Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-07-09, 01:21 AM   #16
jtrops
Unicyclist

Hmm. I think there's a reason magnetic pedals haven't "stuck" in the bike market. I can think of at least two other versions that don't seem to be around anymore. One of them was from Mavic, who as a large player in the industry probably had a bit more support behind the product.

We'll see how these do.
Old 2016-07-09, 10:04 AM   #17
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

A good set of honest opinions here.

Aside from the ridiculous weight, the main thing I took away is they are slippery and rely almost totally on the grip of the magnets. The fore aft position is too fixed while the slipperiness allows too much rotation of the foot.

Some were critical of the bearing quality.

Some seemed to want to like them and thought they were great idea ... for someone else's ride.
Old 2016-07-10, 07:03 PM   #18
davejh
Unicyclist

I think I would rather stay with SPD pedals with 'cheating' multi release cleats. I have been using them for nearly 2 years and do not intend to revert to pinned pedals.

With SPDs, you have to get used to a little extra foot rotation. With the maglock pedals, I do not believe that the magnetic interface would hold the sheet of steel attached to the bottom of your shoe firmly forcing the pedals to have pins keeping your feet in position. This would hinder safe pedal release for a unicyclist as upwards release IMHO is a UPD only method.

Also, the pins at the front and back would hinder the extremely easy foot positioning to change gear when using a schlumpf.

Another advantage of SPDs is that it is possible to fine tune the tension which holds your shoes to the pedals. This is not possible with magnetic pedals without replacing magnets (not exactly a fine adjustment).
davejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-14, 04:32 PM   #19
Verbyl
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejh View Post
I think I would rather stay with SPD pedals with 'cheating' multi release cleats. I have been using them for nearly 2 years and do not intend to revert to pinned pedals.
I don't think someone that uses SPD pedals would change, all you would add is weight. They are excellent as an alternative to SPDs for those who might be afraid of clipping in mechanically.

Quote:
With SPDs, you have to get used to a little extra foot rotation. With the maglock pedals, I do not believe that the magnetic interface would hold the sheet of steel attached to the bottom of your shoe firmly forcing the pedals to have pins keeping your feet in position. This would hinder safe pedal release for a unicyclist as upwards release IMHO is a UPD only method.
Unlike SPDs where you twist your heel outwards to release the MagLocks release when you twist your foot at ankle. In a UPD the twisting at ankle seems more natural than the twisting out of heel.

Quote:
Also, the pins at the front and back would hinder the extremely easy foot positioning to change gear when using a schlumpf.
The pins does not really play a part when you use your bike shoes, I believe they are there so you can also ride them with other shoes as a simple but heavy platform pedal. The float when attached is quite noticeable and might actually help with shifting gears on a Schlumpf.

Quote:
Another advantage of SPDs is that it is possible to fine tune the tension which holds your shoes to the pedals. This is not possible with magnetic pedals without replacing magnets (not exactly a fine adjustment).
I think you might be right on this but I'm not sure it makes much of a difference. I haven't found myself needing to fine tune my Mags.

Cheers
Verbyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-02, 12:08 AM   #20
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

You might be interested to see that they're making a plastic version of these pedals for us weight weenies!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ock-bike-pedal

600g a pair, so still heavier than my plastic caged SPD's, and nearly double that of a pair of Nukeproof Electrons, but might be worth a go!
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-02, 09:27 AM   #21
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
You might be interested to see that they're making a plastic version of these pedals for us weight weenies!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ock-bike-pedal

600g a pair, so still heavier than my plastic caged SPD's, and nearly double that of a pair of Nukeproof Electrons, but might be worth a go!
That becomes interesting.
Though, I don't know why this plastic version of the maglocks has even less pins while the reviews on the metal maglocks point out the lack of grip offered by the pins when doing some serious vtt rides.
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-04, 02:06 AM   #22
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Yeah that is a weird one. But 'regular' clipless pedals do offer float normally (just not the unlimited amount maglock's offer) so I'm not really sure why that's an issue Especially for riders used to things like Speedplay's which have ridiculous amounts of float.
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Old 2017-01-03, 07:53 PM   #23
Verbyl
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniDreamerFR View Post
That becomes interesting.
Though, I don't know why this plastic version of the maglocks has even less pins while the reviews on the metal maglocks point out the lack of grip offered by the pins when doing some serious vtt rides.
The pins are there if you want to use them as platform pedals. They do nothing when clipped in as your shoe doesn't even touch them (at least my shoes doesn't touch them).
Verbyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-07, 07:12 PM   #24
broncojon68
Unicyclist

pedals

I recently took the eggbeaters from my bike to try on my muni. Yep , no thanks. Even after 20 years of mountain biking I'm just not skilled enough to muni clipped in!
broncojon68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-07, 10:13 PM   #25
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncojon68 View Post
I recently took the eggbeaters from my bike to try on my muni. Yep , no thanks. Even after 20 years of mountain biking I'm just not skilled enough to muni clipped in!
They work alright for road 36ering - Not for me, because I dismount far more often than some because of my city's weird twisty layout, but they do work!

Necessary? Probably not.
Old 2018-06-17, 10:38 PM   #26
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Looks like there's a new magnetic pedal in town:

https://www.magped.com/?lang=en

Cooler looking, and a hell of a lot lighter by their claims than the MagLock. Somehow they've managed to make it single-sided though (That is, the magnets will only 'clip in' from one side of the pedal).

Not seen any reviews as of yet (At least not in English),
Old 2018-06-19, 04:02 PM   #27
mowcius
2017 UK Road Race Champion

Location: Leeds, W. Yorks. Unicycles: KH36/32/G27.5, KH36 (stolen), KHF29, KH24, 19" Gravity, 20" BC
By the looks of it, they'll only have put magnets on the one side. As the pedal will always hang vertically with their design, it may make mounting more difficult, but once you've got used to it it may also be easier (they will always be in the same position when you're mounting).

The less strong option should be around 22lbs, similar to what Verbyl liked on the others.
Old 2018-06-19, 10:22 PM   #28
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Yeah when I used toeclips I got used to the act of flipping pedals over, but with these ones I don't think that would be necessary, I tend to mount from the back anyway They at least look lighter and more usable in normal shoes than the MagLocks.

From their instructional videos, it seems they're not really supposed to provide any float via the magnet though, unlike MagLocks. They suggest setting the magnet/cleat to the point that your feet still grip the pedal pins. Not really sure how I feel about that, as when using clipless on the bike I love a bit of float, but on the uni I'm pretty well used to being locked in place by 5.10's/spiky pedals.

About 150g lighter than the MagLock Stealth (the plastic ones), but about £12 cheaper (though they're EU-based, so I wouldn't be hit with customs charges like I might with the US-based MagLocks!)

I dunno... I like the idea of an 'easier' SPD, but it seems to come with too many downsides still.
Old 2018-07-06, 04:20 PM   #29
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

So, further to my above post, I got a box in the mail today!

I've been riding around with them and they're easy enough to get out of without yanking my foot too hard (and a sideways twist does it), but they do hold the shoe down pretty solid. As suspected, learning to flip them over while mounting was a bit weird, but I can just about manage it most of the time.

My first gripe with them is that the magnet is very far back! I feel like I'm nearly pedaling on my tip toes. I've got the 'cleat' as far back in my shoes as they'll go, but I might start hacking at the rubber to get them further back (Mid-sole cleats finally make sense ).

I've got the 'normal' magnet strength, not the weak one, and I feel like it's about right. I have no trouble popping out of them in an emergency. In fact I feel like as I get used to them I'll buy a pair of the extra-strong magnets.

The pedals feel exceptionally solid and the bearings are smooth, but with the magnet in they are definitely heavier-feeling than my Nukeproofs. They are about the same size as the Nukeproofs, but are more diamond-shaped so cut the corners off a bit.

On the annoying flip-over mount thing. I've actually messaged them on Facebook asking about the feasability of making a double-sided version - the green plate that holds the magnet is removable, and seems to match up to the opposite side's grey plate, which is also removable, so I reckon if they'll sell me a second pair of green plates I'll be able to swap them out and make a double-sided set! They seem to be up for it, but I'll see how that goes
Old 2018-07-06, 06:38 PM   #30
mowcius
2017 UK Road Race Champion

Location: Leeds, W. Yorks. Unicycles: KH36/32/G27.5, KH36 (stolen), KHF29, KH24, 19" Gravity, 20" BC
If you can buy the magnetic parts separately for a reasonable price, you might be able to save a decent amount of money.
I randomly stumbled across these earlier and thought they looked familiar:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RockBros-...6/351673212015

Last edited by mowcius; 2018-07-06 at 06:38 PM.
mowcius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maglock, pedals, unicycle