Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 129 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 2017-11-18, 05:31 PM   #28891
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Bringing up Riel's Kokum is also a great way to find our that you are really long lost cousins. It seems that most of the M騁is and a large number of the rest of the general population in the west claim some sort of ancestral connection.

Riel is a fascinating character in Canadian history, depending on where you get your information he was either a visionary leader or a dangerous lunatic. He lead the successful Red River Rebellion resulting in the creation of Manitoba, and recognition of the M騁is people, as well as the largely unsuccessful North-West Rebellion which resulted in his execution and a long standing animosity between the Prairie Provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba) and Central Canada (Ontario, Quebec). I think it's kind of crazy how people get hung up on historical wrongs to justify modern selfishness and regional isolationism. But now I'm straying into politics and there are other places to discuss that stuff.

Hope you are all doing well. It's now fully winter here, the lake is frozen, people are out snowmobiling and it's dark out both on my way to and from work. Other than the lack of sunlight I love it, but that won't stop me from heading to New Zealand for SINZ II

Last edited by saskatchewanian; 2017-11-18 at 05:32 PM.
saskatchewanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-19, 04:27 AM   #28892
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post

Riel is a fascinating character in Canadian history, depending on where you get your information he was either a visionary leader or a dangerous lunatic.
Why is it that one cannot be both?

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-19, 07:11 PM   #28893
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Quote:
Originally Posted by harper View Post
Why is it that one cannot be both?
You are truly wise beyond your years.
Old 2017-11-19, 09:58 PM   #28894
Into the blue
Groovy!

Send a message via AIM to Into the blue Send a message via MSN to Into the blue
Quote:
You are truly wise beyond your years.
Harper is also wise beyond his ears.
Get splined an a KH saet or ur a pansy.
Get trials cuz thaz whut i du n u mus wannaa whut i du 2.
lol...awwsum.
Into the blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-26, 11:55 PM   #28895
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

It's Grey Cup time

The Riders crossed over this year and didn't make it past the Eastern Final. It's Toronto VS Calgary in Ottawa this year. The snow is flying and it's looking like it might be an interesting game.

Both teams defence are looking pretty good on the first couple drives going each way.

Here is a Youtube clip that is nearly live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjfpvw37hCc

Enjoy some Canadian Football.
Old 2017-11-27, 12:17 AM   #28896
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

I wasn't going to add comments on the game this year but anyone not watching just missed a 100 yard passing play for a Major.

Missed the conversion, Game is tied 6 - 6
Old 2017-11-27, 01:20 AM   #28897
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

So Shania Twain dog sleds into the half time show? I wonder when they planned that? More than enough snow on the field to pull it off.

Anyway unless Toronto gets their running game going this is going to be a one sided contest. Calgary really tightened up after the first few drives.
Old 2017-11-27, 05:11 AM   #28898
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

I was hoping to watch the second half of the game on the flight to New Zealand, but was denied at boarding time. Apparently when you overstay a visa on your previous trip you need to apply for a visitor visa rather than travel on an automatic visa waver (as a Canadian).

I'm stuck in the Vancouver airport for the night, then Air New Zealand is going to get me back to Saskatoon on a Air Canada flight. It was an expensive trip to the Vancouver Airport.

Anyway back to the Grey Cup. An interesting turn of events, I bet you Ricky Ray is going to follow in Henry Burris's footsteps and retire a champion. Again Bo has lots of years left to get that second championship ring.

Scorring highlights:
https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/26/105gc-...27-calgary-24/
Old 2017-11-27, 11:18 PM   #28899
Jener8or
Unicyclist

Saskatchewanian, I honestly expected a rugby match when I clicked on the link; who knew there was Canadian football?! I really wish the NFL didn't practically blackout all televised rugby matches here in the U.S....

Here's a link to the Shania Twain halftime show if anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=EBM5BsKKswk
Quote:
I was hoping to watch the second half of the game on the flight to New Zealand, but was denied at boarding time. Apparently when you overstay a visa on your previous trip you need to apply for a visitor visa rather than travel on an automatic visa waver (as a Canadian).
Don't you watch "Border Security: Canada's Front Line" on Netflix? Ha, I actually wasn't aware of the policy, but get a kick out of watching those shows (there's an Australian and U.S. version as well.) Bummer about your flight, but I hope you make it to NZ before their next winter, (if you're planning a re-try)!
Jener8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-29, 04:16 AM   #28900
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jener8or View Post
Saskatchewanian, I honestly expected a rugby match when I clicked on the link; who knew there was Canadian football?! I really wish the NFL didn't practically blackout all televised rugby matches here in the U.S....
Canadian Football was "Americanized" in the 30s, but is still different from the Amarican game. Probably the biggest differences are the size of the field, the number of players, having 3 downs, Defense giving a yard from the line of scrimmage, different scoring, and generally slightly different rules.

It's much more open play with more "rugby moves" sprinkled in. I find it much more exciting and unpredictable than NFL, but recognize the skill level in the American game is higher simply due to the pay differential.
Old 2017-12-02, 07:59 PM   #28901
Jener8or
Unicyclist

Quote:
Canadian Football was "Americanized" in the 30s, but is still different from the Amarican game.[...]
I'm sure I learned at one point (I actually had a P.E. class that tested on sports history) and I'm not surprised that we didn't actually invent it, but it is good trivia knowledge! I played rugby in college and really wish I got to play that sooner. Of course even after the years of playing flag or touch football, the small-town mentality I grew up in wasn't at all supportive of me playing on the tackle football team, so I played soccer and ice hockey. I enjoy going to one or two of the college fb games here, though.

Do you play or watch hockey? Not to be total stereo-typical of Canadians or anything. We've got a pretty good beer league going here, but it's 4x4 except like Squirts or lower or something. We have a feed league pretty close, the Spokane Chiefs, so that is lucky.
Jener8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-02, 09:51 PM   #28902
Into the blue
Groovy!

Wales beat South Africa 24-22.
Haven't had a chance to view the highlights yet, was in work at the time.
Suffice to say there was no naked streaking.
lol...awwsum.
Old 2017-12-03, 08:51 PM   #28903
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Found the highlights.

https://youtu.be/Kij6BC4r7o0

Looks like your boys did damn well in the first half. South Africa woke up for the first part of the second half before things ground to a halt.

I wish that Rugby were more popular around here but Gridiron Football mostly fills that sporting niche in North America. I've always kind of wanted to play it.
Old 2017-12-04, 12:04 AM   #28904
Into the blue
Groovy!

Fair play, he picked up that ball for the second try from his bootlaces.
lol...awwsum.
Old 2017-12-05, 01:06 AM   #28905
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Pro tip: When building something outside in -20˚ don't try to hold deck screws with your mouth.

Tags
768, angrybirdsucksrealhard, blue blue, bluesopopular, gilby must delete this, gilby please delete this, gilby will delete this, i want blue inside me, i'm drunker than blue, intotheblue.is.sexy, intothebluemyhero, it wuz t*rry, itemno530, ivanmegadestroyer, most replys, noloitering!!!, reply, replys, return, spamtagsftw, stillpagedance, terry is the mind killer, terry.is.evil, terryreallydidkillmr, thevirginmaryisinblue!