to learning how to idle, by stopping, half rev back, half rev fw, and sometimes doing 1 rev back, until I tried to ride more revs back from stopping.
Only recently I tried and succeeded mounting to backwards riding. What I never did was supported backwards riding or starting from holding on to something.
So maybe the forward momentum of the big wheel makes the start into backward riding so difficult.
I値l keep trying...
I鼠l never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)
Onewheelhenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-24, 04:56 PM   #1113
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
On some thread I read that it is supposedly easier to ride a bigger wheel backwards.
I started learning to ride backwards on my 26" muni. I made it 50 feet. I took some nice falls on my ass, as well. Then I got my first 20", and the process of learning to ride backwards accelerated.

Maybe learning to ride backwards on a large wheel is easier ... in the same way that learning to ride forward on a larger wheel is easier. You may be more likely to randomly get a few revolutions in, because the larger wheel is more stable and takes longer to fall over. I would expect the same beginner on a 20" and 29" to ride their first 20 feet forward on the 29".

For backwards riding, I still think it's easier to practice on a smaller wheel, then transfer that skill to a larger wheel. Almost all the backwards riding I do is SIF with both hands on the wheel. I can do backwards figure-eights more smoothly SIF than I can riding with my arms out for balance. My backwards riding with arms out is pretty choppy, whereas with SIF the cadence is even and the circles are more smooth. I have also been practicing riding backwards while holding the front of the seat/handles and sitting on the back of the seat. I find this more challenging than SIF backwards riding; the balance is mostly in the hips.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-25, 03:01 PM   #1114
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

https://www.instagram.com/p/BloC_u7h...=18v325dw6ua2t

Last week, "Ja Man Camp" happened in Steinach, Germany. There will be a full video in a few weeks, but I was way too excited about this gap Christian and I did to not share it. It certainly shows how riding with people on a similar level can make you push yourself.
Old 2018-07-28, 08:13 AM   #1115
Setonix
Unicyclist

I know i often post about my hopping but today i npticed a lot of progress. First i wanted to practice mounting and riding the 36" and also rode off some kerbs. I want some more training sessions before taking it to the wild again. I can usually mount with 3 tries. Anyways i also brought my 20" trials to practice hopping. This went very good and i practiced hopping towards a specific spot. Hopping forwards seemed easier than sideways. I could hop for 6 metres and then keeping balance standing still. Als practiced hopping over some planks, but i always fear i will trip. Very annoying. At least i feel more secure now than before.
Old 2018-08-02, 05:13 PM   #1116
Fezder
Unicyclist

Today I hopped first time after succesful freemount with 24". Awesome feeling!
Fezder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-07, 03:06 AM   #1117
Newt
29"er everyday

Today at Unicon, I rode my first marathon! It ended up being over 2 hours, so I have some training to get the time down, but I致e proven to myself that I can do it!
Newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-07, 05:27 AM   #1118
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt View Post
Today at Unicon, I rode my first marathon! It ended up being over 2 hours, so I have some training to get the time down, but I致e proven to myself that I can do it!
Congrats. What wheel size? 36" I reckon? Isn't 2 hours already very fast?
Old 2018-08-10, 07:01 AM   #1119
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

I知 finally starting to get the hang of riding SIF an riding backwards (not simultaneously, though).
Maybe the following trick helped: instead of counting the revolutions, I try to make a certain distance in as few tries as possible (65m around our courtyard), always restarting where I fall off.
I知 down to 9 tries going backwards and down to 17 tries SIF.
The maximum distances are 25m (backwards) and 26m (16 revs) SIF, which betters my previous record of 8 revs (from march, only 3 revs recently!) by far.

Practicing courtyard laps also forces me to do curves every 10 revs, which is challenging in itself. The 16rev-SIF actually had two curves!
I鼠l never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)
Old 2018-08-10, 07:20 AM   #1120
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
I知 finally starting to get the hang of riding SIF an riding backwards (not simultaneously, though).
Do you mount SIF or do you first ride and then wiggle the seat from in between ur legs to the front? I reckon you also put the seat down a lot for that.
Now that I have found a new (for me) deserted parking lot, I decided I want to learn some new tricks. SIF seems doable without too much effort, but we'll see.
Old 2018-08-10, 10:42 AM   #1121
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Do you mount SIF or do you first ride and then wiggle the seat from in between ur legs to the front? I reckon you also put the seat down a lot for that.
I didn稚 change the height of the seat. Instead I mount SIF.
Now I will begin training sessions where I wriggle out the seat while riding (unchanged seat height). The ultimate goal is to improve my jump height (approx. 8cm/3in) by jumping SIF, because I want to be able to jump up curbs while riding the streets.
Yesterday, by the way, I managed for the first time (3 out of 4 times) to jump up a lowered curb (5cm) sideways (seat in) and continue my ride without dismount. (KH20).
@setonix: don稚 be afraid of trying jumps up flat objects. Just visualize a successful attempt before trying and go for it.
Old 2018-08-10, 12:32 PM   #1122
aj1500
Unicyclist

yesterday I managed to pull off 5.2 miles non stop with NO dismounts
this was the first time I have gone more than about 2 miles non stop
Old 2018-08-10, 12:57 PM   #1123
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
I didn稚 change the height of the seat. Instead I mount SIF.
Now I will begin training sessions where I wriggle out the seat while riding (unchanged seat height). The ultimate goal is to improve my jump height (approx. 8cm/3in) by jumping SIF, because I want to be able to jump up curbs while riding the streets.
Yesterday, by the way, I managed for the first time (3 out of 4 times) to jump up a lowered curb (5cm) sideways (seat in) and continue my ride without dismount. (KH20).
@setonix: don稚 be afraid of trying jumps up flat objects. Just visualize a successful attempt before trying and go for it.
Last time I found some wooden planks that peeps had thrown away on the deserted parking lot where I practice, which I used to hop over with my 19" Nimbus trials uni. Also half a year or so ago when training with some other unicyclists in a gym, they verified that I jump high enough to clear a kerb. I don't need to do SIF for that. 8cm is doable without SIF. It is all in my head that I'm afraid the wheel will trip, which it probably won't.

You mean with continued riding that you do a rolling hop? or ride up to the kerb, hop, hop on the pavement and maybe hop an extra time and continue riding? Im jealous of you ^_^
Old 2018-08-11, 07:03 AM   #1124
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Last time I found some wooden planks that peeps had thrown away on the deserted parking lot where I practice, which I used to hop over with my 19" Nimbus trials uni. Also half a year or so ago when training with some other unicyclists in a gym, they verified that I jump high enough to clear a kerb. I don't need to do SIF for that. 8cm is doable without SIF. It is all in my head that I'm afraid the wheel will trip, which it probably won't.

You mean with continued riding that you do a rolling hop? or ride up to the kerb, hop, hop on the pavement and maybe hop an extra time and continue riding? Im jealous of you ^_^
I ride up to the curb, stop, do one sideways hop, and then continue riding after landing.

As you can jump high enough, there is absolutely no risk for you.
Try it several times, not riding away after hopping. The worst that can happen is your wheel hitting the side of the curb, and then all you have to do is to step off. Just prepare to step off anyways.
When you池e comfortable with that, you can ride away after hopping.

When my timing is right, I can, by the way, ride up to a 10cm curb at a right angle an get on with a rolling hop. I知 not constant with that trick, though.
Old 2018-08-11, 08:27 PM   #1125
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
I ride up to the curb, stop, do one sideways hop, and then continue riding after landing.

As you can jump high enough, there is absolutely no risk for you.
Try it several times, not riding away after hopping. The worst that can happen is your wheel hitting the side of the curb, and then all you have to do is to step off. Just prepare to step off anyways.
When you池e comfortable with that, you can ride away after hopping.

When my timing is right, I can, by the way, ride up to a 10cm curb at a right angle an get on with a rolling hop. I知 not constant with that trick, though.
Nice! You probably noticed that you prefer hopping on one side, and with one of the pedals back. I suggest you *now* practice all four variations on the hop. Don't wait until *later*, because *now* you are working with a mental model of the hop which can be transferred to the other side of your body. If you wait for *later*, muscle memory will take the place of your mental model for the hop, and this muscle memory will only help you on the side you've been practicing on.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brag, landed, thread, today, tricks, version 2