Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2010-05-04, 07:08 PM   #1
underdog
Most of the level 3 stuff now

Unhappy First day commuting or why I suck at this

Well, this is frustrating. I've decided I'm going to try to commute to work every day for the month of May on my 29er. I've been riding, with varying levels of dedication, for about 5 years but never really any distance. Usually just around the neighborhood. My commute is only 3 miles one way and relatively flat with a really good, paved bike path for 90% of the way, the other 10% is on the streets. My goal is to end up the month being a smoother, more relaxed and more confident rider. We'll see. This morning pretty well sucked as it took me a little over half an hour to ride it and I was drenched with sweat and my legs felt like I'd just done a half century on my bicycle. I try to focus on being smooth and not flailing my arms but I find I'm constantly fighting myself and using many times more energy than I should. I figure if I'm not pitching my uni into the dumpster by the end of the week I'll be on my way but right now that seems to be in question. I'll try to maintain focus on my goal and maybe report back every week or so. Wish me luck.
Old 2010-05-04, 07:41 PM   #2
unirox13
Unicycling Ninja!

Send a message via AIM to unirox13
my advice, don't focus on not flailing your arms and trying to ride smooth, just focus on riding, and getting to the destination in one piece. the more you ride the less you'll flail your arms, wobble, etc. distance riding to me was almost like re-learning how to ride. since the wheel is so much larger it take a while to get used to riding it over any substantial distance. you'll become a smoother rider, ad an overall better rider with time. focusing on little things like not flailing your arms are only going to make you work harder IMO.

best of luck, i wish i lived close enough to work to commute on my 36er
Old 2010-05-04, 07:44 PM   #3
scott ttocs
Unicyclist

If you keep it up you will improve very quickly. Just try to relax in your riding and it will get much easier.

Give us an update in a week.

Scott
scott ttocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 08:03 PM   #4
jtrops
Unicyclist

Good luck!

I remember my first week of commuting, and it was quite different at the end of the week. Keep it up and I'm sure it will come before you know it.

What length cranks are you using? I only ask because switching to shorter cranks helped me a lot on my commute. That being said I never ran anything shorter than 125's on my 29'er. I probably could have dropped to 110's but sold it before I had the mind to switch cranks again.
Old 2010-05-04, 08:10 PM   #5
bungeejoe
Joe Myers

Try to have fun!

Think of your commute as more fun than any one else. Make it fun or you will not likely stick to it.

Third or fourth day in a row might be the hardest. I've done over 1000 commute trips. You CAN do it!

bungeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 08:11 PM   #6
bungeejoe
Joe Myers

Try to have fun!

Think of your commute as more fun than any one else. Make it fun or you will not likely stick to it.

Third or fourth day in a row might be the hardest. I've done over 1000 unicycle commute trips. You CAN do it!

bungeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 09:33 PM   #7
mbalmer
Is it June yet?

Oh the flailing of the arms. Don't let that stop you. I remember thinking I had that all under control. Then, my husband recorded me riding and my arms were flailing like crazy. Later it lessened. Now it's mostly when I'm off road. Someone gave the advice that you should practice riding with your arms behind your back. I could do it for a few moments but not all the way down a street. Now a year later I can ride all over the place with my hands behind my back. The more you ride the better. Just keep going with your goal. If you miss a day, don't give up. I can't help you with the sweaty problem. When I get to work, I change my clothes.
mbalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 09:38 PM   #8
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog View Post
I try to focus on being smooth and not flailing my arms but I find I'm constantly fighting myself and using many times more energy than I should.
One thing to try is to think about keeping a very light touch on the pedals; that might help with your smoothness. Distance uni riding (on an ungeared uni) is all about minimizing effort.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 10:34 PM   #9
UekiTylor
Juggling Ninja

Hey! That was my goal this month too! Yesterday I managed to idle once and ride away when I had to dismount to cross the busy intersection, and again after walking up the steepest hill (that I still can't make it up on my 20", but I've made it within 3' of the whole way on my 29")... so my strength/endurance is obviously improving.

Then I woke up and saw the Chinook winds nearly blowing the trees over in my front yard So I decided to compromise: I have my 29" in my trunk and I'm going to ride it home now that it is only gusty, not so windy I can barely walk without falling over.

So my new goal is to ride at least one direction every day... which is only half giving up!

Anyway, good luck!
UekiTylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 11:31 PM   #10
jtrops
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UekiTylor View Post
Hey! That was my goal this month too! Yesterday I managed to idle once and ride away when I had to dismount to cross the busy intersection, and again after walking up the steepest hill (that I still can't make it up on my 20", but I've made it within 3' of the whole way on my 29")... so my strength/endurance is obviously improving.

Then I woke up and saw the Chinook winds nearly blowing the trees over in my front yard So I decided to compromise: I have my 29" in my trunk and I'm going to ride it home now that it is only gusty, not so windy I can barely walk without falling over.

So my new goal is to ride at least one direction every day... which is only half giving up!

Anyway, good luck!
The wind stopped me from riding today too. Man it's still blowing here.
Old 2010-05-04, 11:58 PM   #11
legtod2
Unicyclist

Don't give up underdog !!!

Suggestions.
1) Have change of clothes at work or carry them to work in pack pack. I also carried my lunch in backpack.
2) Have safe place to store your unicycle at work (I used to keep mine in cubicle)
3) Take a cool down period outside office.
4) Enjoy the ride (mine averages 45 - 55min each way).

I am commuting on my 29 because of road/bridge construction.
This summer will be a mess so my options are walk, bus, bicycle, unicycle.

Good luck...
Old 2010-05-05, 12:42 AM   #12
Tom M
Crash-ologist

Send a message via AIM to Tom M Send a message via MSN to Tom M Send a message via Yahoo to Tom M
I live 24.8 miles from my job.. I have ridden the 29'r 10 miles at a shot already. So now to save up and buy a 36 OR get a job closer to home! LOL
Old 2010-05-05, 01:17 AM   #13
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Don't think so much and relax. The smoothness will come, fighting the wobble and arm swinging now will only tire you out.

Good luck with your goal!
Old 2010-05-05, 01:24 AM   #14
ally1776
UniMudder

Send a message via Yahoo to ally1776
I commend you on your goal of commuting for the month. I would love to do that but I live pretty far from work. From my own experience the more I think (actually over think) while riding the more I tend to over flail my arms and as you say suck. Once I relax a bit and decide to just go for it, that's when I ride like I want. Just think by the end of the month you will be amazing and probably have some good stories. Good luck, relax and go for it!

Last edited by ally1776; 2010-05-05 at 01:24 AM.
ally1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-05, 01:51 AM   #15
1wheelwill
Unicyclist

Uni Commute

What a great goal. I set a similar goal in January to ride for all my errands within 3 miles from home (assuming I don't have to carry too much). What's great is that the first time I rode to the store, about 1 mile away, I was about dead. Now the same ride can be done in a fraction of the time. Every day I manage to ride to the post office and back during lunch. I've found that some of the shorter commutes (1-2 miles) I can do almost as fast as in the car and it's a ton more fun.

Every day I see many of the same people out on my local bike path. They've become my bike path friends. I don't know who they are, but we all seem genuinely happy to smile and say hello each day as we pass each other at the same time and spot on the path. Its fun.

As for the sweating...I can get drenched, so I have started taking an extra shirt if I need to look presentable after a ride. I've also noticed that if I slow my pace down a little bit and just sort of "saunter" along, I don't work as hard and don't get as overheated. It doesn't take much more time than when I really peddle fast, but I don't get as overheated.

Keep it up, I bet you'll get hooked on it!
1wheelwill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
commuting, day, suck