Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-05-27, 07:30 AM   #16
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin GJ View Post
Hi. It's a square taper axle, unicycle.com. 36 spokes. I've never rebuilt a wheel from scratch; maybe time to learn.
On square taper axles, cranks out of line usually means the axle is starting to fail, or one of the tapers is getting ready to break. But you could check this by first taking off the cranks and repositioning them in different positions to see if they line up, or are always off by the same amount.

If this happens on an old, cotter pin hub, it usually means you just have to take out one of the pins and put it in facing the other way.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-27, 02:06 PM   #17
jtrops
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
On square taper axles, cranks out of line usually means the axle is starting to fail, or one of the tapers is getting ready to break. But you could check this by first taking off the cranks and repositioning them in different positions to see if they line up, or are always off by the same amount.

If this happens on an old, cotter pin hub, it usually means you just have to take out one of the pins and put it in facing the other way.
It's funny you brought up cottered cranks. The only truly twisted spindles I've seen were cottered because of the low grade steel they used sometimes. The nice thing about those is that you can file the taper of the pin until the cranks line up again.
Old 2019-05-27, 03:03 PM   #18
Go Uni
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrops View Post
It's funny you brought up cottered cranks.
My first couple of bicycles had cottered cranks. But then along came tapered square, cotterless cranks. Woo-hoo! Way to go!

My theory about beginning with a low cost uni having cotterless cranks is that if my "ordinary" day-to-day riding starts to break the cranks then I could congratulate myself for having graduated beginner school and then get the splined ISIS cranks I will have earned. But until then I have not invested too much money.
Go Uni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, axle, twisted