Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-08-13, 05:42 AM   #16
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewq3 View Post
when you ride a unicycle, you're only a few inches off the floor. If you start to fall just bail, you'll normally land on your feet
I sure tried, but I landed on my back, twice in a few minutes. Which didn't bother me too much this time, except for some nasty pedal bite under my calf.

I hope, like some have said, that you tend not to fall backward. But first I have to learn how to tend to not fall backward.
Dingfelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-13, 05:51 AM   #17
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbling bear View Post
the young unicyclists tend to mock me and call me "robocop"

I practice mostly Muni so:
I wear a helmet (never needed it), gloves (needed: broke my wrists twice), leg armour (when I learned those **** pedals were trying to bite my leg but now they tend to behave, but I hurt my knees badly last year so I keep these), .
wobbling bear, what kind of leg armor did you use? I have shin pads and knee pads, but the pedals got me bad on the back of my leg, under the calf, not the front, when I fell backwards and onto their teeth. If I fall backwards again, it seems likely to me that the same thing could happen just as easily.

I'm unaware of anything made to protect that area.
Old 2018-08-13, 07:27 AM   #18
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfelder View Post
Thanks JimT!

I'm up for almost any kind of protection, I guess. Can't be too careful as you start getting older. I do have these shorts with tailbone protection already:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've seen some videos with guys repeatedly falling on their backs on hard surfaces, so I'm going to try to be extra careful that I have my back protected too.

EDIT: By the way, you're age 69 and unicycling? That's great! and exactly what I hope to be doing into my future, too.
One of the members of unicycle chat was trying to get the community to approve of him taking his 9 month old on his back while he unicycled was a good idea. I reckon a 9 month old on your back would provide a fair amount of protection.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1158...uery=9%20month

Last edited by Pinoclean; 2018-08-13 at 07:27 AM.
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-13, 04:51 PM   #19
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Dangling him off a balcony or taking him into a slippery alligator pit and still becoming beloved by all Australia sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure what you're suggesting is prudent.
Old 2018-08-13, 08:26 PM   #20
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

I used to consider getting some back and tail bone protection during my first year of unicycling, especially while learning to ride backwards, but as my unicycling ability improved this started to seem ridiculous. Learning to idle in particular greatly improved my abilities and confidence on the unicycle.

I remember seriously considering some back protection after a few nasty falls while learning to ride backwards, but these falls didn't lead to any serious injuries and my backwards ability soon improved.

These days all I wear for skills practice are shin guards, knee guards and gloves; if I am doing muni or distance riding I add a helmet.
Acrorebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-13, 08:47 PM   #21
As Stupid Does
Unicyclist

Cheap plastic pedals

Hah, y’all, am I the only dumbo to think cheap plastic $5 US new / free anywhere used fixes most pedal pin issues while trying to learn?

I’d save those fancy new pedals for when you might really appreciate them.

ASD

Mama says,
“Stupid is as stupid does.”

As Stupid Does is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-15, 09:44 AM   #22
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Stupid Does View Post
Hah, y’all, am I the only dumbo to think cheap plastic $5 US new / free anywhere used fixes most pedal pin issues while trying to learn?

I’d save those fancy new pedals for when you might really appreciate them.

ASD
This sounds like a good idea. Any random sporting goods store?
Old 2018-08-21, 06:17 AM   #23
rrurban
Unicyclist

This was a big concern of mine. I looked at back protectors bit found them restrictive and hot and sweaty. I ended up buying the tallest bladder backpack (3L) I could find the covers my lower back. I also bought padded hip/tailbone gel pants. Works well.
Nimbus II 26 Muni conversion
rrurban is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back, protection