Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-07-17, 04:55 PM   #16
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIb View Post
You've clearly considered the countless repetitions strain on your knee.
Have you considered the bad/unlucky UPD strain of your knee?
Just mentioning it to help inform your decision.

John
I think falling is over-rated. I just don't do it...it's a waste of time and energy. The compression from such an activity would be detrimental.

Today: quad stretches, rode 1.3 miles to the library to drop a book off, quad stretches, rode 1.3 miles home, quad stretches, applied heat, then iced. Then I'll walk 1.4 miles to massage and 1.4 miles home. Life as a retiree is tough.

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-17, 09:40 PM   #17
monocyclism
Unicyclist

Hey! Stop whining or don’t. We have all got the fracas of ‘age-related syndrome especially at 60 plus

I have become accustomed to not being taken seriously as a competitive rider ‘cos my next stop is 70. Maybe circumstances make you a none-competitive rider?

I don’t compete against anyone except myself….unless I can see the last rider in front of me… then I have to be in front of him.

Sure you are recovering….best of luck….but whatever happens….happens. My best shot is to get into macrobiotics with a spot of engine oil and buy a multigym.
Old 2017-07-18, 04:35 PM   #18
newob
Unicyclist

Nice work on your recovery, Harper, but I've been told several times
that I was the superhero of rehab!
newob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-23, 06:16 PM   #19
Mikefule
Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harper View Post
Thank you. You are a wise man, Mike, and always the distributor of sincere and good advice. I, however, frequently ignore advice, either good or bad. I did listen to the advice of the PT, though. She said that the pain I experienced was typical from working those muscles too soon and too much and did not damage the joint. She recommended that I dial back the distance and level out the course.

I rode a bit more than a mile today and chose a route with only mild ascents and descents. I nailed 5 out of 5 freemounts which was really the goal of this ride. I was pleased with that because I launch off the leg with the new knee and had no trouble with it at all.

I followed the ride with quad stretches using a pull strap. Then I iced. If this goes OK I will probably make this relatively incline-free riding a daily regime and work up from there. After all, I'm trying to prepare for a ride that is entirely on a 2% downhill grade.
All the best.

Tags
knee, replacement, riding