Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

View Poll Results: Fix/Upgrade or Replace?
Fix the Sun and upgrade the saddle 1 12.50%
Replace that thing; time for a better ride. 7 87.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-09-26, 11:12 PM   #1
bobpaul

Fix/Upgrade or Replace?

I have a Sun Classic 29-er that's been my daily commuter for over a decade and finally broke the axle end. If I keep it, I'll have to replace the wheel and one of the crank arms.

Of course this has been a great opportunity to ogle other options. For ~400 I can get a Nimbus which would put me in a nicer saddle and a spline hub. But for $140 I can fix my Sun and swap in a Nimbus saddle.

I see a lot of statements on the forums that "all the components are nicer" on a premium brand like Nimbus, but what does that really mean? It seems like the saddle and maybe pedals are the really important parts. Spline crank is more durable, but I got 11 years from the Sun's tapered square hub.

What would be noticeably better between a something like a Nimbus 29 Road vs a cheap Sun Classic 29-er with a Nimbus Stadium saddle?

Secondary discussion, I have half a mind to splurge on a Night Fox and then also build up a 29" wheel with a compatible hub so I could share the Night Fox frame between a 29er and 36erl. So feel free to weigh in on whether that sounds a great or terrible idea. I have some fear the 36" wheel might not be very good in the snow, and I'm familiar with the 29".
bobpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-27, 01:05 PM   #2
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaul View Post
I have some fear the 36" wheel might not be very good in the snow, and I'm familiar with the 29".
For such an old uni, I would just get a new one that will last for another 11 years. now the hub breaks, next time something else. I've never ridden a 36" in the snow, but when you start sliding, the 29" is closer to the ground than the 36". My 29" Nimbus has a muni tire which has more profile than my 36 Nightrider pro. But the 36" wheel also adds more comfort for longer rides. Lately I've regularly been riding the bigger wheel, to get more used to it, but I still feel safer and more in control with the 29".
So I know what I would choose, but you're not me ^_^
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-27, 03:34 PM   #3
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:

What would be noticeably better between a something like a Nimbus 29 Road vs a cheap Sun Classic 29-er with a Nimbus Stadium saddle?

Secondary discussion, I have half a mind to splurge on a Night Fox and then also build up a 29" wheel with a compatible hub so I could share the Night Fox frame between a 29er and 36erl. So feel free to weigh in on whether that sounds a great or terrible idea. I have some fear the 36" wheel might not be very good in the snow, and I'm familiar with the 29".
I would not count on a Stadium saddle working for you unless you have tried one before. Many folks including me find the Stadium not serviceable at all. Some like the Stadium, everyone is different.

I've rode my 36er in the snow with no problems but have never rode a smaller uni in the snow to compare.
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-27, 06:16 PM   #4
jtrops
Unicyclist

How you ride has to be considered to answer your question.

You said that you commuted on this for 10 years. If you are commuting there is no reason to favor a splined hub over square taper. Unicycles are very simple machines, and you broke the one piece that is most likely to cause problems. The Sun hubs aren't very good, and yours lasted 10 years. If you had a UDC CrMo hub on your current uni I would guess that you won't have any problems with it for the rest of your time riding it.

Note: even double walled "bomber" rims taco.

Now, having a lighter wheel is nice. Having a better saddle is important. Having a nice shiny new unicycle is temporary (but nice for sure). Only you can decide if the extra dollars make sense, but if it is just about having a reliable machine to commute on I'm guessing that you won't benefit much for spending the extra money.
Old 2018-09-28, 11:17 AM   #5
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

Quote:
I have a Sun Classic 29-er that's been my daily commuter for over a decade and finally broke the axle end. If I keep it, I'll have to replace the wheel and one of the crank arms.

Of course this has been a great opportunity to ogle other options. For ~400 I can get a Nimbus which would put me in a nicer saddle and a spline hub. But for $140 I can fix my Sun and swap in a Nimbus saddle.

I see a lot of statements on the forums that "all the components are nicer" on a premium brand like Nimbus, but what does that really mean? It seems like the saddle and maybe pedals are the really important parts. Spline crank is more durable, but I got 11 years from the Sun's tapered square hub.

If I could sell everything and start again I would prefer exactly a Night Fox with 3 wheels (20", 29", 36") with 3 disc hub and 3 sets of cranks and pedals. 2 minutes to change the wheel, 3 minutes to set it up for my son.

If you could start again do not spend too much money if you could avoid it. Modify a saddle it's reaally easy is if you need it. Choose carefully the frame: big so you can change only the wheel? brake or no? (Inner disc or outer disc?) 100mm or 125mm hub (nightfox)?
Vogelfrei80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-01, 11:30 AM   #6
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogelfrei80 View Post
If I could sell everything and start again I would prefer exactly a Night Fox with 3 wheels (20", 29", 36") with 3 disc hub and 3 sets of cranks and pedals. 2 minutes to change the wheel, 3 minutes to set it up for my son.

If you could start again do not spend too much money if you could avoid it. Modify a saddle it's reaally easy is if you need it. Choose carefully the frame: big so you can change only the wheel? brake or no? (Inner disc or outer disc?) 100mm or 125mm hub (nightfox)?
You don't think that screwing and unscrewing the wheels all the time will wear out the screw threading? I'm lazy enough to just buy the 3 uni's and make sure they have the right seat height and wouldn't ever touch it again.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fix or upgrade, replace