Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2016-04-21, 07:47 PM   #61
davidp
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillycontraption View Post
When I wear it out maybe I will try a high roller, Cyclops or......
Do it all tire for a 24"? Check out the Felt Berm Master 24x3. $25 direct from Felt.
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-22, 05:32 PM   #62
Sillycontraption
unicyclist

Thanks Davidp. I didn't see that I could get it directly from Felt.

By the way the kiniption reacts badly to road crown on the 42mm Nimbus rim but is much much better on the 47mm KH rim.
Old 2016-06-12, 02:49 AM   #63
Paochow
Unicyclist

Another potential option, although not sure on cost and weight.

My neighbor just bought his daughter a Specialized Rip Rock 24, which has a 2.8"X24" Big Roller tire that would also work for Muni. Specialized doesn't list them on their site yet, but if they are priced similar to the kids Ground Control Tires ($40) it should be relatively affordable.

Last edited by Paochow; 2016-06-12 at 02:49 AM.
Paochow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-05, 02:17 PM   #64
PeterG
Learning to ride a Muni since 2004

Hi
The Specialized 2.8"X 24" Big Roller tire is how listed and in stock in New Zealand.
I have been looking to order one for my new (just ordered) KH24".

I'm back to Muni again

Yes Sold my old Ti Muni 26" back in 2011 and have been away for Unicycling until my new one comes in the mail

Kiwi Pete's back to riding a Muni part time
Old 2016-08-05, 02:27 PM   #65
Sillycontraption
unicyclist

Great PeterG! Congratulations on getting back to riding! Let us know how the big roller does. It looks way better than the 24" fat options out now.
Matt
Old 2016-08-07, 07:44 PM   #66
OorWullie
Unicyclist

I got a big roller 24x2.8 after seeing one on a friends sons bike. My view is that it is noticeably lighter than the Duro but also noticeably flimsier. I have to add I am on the big side, 6'2" and around 250lbs, so I put more strain on the tyre than many smaller riders will!

Listed weight for the tyre is just over half that of the Duro so the thinner and flexier sidewalls are to be expected, and if you are an average or light rider and don't do big hops or drops it won't be a problem.

The other thing I have found is the big roller reacts more to road crown/camber than the Duro. Not as bad as the maxxis hookworm or holy roller though. My daily after-work ride is mainly on gravel and dirt, but has a section of tarmac for maybe 300m and this is where I notice the auto-steer. On gravel it's much less noticeable.

All in all I think it's a good tyre, the issues I have with it have not been serious or annoying enough for me to swap it back to the Duro yet, and I hope that as my weight comes down I will come to like it even more!

Hope this review is helpful to someone.
OorWullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 07:57 PM   #67
OorWullie
Unicyclist

While I'm here, and to save starting another thread, does anybody else with a nimbus 2 24" muni have issues with hitting their legs on the frame? Like every pedal revolution my leg hits the frame, to the point where i actually have a semi permanent bruise inside my calf. I'm thinking I might just buy an Oracle frame and hope the round crown will cure the problem as it doesn't happen on my 19", 29" or 36".

Before I blow the £90 on a new frame has anyone got advice? Will the round crown be the answer?

Thanks, and sorry if I've done the wrong thing posting this question in the tyre reviews thread!
Old 2016-08-08, 01:06 AM   #68
Paochow
Unicyclist

Big roller is up on the US site: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/co...-roller/117678

Only $25- I'll be getting one to try!
Old 2016-08-08, 01:08 AM   #69
Paochow
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OorWullie View Post
While I'm here, and to save starting another thread, does anybody else with a nimbus 2 24" muni have issues with hitting their legs on the frame? Like every pedal revolution my leg hits the frame, to the point where i actually have a semi permanent bruise inside my calf. I'm thinking I might just buy an Oracle frame and hope the round crown will cure the problem as it doesn't happen on my 19", 29" or 36".

Before I blow the £90 on a new frame has anyone got advice? Will the round crown be the answer?

Thanks, and sorry if I've done the wrong thing posting this question in the tyre reviews thread!
Is it one side or both knees? I've hit one knee consistently only to notice my seat was slightly crooked.
Old 2016-08-08, 10:03 AM   #70
OorWullie
Unicyclist

It's worse on the right leg, but it is both sides. I might also take my brake (magura hs33) off to see if it's actually the frame or the brake that my leg hits. I can't really check while riding because I reckon I would fall off! Both my bigger unis have disc brakes and the 19" has no brake.
Old 2016-08-11, 10:11 PM   #71
LanceB
This space available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
Big roller is up on the US site: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/co...-roller/117678

Thanks Paochow. I went ahead and ordered one, even though my current Duro still has a lot of miles left on it. You can never tell when availability will change! I ordered a tube, too -- a good deal at $8, I thought.
Old 2016-08-12, 08:33 AM   #72
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paochow View Post

Sounds interesting! This could be a good alternative to the Duro. It saves 565g of weight. Size shall be nearly identical as the 3" Duro is only about 2.8" in real. The thread pattern looks less agressive but it has a nice round profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
Thanks Paochow. I went ahead and ordered one, even though my current Duro still has a lot of miles left on it. You can never tell when availability will change! I ordered a tube, too -- a good deal at $8, I thought.
I'm looking forward to your testing results.

Has anyone testet it yet? How does it ride, compared to the Duro?
03.06.2018: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-12, 10:48 AM   #73
PeterG
Learning to ride a Muni since 2004

Well I have back ordered one for myself too
Due in stock next week in New Zealand but maybe two weeks away..
I also ordered and got a pair of Specialized 2FO flat shoes

It's friday night now and the weekend awaits to go Muni riding

Kiwi Pete
Old 2016-08-13, 09:44 PM   #74
pierrox
Unicyclist

I have one in the post too! Hopefully it'll arrive next week... Can't wait to try it. I love the Duro, but that thing is heavy uphill!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-14, 04:58 PM   #75
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

It seems not to be available in Germany yet. I'm awaiting the response of my LBS tomorrow, maybe they know when it will be available.
03.06.2018: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
muni, official 24, review, thread, tire or tyre