Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-06-11, 10:11 PM   #1
MUCFreerider
29" Muni/Downhill! (and 36" Muni)

Downhill Schlumpf on fast flow trails in Bike Parks

So just built up my Schlumpf in a KH 29 with the Duro Crux 29x3.25 and 137/117mm Spirits. Yesterday and today went for my first off-road rides and liking it a lot: Shifting up and down is working pretty well.

Really only one concern/issue at present:
Even though I've been doing lots of DH muni on the normal 29+ as well as lots of XC on my 36 with 125mm cranks and lots of uphill, also on short cranks (125/127), I still feel like the Schlumpf (29+ currently with 137mm cranks) stresses the knees a lot more. Just from the raw math it does a little: 36"/125mm*10mm/1cm*2.54cm/1"=7.32 gain for 36" vs. 30.5"/137mm*10mm/1cm*2.54cm/1"*1.55(Schlumpf)= 8.76 gain for 29" Schlumpf, which is 20% more. But it feels like more than that. My guess is that both the play in the Schlumpf that delays the feedback just a touch as well as the relationship between higher gain but smaller wheel means that the angle the rider/unicycle is off balance when the feedback "arrives" is then greater in relation to the wheel size, so the necessary force of correction in even higher than 20% more.
As a result it is much more stressful for my knees (I'm hoping most of it is just because of something new and my knees will strengthen and adapt to it).
Plus it's just so tiring and taxing. After maybe an hour of schlumpfing on trails I feel like I'm drained like after a massive race or a half marathon run (and I am in pretty decent shape after just having done 3x DH,XC and uphill races the last 6 weeks in Italy).

Although I'm interested in using the Schumpf for longer tours, getting to the trailhead faster and for XC, what I'm really interested in is riding fast flowy trails like in Downhill Bike Parks.

In the past I've ridden non-geared unis in quite a few bike parks (Whistler, Crested Butte, parks in the Austrian Alps, etc.). It was a good experience but even on a 29+ with 127mm cranks it's just not fast enough to really ride the trails like a mountain bike: i.e. it's just too slow for the banks, berms and up and downs that require lots of momentum.

Last summer I borrowed a 29" Schlumpf from a friend for a few weeks and got to ride once in a bike park: I was there with mtb friends and biked a bit and then took the unicycle for 2 runs. The first run was fun but *really* hard. Almost every single transition in every "flow" part of slightly uphill threw me off, so that I would ride 10 to a few hundred meters and then dismount. It was of course very tiring. On my second run I greatly improved on the transitions between up and down and was able to ride with flow. It was really really fun but also incredibly tiring. I guess it was basically max power/concentration almost the entire time just to stay balanced over the ups and downs. But it was *SO* fun.

So my questions:
1) Anyone else riding flow trails with the Schlumpf? experiecnes, impressions?
2) Why is it that I've heard almost nothing about Schlumpfing on fast flow trails? I was just in South Tirol for all 3 stages of the Italian Muni Race, where about half of the best DH unicyclists in the world live and train (Rabensteiners in Villanders). And while many of them own Schlumpfs, they said they don't really ride DH on them (they ride DH on non-geared 27.5" with 110-117mm cranks)

Next week I'll be in Finale Ligure Italy, which is a MTB mecca with lots of flowy DH trails and lots of shuttle companies. I will give the Schlumpf a try, although I'm not sure if I'm yet strong enough to do a full shuttle day with mountain bikers (5-6 downhill runs for the day). I will probably start with a single one-way shuttle and see how fast I am and then go from there.
26" Nimbus, Maxxis DHR IIx2.8, 117/137 Sprt
19" Trials Impact Athmos
20" Qu-Ax Profi Freestyle, 89mm VCX
MUCFreerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-11, 11:37 PM   #2
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCFreerider View Post
My guess is that both the play in the Schlumpf that delays the feedback just a touch as well as the relationship between higher gain but smaller wheel means that the angle the rider/unicycle is off balance when the feedback "arrives" is then greater in relation to the wheel size, so the necessary force of correction in even higher than 20% more.
I think you need to add "beginners' inefficiency" to the equation. Just as beginners burn out after short distances on un-geared unicycles, you are also burning out on the geared unicycle because you have less experience on a guni.

What you mentioned about larger corrections manifests itself in the use of the fast-twitch muscle fibers as opposed to slow twitch muscle fibers, causing you to burn out faster. Larger corrections = more force. For me, getting-tired vs. not-getting-tired seems to have more to do with thresholds of effort than it does total energy expended. I am pretty much of a novice on my geared unicycle, and when a lot of corrections are a part of the equation, I find the geared unicycle more tiring for the same ride.

I have no idea how people like you are able to ride on such short cranks. I would feel totally out of control on a G29/137 setup.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-12, 07:28 AM   #3
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
I have no idea how people like you are able to ride on such short cranks. I would feel totally out of control on a G29/137 setup.
Let alone down a bike park!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-13, 08:45 PM   #4
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

I still run 150's on my G26er and find it best for steep climbing (20+ grades) and in high gear it moves like a bat outta hell!

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2019-06-13 at 08:45 PM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, downhill, fast, flow, parks, schlumpf, trails