Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-07-09, 01:06 PM   #31
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPD View Post
Darn PM, sounds like you're being sandwiched by a dick and an arsehole.
I know people who would pay good money for that

Quote:
I find that in most situations, when in doubt do what's legal for bikes. Usually any "legal definition" of unicycle is fairly obscure and not known to most law enforcement officers, let alone the general public.

So when in doubt, be a bike. Not so much of a concern on singletrack, but out on the roads/footpaths/sidewalks there is usually more traffic of a mixed nature.
I know there's a whole thread on this subject where we have discussed this, but I'm just gonna say - on a smaller wheel, I've found it completely safe to be a 'wheeled toy' IE. ride on the pavement, but on a 36er I 100% agree, those things are far too fast, heavy and out-of-control to ride with pedestrians. On my 29er I do a bit of both, though I rock towards the 'bike' side.

Quote:
Mostly they just want to get by, but often they think it's not necessary for them to give any warning of their approach.
This particular guy in my story was giving me warning in the form of 'COMIN UP ON YER LEFT', but I kept asking him to wait up a bit because the path's too narrow (And mud-filled drops on either side). This section is only short, and widens out massively at the end, so I saw no reason to let him pass me dangerously. The stalker guy just chucked a spanner in the works, as he appeared just as the path was starting to widen, taking away the space I was going to give to the roadie behind me!
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 03:18 PM   #32
UPD
fail better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post

I know there's a whole thread on this subject where we have discussed this, but I'm just gonna say - on a smaller wheel, I've found it completely safe to be a 'wheeled toy' IE. ride on the pavement, but on a 36er I 100% agree, those things are far too fast, heavy and out-of-control to ride with pedestrians. On my 29er I do a bit of both, though I rock towards the 'bike' side.
Urh, no, I have to disagree 100% on this point, I ride along side with pedestrians all the time on my 36er. I have 165s with full control, never out of control. So far, no pedestrians have felt threatened as I can slow down to walking pace, and tell them I would make the pass.
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 03:43 PM   #33
UPD
fail better.

But the again, a good point to make, for the newbs on 36ers...
Please dont be a trail hazzard, or scare the crap out of them, if you decidedly hit the trails with crowded pedestrians. Be sure, suggestedly, you are on long cranks, ie, 150s-175s. Practice (alot!) of going slow, and how to 'throw' your 36er wheel around to where you are nearly as proficient as you are on your 26er or 29er. Actually, more like your 26er, some guys use 29ers strictly for the roads and never really learn how to "throw" at it with the wheel. Really, its that important, when you have decidedly to hit the trails with a such massive wheel, that can obviously really hurt someone if you crash into them!
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 05:15 PM   #34
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

I was mostly talking about pavements as opposed to trails for the 36ers - obviously trails are fair game. I wouldn't ever ride my 36er along a pavement with pedestrians when there's a perfectly good road right next to it. And I ain't gonna start riding crazy long cranks just for the pavement, then I'll be even slower!
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
etiquette, single, track, trail