Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-06-29, 09:38 PM   #16
newob
Unicyclist

On 29 and 36, the starfighter works well for me.

Budg version for 26 muni: a $2 test tube stopper (with small hole). I sliced off one side at the correct angle, so that I would have a broad, flat surface for my fingers. I was going to gorilla-glue it in place, but this proved to be unnecessary as it has never moved/twisted.
newob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-04, 07:07 PM   #17
pstrick
Unicyclist

Reviving this thread here as I just got an 26" Hatchet and my Starfighter doesn't fit on the brake lever. Anyone else experience this? Might look into shortening regular MTB brake extension. I do find my finger sliding off the lever on technical descents, which adds to the challenge!
Old 2016-09-04, 07:41 PM   #18
OorWullie
Unicyclist

I used polymorph plastic to make a spooner type extension for my lever. It comes as little crystals which you put in hot water til they turn clear, then you can take them out and mould them to whatever shape suits you. It even came with colouring sachets so I could match it to my uni!

It's not that expensive, look it up on Amazon. And even with a 500g bag you'll have loads left to play with and mould into other stuff!
OorWullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-05, 12:29 PM   #19
pstrick
Unicyclist

Thanks- I'm going to try this moldable plastic option
Old 2016-09-20, 09:55 PM   #20
pstrick
Unicyclist

Thanks for the suggestion Oorwullie! This moldable plastic stuff is awesome- so easy to use and you can shape it whatever way you want. It is very sturdy and has already held up for a number of rides. Plus if it breaks off I've probably got enough to make 15 replacements, all for under $20. I could have made it one of the colors that it came with but I didn't bother, but for those who want different colors it is easily done. Great solution!
Attached Images

Old 2016-09-21, 02:31 AM   #21
Universe
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrick View Post
Reviving this thread here as I just got an 26" Hatchet and my Starfighter doesn't fit on the brake lever. Anyone else experience this? Might look into shortening regular MTB brake extension. I do find my finger sliding off the lever on technical descents, which adds to the challenge!
I bought a Starfighter for my Hatchet. It fits no problem. Wonder if the brake handles were changed. The Starfighter does make it a lot easier to handle the brake.
Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-21, 04:36 PM   #22
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

Well, I did post a review of my Starfighter recently, but it seems to have disappeared (or I posted it in the wrong thread), so here it is again:

In short, it works very well and I give it two thumbs up. I've been using it for months now, and it is very durable, functional, and safe.

I works so well, even with gloves on, that I take it completely for granted. It's very easy to modulate the pressure on my Maggies, even off road on rough terrain. It's a huge improvement over not having an extension.

I've had some pretty rough UPDs that spun the break lever a bit on the brake lever mount, and there was zero damage to the extension.

It's super easy to install, and I've mounted it flush with the end of my brake lever, so the brake lever is even safer with it than without it. While it is very easy to grab onto, there are no sharp surfaces that could easily cut or scrape me during a crazy UPD.

Overall, it was completely worth it.
Old 2016-09-23, 03:52 PM   #23
chainreactionphysics
Unicyclist

+1 for the moldable plastic stuff. Works amazingly. My effort is a bit overkill at the moment but will be refined.
chainreactionphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 11:08 PM   #24
pstrick
Unicyclist

Have used the starfighter on four previous setups and was always happy with it. However- having now experienced the moldable plastic, I won't be going back. The stuff is so easy and versatile!
Old 2016-09-24, 08:59 AM   #25
chainreactionphysics
Unicyclist

https://goo.gl/photos/8ponFe48MBRHS3RM9

Images of my effort - be warned the stuff is really strong and hard to change once you have formed the shape!

I had to trim it a bit with a sharp knife - get parental supervision...

It will let me brake with middle finger from a range of hand hold positions.

Stewart

Last edited by chainreactionphysics; 2016-09-24 at 09:02 AM. Reason: images not showing.
chainreactionphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-24, 03:06 PM   #26
pstrick
Unicyclist

I think if you reheat it you can remold it. Just can be hard to reheat while on your brake lever already though
Old 2016-09-24, 05:44 PM   #27
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

I thought about the polymorph, but I decided on the Starfighter for a few reasons.

First, we're not talking about any real money. I also don't like to look of hand molded polymorph stuff (I'm surprised how vain I was about this), and going to the trouble and expense of making it look nice (dyes, molds, trimming, etc) didn't make sense for me. On all the websites I found, shipping on small quantities cost more than the polymorph itself, so cost savings seemed negligible. It's also VERY hot here (100 degrees F two days before fall), and temps in hot cars here are insane, and even metal just left outside in direct sunlight can burn your hands. I didn't want to deal with it deforming or melting on me.

Maybe if I had more experience with polymorph and already had some on hand, I would have used it, but not having any on hand and not having experience with it, and given that I was about 99% sure that the Starfighter would be great, it just seemed like the best choice for me.
Old 2016-09-24, 10:17 PM   #28
OorWullie
Unicyclist

Polymorph is remouldable, you just put it back in the hot water. I really like it, but have no experience of really warm weather. The record here is about 28 centigrade (not sure what that is in faranheight!) but that's exceptional. 18-20c is more normal, so melting is unlikely to be an issue!
OorWullie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, extension, lever