Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-06-28, 04:01 PM   #1
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

Brake lever extension

I searched for previous threads on this, but I didn't see any recent ones. Sorry if this is a duplicate.

I'm looking for an extension for the brake lever mounted under the saddle on my muni (see pic below). I don't have anything fancy (just the handle that came with the Nimbus Gel), and I'm pretty sure there would be no interference with an extension.

It seems like my main two choices are the KH Starfighter or the Spooner, and they both seem fine. Price difference is negligible. I'm leaning towards the Spooner because the edges don't look as sharp as the Starfighter. Thoughts? Alternatives I should consider? Anyone got an extra they'd l like to get rid of?
Attached Images

Old 2016-06-28, 04:15 PM   #2
UnderTheLake
I like pavement.

The starfighter has treated me well for a few years on my 36" road machine. I don't even think about it. It never comes loose or makes trouble. I've never tried the spooner.

Happy braking.
UnderTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-28, 06:46 PM   #3
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

I haven't used either one but they do the same thing.

The main difference is that the spooner was specifically designed for the Magura brake lever, while the Starfighter is meant to be a universal fit piece.
Old 2016-06-28, 06:47 PM   #4
pierrox
Unicyclist

I bought a Spooner for my new HS33. It doesn't fit, it was probably designed for the previous version of the HS33 lever (circa 2012?).
On my muni, I installed a Starfighter on the disc brake lever. Happy about that one.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-28, 07:44 PM   #5
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

Thanks UnderTheLake, Eric, and pierrox. Good info. I had read that the Spooner was for the Magura brake lever, which I have, but I'm not sure exactly which model I have. I bought the Maggys used (thanks for the heads up on that one Eric), but I think they're the older ones. On the photos on the UK unicycle dot com website, regarding the Spooner, my lever looks like the black one they show, but I'm not sure 100% sure.

I think I'm just going to go ahead and get the Starfighter. I haven't heard anything bad about it (quite the opposite), there is a question of whether or not the Spooner would fit, and while it would be a few dollars cheaper from the UK unicycle dot com site (thanks to Brexit, the GBP is down quite a bit), I think I'll just order a shiny new Starfighter from the US based site. I seem to get stuff from them pretty fast, even with the cheapest shipping, and they've always been johnny-on-the-spot with their customer service. For a $25 part, this is probably more discussion than it's worth, but I appreciate all the info. Thanks guys!
Old 2016-06-28, 07:51 PM   #6
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

Starfighter ordered. I'll update the thread when I've had a chance to install it and test it out.

Last edited by Bradford; 2016-06-28 at 07:57 PM.
Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-28, 10:01 PM   #7
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

There are also custom jobs all over this forum - a few threads labelled things like 'custom spooner', 'custom brake extensions' that sort of thing. They're not exactly a complex piece of machinery, so you can use your imagination!

Nothing wrong with the starfighter though, looks swish
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-28, 11:29 PM   #8
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
There are also custom jobs all over this forum - a few threads labelled things like 'custom spooner', 'custom brake extensions' that sort of thing. They're not exactly a complex piece of machinery, so you can use your imagination!

Nothing wrong with the starfighter though, looks swish
Yeah, I thought of just making one. I've got all kinds of tools and random metal parts in the garage that I probably could have used. Just not feeling very motivated this summer with all the heat, and I think since it's not a very expensive part (compared to other stuff), I just took the easy way out.
Old 2016-06-29, 06:11 AM   #9
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

I'd recomment a cut to lengt old MTB brake lever extension like i have on my 24" Muni. There are lots of guys using them.
28.05.2017: Europamarathon Görlitz
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-29, 09:49 AM   #10
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
I bought a Spooner for my new HS33. It doesn't fit, it was probably designed for the previous version of the HS33 lever (circa 2012?).
On my muni, I installed a Starfighter on the disc brake lever. Happy about that one.
Had the same issue but when I tried to flatten the lever it broke and now it fits the Spooner well
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.

Last edited by UniDreamerFR; 2016-06-29 at 09:50 AM.
UniDreamerFR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-29, 12:49 PM   #11
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
I'd recomment a cut to lengt old MTB brake lever extension like i have on my 24" Muni. There are lots of guys using them.
That looks nice, Eric. I'll keep that in mind if the Starfighter doesn't suit me.
Old 2016-06-29, 04:07 PM   #12
LanceB
This space available

I used a plastic spooner until it hit a rock and broke and fell off. I thought about replacing it with one of the aluminum pieces mentioned above, but delayed long enough to get used to riding/braking without it. Now I just use the stock lever as is. Works fine, really doesn't need any extras.
Old 2016-06-29, 04:19 PM   #13
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
I used a plastic spooner until it hit a rock and broke and fell off. I thought about replacing it with one of the aluminum pieces mentioned above, but delayed long enough to get used to riding/braking without it. Now I just use the stock lever as is. Works fine, really doesn't need any extras.
I'm glad you shared that. Makes me feel a little better about my decision to go with the Starfighter. Aside from having to order it from the UK, and not being 100% sure it would fit, I was afraid the plastic Spooner might break from the abuse it would take on a muni. The Starfighter I ordered won't be here for another few days, so I'm still using the stock handle, and it's fine. I probably could have done without it and would probably file it under "nice to have" rather than "must have", but it's cheap and I want to experiment. Plus, if it helps to make using the brake easier in any perceivable way, I'll consider it worth it.
Old 2016-06-29, 04:35 PM   #14
waaalrus
Unicyclist

I had a KH spooner on my road unicycle (29" KH Schlumpf) but I took it off because the lever is mounted on a handlebar and I pull it like a trigger with my index finger as the rest of my hand is on the base of the handlebar. On my mountain unicycles and freewheel unicycles I have the lever mounted under the front bumper and use a KH Starfighter on all of them. I generally pull at the middle part where I can just feel the tip of the lever. I had the lever stick out maybe a quarter inch from the Starfighter and it broke off on a UPD, leaving the Starfighter intact.
waaalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-29, 06:20 PM   #15
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by waaalrus View Post
I had a KH spooner on my road unicycle (29" KH Schlumpf) but I took it off because the lever is mounted on a handlebar and I pull it like a trigger with my index finger as the rest of my hand is on the base of the handlebar. On my mountain unicycles and freewheel unicycles I have the lever mounted under the front bumper and use a KH Starfighter on all of them. I generally pull at the middle part where I can just feel the tip of the lever. I had the lever stick out maybe a quarter inch from the Starfighter and it broke off on a UPD, leaving the Starfighter intact.
Yeah, I could see how the Spooner wasn't very useful on your 29" KH road uni in that config.

So, a freewheel unicycle, huh? Very cool! I can certainly see why you'd want brakes on that! Must be weird to coast on a uni with your feet on the pedals, but as a former avid biker, I miss being able to coast sometimes. Nice!

Tags
brake, extension, lever