Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-09-11, 02:30 PM   #16
mrfixit
Unicyclist

I had a helmet , bought some gloves and leg armor. But I sprained a wrist because I wasn't wearing the gloves. Then I bought a headlight and taillight, to see and be seen. One night at dusk, heading home , I fell hard, the second fall, I may have fractured a rib because I couldn't see the ground. My fault , since I didn't mount the headlight yet. I did have the gloves on.

Now I try to wear gloves everywhere, because if you're not falling, you're not trying. They give me comfort. And I have a light with me at dusk all the time.

The other day I forgot the gloves in the car, and felt almost uneasy without them. I can't explain it. I haven't wore the leg armor yet, after owning it about a year. I consider Jeans as some of my safety equipment, that helps prevent most cuts and bruises on my legs.

Bottom line is: figure out what works for you, learn from yours and others' mistakes, and pedal on.
And the creakiness will subside after more and more pedals.

Last edited by mrfixit; 2018-09-11 at 02:31 PM.
mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-11, 02:47 PM   #17
whoisdavidseeber
Unicyclist

just got some hillbilly gloves and they have already saved me from a fall off the 36". I dont think i will ride without them.
whoisdavidseeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-11, 07:08 PM   #18
ezas
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Ow. I'm 56, but have ridden regularly since I was 17. I can feel the changes that have come with the intervening years, and ride more conservatively. My brain seems to stop me from riding as fast as I used to. Of course, any of us can take a sudden fall at an awkward angle.

To be learning on a unicycle, means to be falling occasionally. So safety gear is the smart thing to do if you're not a teenager. It's still smart for teenagers, but it's just harder to convince them they aren't invincible. Most of the beating my body has taken in unicycling happened before I used a lot of safety gear.

I have a pair of wrist guards I've hardly ever used. I give them a try every once in a while, but they really inhibit my ability to use my camera, etc, so it's a trade-off for me. You're welcome to try them. Also I have some old Roach leg armor that you can try; not sure if they're too worn out to still be good, but can hold you if you're waiting for something to come in the mail.

I live in El Dorado Hills but am out of town until Saturday. I have some old helmets too, but I only keep those for when people forget one or something. They're retired for a reason.

If you'd like to come over, contact me through my website, unicycling.com (email address link at the bottom of most pages). I can also show you a bunch of old unicycles if you're interested...
I forgot you are in my neck of the woods. I haven't been all that active for the past few years and some days I feel like a rusty lawn chair unfolding but I know that will improve.

I've got another story about why I didn't ride for 10 years but that's for another thread. 10 years ago I was riding a 29" uni and wasn't particularly worried about falling. These past 10 years have really aged my body and made me feel stiff and old(er). But today's plans include heading to the park to practice my rolling and some other stuff to make me less worried about falling.
ezas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-11, 07:16 PM   #19
ezas
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post

I started wearing Hillbilly gloves and Telekneesis kneepads and found they made all the difference. I could have a spectacular fall and then get up and ride on like nothing happened.
I like those knee pads because they articulate but ouch on the price. I got some gear yesterday, pretty minimal protection, more like what an inline skater would use, but that's kind of what I want but the knee pads are going to bother my knees I can already tell because they are not very long so they are bunched up behind my knee. So I'm still kind of in the market. Until I go on my next ride which is still a few days away.
Old 2018-09-11, 07:22 PM   #20
ezas
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoclean View Post
Perhaps get used to a 20" again before going for the 26?
Things would be a little better if it hadn't been six months since I did the seat time on the 20". I kinda wish I had got a 24" but I wanted to get the Uni I really wanted for the riding (road/fitness) I plan to do. It was a guess on how much transition there would be to the 26". It's a case of not being as good as I hoped but not as bad as I feared, well until the fall. I really wasn't expecting this awkward of a fall.
Old 2018-09-11, 07:28 PM   #21
ezas
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
My worst beginner falls were failed mounts. I wear wrist protectors, elbow pads and knee pads. I agree that a 20" is going to make you more confident.

Concerning mounting, I suggest you focus on mounting as slowly as possible. In other words, make the mount last a long time. That is the essence of a good static mount. I recall as a beginner trying to get the mount done as quickly as possible; the logic was that if I didn't get it done quickly, it wouldn't happen at all. But the consequences of a quick mount were the occasional missing of the second pedal. Don't let it happen to you. A good, smooth mount is easier said than done. Focus on slow and smooth rather than success (riding away from the mount).
I know how to mount... just been a while. I totally get what you are saying about making it last. I call it riding the unicycle up. Like coming over the top of a roller coaster. I make sure I get the seat tucked up nice and tight into my crotchal area, try to relax and enjoy the ride up and over.

The day I fell was only the 2nd day I didn't do a curb mount first, ride around a bit get the feel of the wheel, then free mount after that. I think that contributed to the fall.

Thanks, it's a good reminder to not get nervous when I go back to riding in a few days and relax during the mount, don't rush it.
Old 2018-09-11, 08:13 PM   #22
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbling bear View Post
I have a different practice: I am often overprotected (youngsters nicknamed me "Iron man" ) and it smoothes the stress and thus falls are less likely.
They call me "knight" or "soldier"!!!
My armour help me feeling confident during freewheeling learn or during backward riding learn
Vogelfrei80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-11, 08:44 PM   #23
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezas View Post
I like those knee pads because they articulate but ouch on the price. I got some gear yesterday, pretty minimal protection, more like what an inline skater would use, but that's kind of what I want but the knee pads are going to bother my knees I can already tell because they are not very long so they are bunched up behind my knee. So I'm still kind of in the market. Until I go on my next ride which is still a few days away.
Depends on your philosophy. I would consider them expensive if I thought I wouldn’t actually use them. If I knew they were going to be used then I wouldn’t mind the price.

Some of the falls I had prevented me from riding for 2-3 weeks. I didn’t mind shelling out for safety gear after that
Old 2018-09-11, 09:37 PM   #24
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbling bear View Post
(youngsters nicknamed me "Iron man" )
... or Robocop!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-11, 11:12 PM   #25
Mononovize
Unicyclist

Quote:
I am using age-old inline skating gear (wrist guards, knee and usually also elbow pads), bought very cheap at a special offer of a general supermarket = nothing fancy. It's been useful inline skating, snowboarding (underneath the clothing; though I heard that while it protects the wrists, this sometimes leads to some nasty broken bone in the forearm, which specialized snowboard wrist protection supposedly equally prevents)... and these days I use it mostly used for unicycling. With the gear, I usually use a simple bike helmet since I've once lightly touched ground with my head. More recently, I've had a friend suffer a very serious head injury when a pedestrian (!) started into his bike - so I figure more than ever that a helmet doesn't hurt.

The gear's been used so much that some seams and even some of the material are giving in from tear and wear. I've never had "bad falls" with it. I'm not a muni rider (!) and generally not a very fast rider, but yes, I've fallen with a 26er only recently without being able to outrun it. I wasn't hurt. I think for standard riding it doesn't take specialized super-great equipment, just something you feel comfortable with. BTW, I very much appreciate that my knee pads have not only straps, but can additionally be puton like socks - they just keep in their positions so much better; the downside is that it's warm and that once in a while I get chafing in the back of a knee from prolonged use... but I mind that so much less than riding unprotected.

I don't think safety equipment makes me more fearful of falls or otherwise nervous; quite the opposite. My very first days of snowboarding taught me the hard way that protection is simply there to take the pain out of a harmless activity when I mess up. :-) If anything, I was initially a bit annoyed that I don't feel the air everywhere when unicycling, but I've mostly gotten used to it...

Sooo - get better soon and enjoy (riding with) your protection!!
Mononovize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-12, 05:40 AM   #26
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Quote:
When I rollerbladed I used pretty robust knee pads and so did my friends. There were always the types who wore little or nothing, or rolled around half naked showing off, but I definitely didn't take my cues from them. They were in a world of their own.

You went from no protection to minimal protection. I think it might be a good idea to buckle down and save up to get something reasonable, even if you have to stop unicycling for a while. A few weeks or even months won't make a difference in the long run ... but all you need is one unlucky day riding without protection to destroy either a body part or your confidence.

Confidence is actually pretty important too ... I know my body reacts instinctively to certain dangers that my conscious mind doesn't take nearly as seriously ... but whatever confidence I can muster does help to tamp down the overreactions or freezes I'd otherwise get ...

I'd get a helmet too. You can live a decent life with a terrible arm or leg or even more than one, but a damaged head, and your joy is probably gone ....
Old 2018-09-12, 05:40 AM   #27
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
... or Robocop!
He should look at the kids and tell them, "Dead or alive, you're coming with me."
Old 2018-09-13, 07:04 PM   #28
ezas
Unicyclist

I appreciate all the input.

Budget is a very real reality and only so much can be justified being spent on Uni. I'll be online shopping today.

This is what I have right now unless I find something I like more for what I can justify spending. It's smaller than I'd like, but I also was trying not to go too big.
Attached Images

Old 2018-09-21, 10:26 PM   #29
Scoox
Wheel enthusiast

37 here, and I don't like injury: the downtime that ensues is just not worth it. I wear a helmet on every ride—no helmet, no ride—, shin protection on most rides (soccer pads + knee-high soccer socks) and occasionally some cheap knee guards and MTB full-finger gloves if I'm going to be riding fast-ish on rough ground. I debated whether I should wear wrist protectors but they get in the way when grabbing the saddle so I went with gloves instead, mainly to prevent getting my hands gashed.

If I don't wear any protection I just don't feel safe. Just putting on my helmet about doubles my confidence. Give me shin pads and I'm ready to make progress.

Tags
bad, fall, kinda, night, shaken