Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-10-23, 04:35 PM   #31
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
They usually have a sale the week after I buy one. Not sure when that will be though.
Funny ^_^
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-23, 07:29 PM   #32
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
They usually have a sale the week after I buy one. Not sure when that will be though.
You should let us all know the next time you buy one...

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-26, 10:47 PM   #33
ScaredOldKid
Unicyclist

I borrowed a friends older Nimbus 26 with the knobby tire which felt like a tank. I borrowed just to see if I really wanted to buy a Muni. It was fun but hard to steer on pavement.
I bought the Oracle 27.5 with it's smoother yet still off road tire and what a difference. I have so much more control on pavement. Plus it is a pound lighter some how.

Last edited by ScaredOldKid; 2017-10-26 at 10:47 PM.
ScaredOldKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-27, 12:50 AM   #34
Uni Klein
Hooked For Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOldKid View Post
It was fun but hard to steer on pavement.
Tire pressure will also affect how hard it is to turn. Good choice with the 27.5.
Old 2017-11-04, 06:36 PM   #35
kahunacohen
Unicyclist

I ride my Oracle 36 more and more and I'm an intermediate to advanced rider. I have brakes on all my unicycles except for my 19 inch. I wouldn't ride at 36 without a brake with shorter cranks because it saves my knees and allows me to ride at a more even Cadence downhill. For A smaller wheel for steep technical downhills it helps to have a brake for similar reasons as the 36. It allows you to keep going in and even Speed and Cadence without The Choppier riding that happens when you're using just back pressure to slow down and stay in control.

So if you're on that wheel size and you're only planning on riding on relatively flat Terrain no need for a brake. If you think you might venture into Muni where you're going downhill for extended periods then go for the brake.

In terms of maintenance I've had very little trouble with the standard hydraulic disc brakes that come with unicycles these days. I have way more problems with caliper Rim brakes on my kids bikes.

If you're not sure which to get and you are not a starving artist go for the more expensive unicycle. I've never once regretted my expensive unicycle purchases.
kahunacohen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakethat, muni, oracle, question