Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-05-24, 02:34 AM   #16
caseytronic
Unicyclist

There is of course a lot on the web about the AZT. Id like to post a link to a free topo map site (for most of the US including AZ) that you all might not know about. Link is below (zoomed into AZ Keep clicking the map to zoom in and eventually you get a topo)

https://www.topoquest.com/map.php?la...=zoomin&size=m

Example zoomed in (topo of AZT pass 8 area on I-10 E of Tucson)
https://www.topoquest.com/map.php?la...=zoomin&size=m

Also, from biking and muni riding around AZ for the last many years (although not strcutly on the AZT), I would expect terrain to be the following:

In general I would expect a lot of long stretches of hardpack and loose-over-hard, interspersed with sandy sections in dry creek beds (washes). There should also be a healthy amount of shorter rocky tech sections too.

In the higher elevations in the middle of the state (Flagstaff through the Mogollon Rim) there are a lot of pine forests and areas of clay soils that turn your tire into a unique piece of pottery if you ride them when wet. When dry they generally form a hardpack thats fairly fast).

Coming down off of the Mogollon Rim generally the terrain gets more rocky and the environment becomes a true desert (not a lot of shade, a lot of thorny cactus, drier). The terrain stays this way with significant rocky ups and downs over mountain ridges and through valleys until south of I-10 where it flattens out into a high desert grassland. Terrain remains generally hardpack, loose-over-hard, sandy.
caseytronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-24, 02:46 AM   #17
The_SkunkMan
Andrew

Send a message via AIM to The_SkunkMan
Another thing to look into is a good trail guide. Something that gives elevation profiles, water source locations, campgrounds, and/or road crossings/resupply areas. A quick search shows there is an official one. I have no idea if it is any good, but if that information is available it makes planning much easier. Especially if you know there is a water source 5 miles away, you get away with carrying a fraction of the water (same goes for food and resupply points). Travelling light makes everything 100x more enjoyable.
The_SkunkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-19, 06:07 PM   #18
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
Any updates on this? Still interested. : )
Old 2016-07-21, 02:51 PM   #19
unicycle6869
Level 10 Rider!

Send a message via MSN to unicycle6869 Send a message via Skype™ to unicycle6869
Sorry, no update yet but after Unicon I should have lots more free time and will send out something towards end of August. But it is still happening!
unicycle6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-09, 05:07 AM   #20
The_SkunkMan
Andrew

Send a message via AIM to The_SkunkMan
So what would be a likely start date and direction? From what I've read, I assume you plan on going north bound in the spring. It looks like early to mid March is ideal, not too cold with enough water sources from snow melt. Was that your general idea?

I'm trying to find a way to free up my schedule come spring.
The_SkunkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-09, 08:26 AM   #21
unicycle6869
Level 10 Rider!

Send a message via MSN to unicycle6869 Send a message via Skype™ to unicycle6869
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_SkunkMan View Post
So what would be a likely start date and direction? From what I've read, I assume you plan on going north bound in the spring. It looks like early to mid March is ideal, not too cold with enough water sources from snow melt. Was that your general idea?

I'm trying to find a way to free up my schedule come spring.
Yes, I'm thinking of starting late March or April 1st...maybe right after the Moab muni weekend if there is one. Could possibly leave a car or two at the end at the AZ/UT border and road trip to the start. Going from Mexico to UT is the best due to water supplies and weather.

I still have a lot of research to do and now that Unicon and my 2 month Europe tour is done I will have more time so I'll post here with more info by the end of August.
Old 2017-04-01, 04:55 PM   #22
unicycle6869
Level 10 Rider!

Rebekka, Corbin and I are currently riding the AZT for the next month. You can track us every day and see where we are and how we are going here: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kWja2eCNKAl1fE

If you live in Tucson, Phoenix, Flagstaff or somewhere near the trail come join us for a day or two. I don't think we will have phone reception on most of the trail so this is your best way to try and find us.

You can see our day to day rough schedule here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing But this could change if we are faster or slower than what we planned, or if we run into bad weather, broken unicycles, broken people, etc.

Tags
2017, arizona, muni, spring, trail