Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2005-11-30, 07:21 AM   #31
GILD
Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK

Location: the bustling metropolis of Nelspruitia, south africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewithasock
Learning to Unicycle: Day 6
I would zig-zag all over the place and fall very quickly.
Extreem Zig Zagging is normally an indication of sitting too upright on the uni and can very easily be rectified by leaning forward ever so slightly.
About a smidgen should do it.

As for your directional woes, you will find that you tend to veer in the direction of your 'strong', 'dominant' or 'chocolate' foot. This is simply because that leg is stronger and tends to pedal a little bit harder than the other leg.
This is not only natural, it's also a handy clue to unlock the wonders of turning the unicycle. Something you'll get to soon enough.
Just stick with focussing on turning the pedals over smoothly and all should be well.

No learning curve is ever smoothly and perfectly 'up'. You will hit the occasional plateau.
And get the occasional phone call.
If it's from someone called Suzanna, just don't take the call.
GILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-01, 12:35 AM   #32
dudewithasock
Gig 'em, Aggies!

Send a message via Skype™ to dudewithasock
Learning to Unicycle: Day 7

There's not much to talk about for today, since I only practiced for about 45 minutes, but I'll see what I can squeeze into the post.

I started off just doing more of what I did yesterday at area 'B', but the turning problem was still happening (as an aside, I don't know my left and right-I was actually veering to the left, not the right). Once again, I tried to look at some possibilities.

I probably adjusted the saddle post about 6 times, trying all different heights. Oddly enough, I settled with a height that was actually higher than what I had chosen yesterday. This seemed to help some, but not enough.

At this point, I decided to try a new practice area. I went around to my rear driveway and began riding little distances there. It was actually a lot easier than my other practice area, since it was sloped, and didn't require much momentum at all to get going. However, my veering problem was still evident even on this much more user-friendly surface.

I contemplated the problem yet again and realized that I was probably unconsciously leaning to the left. I had never really tried to stay aware of which way I was leaning, so I figured now was the perfect time.

I mounted up, chose an object to center my vision on, and let go of my support. I immediately started pedaling and forced my body to lean very slightly to the right, trying to counter any tendency I had to go to the left. Surprisingly, I rolled straight down the driveway.

I did this a few more times, trying to find that perfect balance, and I was mostly unsuccessful. At one point, I accidently swerved so far to the left that I was riding a 45 degree angle and spinning out. I'm glad I jumped out of that one or that would've hurt a bit. =P

Couple tips from today:
1. First off, disregard my second tip from Day 6. I have discovered that it actually doesn't help much. :P
2. Be very cautious of any leaning you may be doing while riding. The slightest bit of weight that is off balance will most likely mess you up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazdude222
Doing good doesn't make you good any more than doing a girl makes you a girl.
dudewithasock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-02, 12:03 AM   #33
dudewithasock
Gig 'em, Aggies!

Learning to Unicycle: Day 8

This was a very exciting, albeit short, practice day.

I did my routine exercises at area 'B', working on my veering problem for a while. I slowly began to get that fixed, and I can tell that it shouldn't be a problem at all by mid-next week.

Aside from my leaning left-right problem, I also worked on my leaning forward-backward problem. As Gild suggested, I tried not sitting up as straight as I thought was necessary, and leaning forward just a tiny bit. I was very excited to see that this helped me a huge deal; I made it 20-25 feet several times today. I might've advanced even further, but I had only made this breakthrough with about 15 minutes left before it would become dark. I'll be sure to work on this a lot tomorrow, because it seemed to unlock a lot of barriers that had been keeping me from progressing much.

A tip from today:
1. Stay conscious of everything you are doing. Since we're all humans, it can be very easy to get sidetracked from the task at hand. While it's impossible to keep your mind on unicycling every single second of your practice sessions, I recommend choosing a place to practice that is relatively quiet, calm, and perhaps a bit boring.

Quote:

Last edited by dudewithasock; 2005-12-02 at 12:03 AM.
Old 2005-12-02, 06:54 AM   #34
maestro8
is what it is

Quote:
I made it 20-25 feet several times today.
In 8 days you have made miles of progress. Hats off to you, sockarooni!

I'll second GILD's observation that plateaus occur during training. If and when it comes, just go back through your journal (great idea BTW) and see how far you've made it.

Keep on truckin, socko!
Old 2005-12-02, 02:29 PM   #35
yoopers
Unicyclist

Send a message via Yahoo to yoopers

I'm sorry but we have to talk. Your swimming pool doesn't quite meet code and those steps to the deck really need to be addressed. Have we talked lot coverage or property line encroachment yet? When can we meet. I'll be bringing my citation pad...
()_) ()_)----)_)

Munipsycho on the art of raising children: "My job is not to keep them from falling. It's to teach them to always get back up."

Always give lots of credit and take very little. Seems to make everyone happier. Conversely, take as much responsibility for mistakes as one can assume! - Dr. Bobo

unicycledude93: Steve Dekeokeok
unicycledude93: Yoopers
Byrnetown: haha, those are old guys

Last edited by yoopers; 2005-12-02 at 02:30 PM.
yoopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-02, 11:10 PM   #36
dudewithasock
Gig 'em, Aggies!

Learning to Unicycle: Day 9

Extremely short practice day today.

I got out there and did my usual at area 'B', heightening the post at one point just because I'm still working on finding that "sweet spot" with the post height. I noticed that I wasn't really putting much heart into today's practice, and after I got my foot stuck in the pedals and rammed the seat into my crotch, I decided I just wasn't in the mood today. I probably need a little break so I don't get too burned out, anyway.

One tip from today:
1. As is evident from my post, if you're not really into unicycling that day, then don't force yourself. The entire point of riding is to enjoy yourself, after all.

Quote:
Old 2005-12-03, 12:21 AM   #37
Tim Morin
Lone Rider

Congrats on your 20+ foot rides man. It's very exciting when it starts to feel more natural. Keep on keepin on.
Tim Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-03, 12:33 AM   #38
uni-steve5111
uni newbie

Send a message via AIM to uni-steve5111
my tip: Just git on that one wheeler and give'r, and of course try not to fall
uni-steve5111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-06, 11:53 PM   #39
dudewithasock
Gig 'em, Aggies!

Learning to Unicycle: Day 10

Yay, 10 days have past since I've started practicing. Sounds like a good milestone.

So, for starters, I took a 3 day break from the uni, and I think it really helped. I lost any frustration I might have gathered from last week, and as I walked outside today with the cool wind blowing over me, I started to get a rush because I simply missed practicing.

Not a whole lot to write about, just an average hour-long practice at area 'B'. I did progress a good deal distance-wise, making 15-foot runs at a very high frequency that pleased me. I also did many more 20-25 foot rides, and I think my highest was 32 or 33 feet before falling. I'm slowly feeling the balance become more second-nature, and I'm becoming a lot more adept at finding the sweet-spot regarding the angle of forward leaning.

I eventually went inside because I was hungry.

Tip from today:
1. Take a little break from the unicycle every once and a while. It'll help you clear your head of frustrations and get you energized for that first step back on.

Quote:
Old 2005-12-07, 02:09 AM   #40
Fuego
Vox Populi, Vox Dei

Send a message via AIM to Fuego Send a message via MSN to Fuego
I'd say that once you get like 50 feet you more or less have it, at least that's how it was for me. once you get 50 feet it isn't a fluke anymore, and it's actually skill.
Being back is good.
Fuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-07, 02:12 AM   #41
Unitik908
The Lone Clothespin....

Send a message via AIM to Unitik908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuego
I'd say that once you get like 50 feet you more or less have it, at least that's how it was for me. once you get 50 feet it isn't a fluke anymore, and it's actually skill.
exactly how i was..one nice 50-100 ride.. everything falls into place

Chase
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P James Doohan
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Peter Jennings
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

Last edited by THE dave and Sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 PM
Unitik908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-07, 02:14 PM   #42
GILD
Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK

Location: the bustling metropolis of Nelspruitia, south africa
Quote:
I also did many more 20-25 foot rides, and I think my highest was 32 or 33 feet before falling.
You'll find that applying the one basic everyone bleats about WEIGHT ON THE SEAT becomes even more important now. A majority of your UPDs are currently (most probably) caused by transferring your weight to your feet as your body attempts just one more correction in your dynamic balance. This causes the foot in question to 'lock' in the Bottom Dead Center position and your ride to come to an end.
Focus on weight on the seat and rolling the pedals over smoothly and the 100 foot mark will be far behind you.
GILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-07, 10:03 PM   #43
dudewithasock
Gig 'em, Aggies!

Quick mini-update:

I won't have a day 11 up for several days because today it's actually starting to get really cold and sleeting and freezing rain and all that junk, and I'm not really confident enough in my skill yet to practice in that stuff.

Plus, I'm a warm-blooded Texan who can't take anything below 30 degrees.

Quote:
Old 2005-12-07, 10:45 PM   #44
cathwood
Life's a beach

Now once you get the hang of it, you'll find it the most warming thing that you can do. I was a little chilly the other day and said to my hubby "I'm just going outside to warm up".

Cathy
Old 2005-12-08, 12:09 AM   #45
Tim Morin
Lone Rider

So I guess you are now a unicyclist, or as my neighbours keep calling me "some crazy nut on one wheel". Have a blast man.
Tim Morin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journal, unicycler, wurst