Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-03-05, 08:53 PM   #1
MTUni
Unicyclist

36er Tire Pressure?

So, I have a UDC Titan with a Nimbus Nightrider tire. I'm a big guy at about 230 lbs. The tire is rated 40-65 pounds. I'm riding it on the street. I started with the tire pressure at about 45 pounds and have taken it up to 50 pounds of pressure. I'm wondering what kind of pressure folks generally use in a 36er tire on the street. I guess I'm curious about what folks who muni on a 36 think is a good pressure for that as well. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
MTUni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 09:05 PM   #2
corbin
Treehouse Muni Rider

Send a message via AIM to corbin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUni View Post
So, I have a UDC Titan with a Nimbus Nightrider tire. I'm a big guy at about 230 lbs. The tire is rated 40-65 pounds. I'm riding it on the street. I started with the tire pressure at about 45 pounds and have taken it up to 50 pounds of pressure. I'm wondering what kind of pressure folks generally use in a 36er tire on the street. I guess I'm curious about what folks who muni on a 36 think is a good pressure for that as well. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
I have always used 32psi in my 36er tires, no matter what tire Iíve used. Iím roughly ranked 3rd in the world for long distance racing.

corbin
corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 09:07 PM   #3
davidp
Unicyclist

I kept the Nightrider at 25-30 psi for mixed surface riding. I would go down to 20 psi if headed to the trail and up to 40 psi for pure paved rides.
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 09:10 PM   #4
onewheeldave
Semi Skilled Unicyclist

I use 40psi in all my unicycles.

Having recently got my first 36er, a quax, I've been running that at 40psi. It's got the TA tyre which states 32 psi max, but, to now, no issues with it at 40psi.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32
onewheeldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 09:39 PM   #5
unibokk
Unicyclist

I use 30 psi in the night rider tyre.I feel that lower tyre pressure provides better traction ie better adhesive friction which stops the wheel from running out from under me. I find the lower pressure also reduces side to side oscillation of the wheel providing a lot more stability. I also think a softer tyre will conform better to road cambre.

Take it easy!!
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 10:57 PM   #6
jojoxie
Unicyclist

I'm currently using 55lbs with a nightrider tyre. I used to use around 35lbs, great for strait line riding but cornering was pants.
Old 2013-03-06, 12:27 AM   #7
YooNeeNoob
Unicyclist

Overcoming the inertia of the 36er wheel, especially on mount, seems easier when I max out the Nightrider psi. For my smaller wheels, I kept the pressure low to counter twitchiness--not a problem with the giant 36.
YooNeeNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 01:16 AM   #8
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Why ride on the streets when you ride muni

20psi tubeless is all you need, for muni.

So is any running a 36er tubeless for road at high pressures?

I'm curious if the blow out risk is reduced. I haven't had a blow out at speed, but I have flatted on trails and had the muni squirt out from under me, can be very disconcerting and bruising to the shins!
Old 2013-03-06, 01:37 AM   #9
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

Hope it's not too much of a sidebar, but how do you like your Titan? I'm curious...

If it's too far off topic, just ignore me.
Old 2013-03-06, 04:10 AM   #10
MTUni
Unicyclist

Killian-

I am writting this with my phone and I can't figure out how to get the link to the other thread, but I posted a thread about a week ago withe the title "first weekend with a 36" where I wrote up my impressions of the Titan. I like it. But I don't have anything to compare with.

Last edited by MTUni; 2013-03-06 at 04:10 AM.
MTUni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-15, 03:19 PM   #11
NYC1WLR
Unicyclist

Nightrider sluggishness and tire pressure

When I first got my 36" Nightrider, I was having a really hard time pedaling uphill on a paved road here in Brooklyn's Prospect Park. If I had an UPD, there was no way to get back on it, and I was beginning to think I would never have the strength to go uphill.

Had a Eureka moment, and raised the tire pressure to just over 45 p.s.i. and it made an incredible difference. All of a sudden the uni was a different creature altogether. I could take those hills without trouble at all. The drag on a wheel that big with low pressure is pretty significant.
NYC1WLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-15, 03:57 PM   #12
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbin View Post
I have always used 32psi in my 36er tires, no matter what tire Iíve used. Iím roughly ranked 3rd in the world for long distance racing.

corbin
The obvious question being, what pressures do #1 and #2 ride?
Old 2018-10-15, 04:21 PM   #13
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1WLR View Post
When I first got my 36" Nightrider, I was having a really hard time pedaling uphill on a paved road here in Brooklyn's Prospect Park. If I had an UPD, there was no way to get back on it, and I was beginning to think I would never have the strength to go uphill.

Had a Eureka moment, and raised the tire pressure to just over 45 p.s.i. and it made an incredible difference. All of a sudden the uni was a different creature altogether. I could take those hills without trouble at all. The drag on a wheel that big with low pressure is pretty significant.
Give it a try at 60 to 65 psi. I weigh about 175 lbs and notice a huge difference between 45 and 60 psi. At the higher pressure it rolls much freer, is easier to make sharp turns and camber has less effect on the tire. Here is a video I did on the tire pressure effect on camber.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 01:24 AM   #14
Keith Mitchell
Unicyclist

I run 58psi in my Nightrider Lite tire and ride at least 50 miles a week on the road.
Keith Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 03:46 AM   #15
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
The obvious question being, what pressures do #1 and #2 ride?
Martin Charrier (France) is currently #1, and maybe was in 2013 as well? I don't know about him, but in general I find the fast riders like a lot of air. Naturally it's less friction, and it may also make the uni easier to handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
Give it a try at 60 to 65 psi. I weigh about 175 lbs and notice a huge difference between 45 and 60 psi.
I should try that. I don't think I've ever gone over 45 or so, but always feel the tire is too sensitive to camber when I'm going fast(ish; I don't go that fast).

I will generally let a little air out for dirt riding, but as always, the general rule is to keep your rim off the ground. The chunkier the trail, the more air you have to keep in there.

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36er, pressure, tire