Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2014-01-28, 07:44 AM   #16
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Before I got the D'brake I used the UCM without a spacer, it was like that for at least half a year and I had no issues. These adaptors really should have a firm surface to push on though.

EDIT: I just clicked on your links, nice job. I especially liked the adaptor, did you make it yourself?

It looks much more elegant than just a flat chunk of steel with a hole in it (what I would have done)

Last edited by saskatchewanian; 2014-01-28 at 07:52 AM.
saskatchewanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 08:02 AM   #17
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
... I especially liked the adaptor, did you make it yourself?
Yes, I designed it myself after measuring the bearing housing and the d'Brake and hat it produced by a friend. The major purpose was to guide the sheetmetal bearing housing of the frame to prevent it from bending when tightening the screw. It fits the sheetmetal bearing housing of the QU-AX, if other unis have the same, then it fits them too. I can provide CAD data or manufacturing drawing if needed.
28.05.2017: Europamarathon Görlitz
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-08, 03:26 PM   #18
gdrambler
Unicyclist

I have a 24" Impact frame with a 24" KH wheel set. Have yet to put anything together. Desire to have internal disc brake. Any idea's if d-brake will work? I know the KH disc brakes are mounted externally, why? If d-brake would work, what would be best brake?

Thanx
gdrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-09, 03:37 AM   #19
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

If you want a internal disk you would need to get a new hub and completely rebuild your wheel, as well as a disk break adaptor and break. If you decide to go external you just need some new cranks with the brake and adaptor, and as a bonus you get strong light dual hole cranks.
Old 2014-11-16, 01:57 AM   #20
Rod
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
Yes, I designed it myself after measuring the bearing housing and the d'Brake and hat it produced by a friend. ... I can provide CAD data or manufacturing drawing if needed.
Very nice. What type of shop could produce it? What type of material would be suitable? I would like to have the information to have one made. Could you pm the info?

Thanks!
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-16, 11:18 AM   #21
Eric aus Chemnitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
Very nice. What type of shop could produce it? What type of material would be suitable? I would like to have the information to have one made. Could you pm the info?

Thanks!
I had it produced via SLM (Selective Laser Melting ... 3D printing with metal) out of steel (don't know which alloy). I think any sort of normal steel would just be fine (e.g. S235JR) or even aluminium. I must only take compressive forces, not more. It can be produced by any manufacturer that has a small cnc milling machine out of 6mm flat steel.

I PM you the CAD data and drawing. I did this construction for a Qu-Ax steel frame. I'm not 100% sure if it fits any other steel frame. Just plot the drawing 1:1 on paper and check if the groove will fit your frame.
Old 2014-11-17, 02:33 PM   #22
Eric aus Chemnitz

Please post a photo when you have it produced.
Old 2016-01-06, 02:20 PM   #23
Eric aus Chemnitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
Eric aus Chemnitz brings up a good point. The MU UCM has a flat top compared to the D'brake's staggered surfaces. Where the D'brake is tightened on the side with the arm first then snugged up on the other side the UCM would be installed like a normal bearing holder.
[...] I now use a washer under the arm side of the UCM to transfer the force to the frame like the D'brake does and both need to be shimmed out to work with the KH cranks as the Spirit cranks place the disk a bit further from the frame than bike cranks with a MU disk would.
Quote:
I did not know, that the UCM does not provide this staggered shape. So thats plus for the d'Brake. It'll make no sense to tighten the bearing holder with a defined torque for not deforming and so damaging the bearing and on the other side let the whole brake force go radial right into the bearing just to deform it to egg shape.

I wonder if riders with the UCM therefore do have damaged bearings a bit more often. Did anyone have issues with that?
So here it is: we now have the first broken frame caused by the UCM Caliper:
http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthr...19#post1662619
Old 2016-08-29, 01:23 PM   #24
Eric aus Chemnitz

I think this belongs to this thread but was not mentioned here yet:
To avoid broken d'Brakes, Hugo from the german part of the forum designed a strut to support it. We call it "Hugo Strut". Many riders have installed one to their d'Brake yet. It also helps against vibration noise
This is how it looks like:

Old 2016-09-04, 09:40 PM   #25
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

Quote:
I think this belongs to this thread but was not mentioned here yet:
To avoid broken d'Brakes, Hugo from the german part of the forum designed a strut to support it. We call it "Hugo Strut". Many riders have installed one to their d'Brake yet. It also helps against vibration noise
I'd like to figure out something like that for my Oracle frame, which doesn't have the magura mount to use as an attachment point for the strut. The stock brake worked fine, but I had to replace it after a crash, and I've had a terrible time trying to make the new brake stop shuddering.

I've tried things like cleaning, sanding, replacing pads, replacing rotor, no help. I finally stopped it by forcing a little bit of toe-in on the pads, but I don't like the solution, so I'd love to find something better. Has anybody tried something similar to this, but just clamping it to the frame leg somehow?
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-04, 10:11 PM   #26
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImpossible View Post
Has anybody tried something similar to this, but just clamping it to the frame leg somehow?
Yes. A strip of flat steel, a m6 bolt and nut, and some aluminum tube (I believe I used 9mm diameter) will do the trick nicely.

Bend the steel around the frame leg, drill 2 holes through it. Hammer one side of the tube, drill a hole large enough for the bolt on the brake mount to pass through. Shorten to desired length drill another hole through the tube for the frame clamps screw to go through. I used a different pickup on the D brake than the one Eric posted (the one where the post mount adapter is bolted to the bearing holder) I can dig out pictures if you want.

It really helps a lot, much less vibration under braking now.
Old 2016-09-05, 06:06 AM   #27
Eric aus Chemnitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImpossible View Post
Has anybody tried something similar to this, but just clamping it to the frame leg somehow?
Yes, Charly did:
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=57

Last edited by Eric aus Chemnitz; 2016-09-05 at 06:09 AM.
Old 2016-09-05, 01:21 PM   #28
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

Thanks for the replies - I'll give it a try.
Old 2016-09-06, 09:32 AM   #29
Eric aus Chemnitz

and this is, how the solution looks like on an Oregon:
http://unicyclist.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=28
Old 2016-09-15, 11:08 PM   #30
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

Here's my first pass at a fix, just using things I had lying around; I haven't had a chance to really try it out yet.
Attached Images

Tags
brake, dbrake, mountain, mounts, nimbus, ucm, uni