Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-03-07, 12:10 PM   #16
Blaznee
Unicyclist

Amateurs musicians can, as their own risk, but professionals shouldn't...

I'm professional violinist (soloist and teacher), I already got issue to a wrist, I had to stop playing during almost 3 weeks, and it tooked me about 2 years to get back the level I lost, 2 years... so imagine if I had broken a bone, with twice more non-playing time ?

Anyway insurances always forbidden "dangerous" sports, crafting, even touching glass items... so if got hurt with unicycling, not any indemnisation will be given. Risky deal.
Blaznee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-11, 08:20 PM   #17
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

I'm impressed by the number of musicians among the unicyclists here. Re BenBrown's remark about not learning to rollerblade while studying music, I've inline skated for a couple of decades more than I've been unicycling and I can only think of a couple of skating buddies who don't play music with some degree of seriousness. I think there might a connection, that the mindset that leads someone to want to learn an instrument might also make them interested in taking on other physical skills.

My two cents: Learning is certainly riskier than riding once you know how; so yes, take that into account. If you have an important performance coming up, it might not be the best time to start. But there's also a decent chance of slipping on stairs or while getting out of the shower and being injured trying to catch your fall so keep it in perspective. Also, the majority of us depend on being able to write, type, use a computer mouse, or operate tools for our day-to-day livelihoods more than playing music. Hands or wrists are complex and delicate things that we depend on a lot and they deserve some thought and care whether we play music or not.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-11, 09:53 PM   #18
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

I suppose a lot depends on the type and intensity of the riding. I did an hour of road riding today and was never in danger of a fall. In 30 years of road and trail riding, I've needed stitches twice (chin, then calf) and a wrist support once.

Someone who insists on using a nice round wheel for hoping and dropping and flying from pillar to post may be at greater risk.
Old 2018-03-15, 02:45 PM   #19
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
I am a musician (Anglo concertina and harmonica) and although I am not studying it formally, or performing professionally, it is a huge part of my life and I play as near as possible every day. I have regular lessons, I teach one student, I compose tunes, and I play for my Morris dance team. Point is, it is important to me.

Nevertheless, I ride unicycle and ultimate wheel, I ride a bicycle on and off road, I ride a 750 cc motorcycle, often with a mother of two sitting behind me and relying on my skill and judgement to keep her alive. I take a small boat out to sea when I can, I do wild swimming, I've snorkelled down rapids. I even eat bacon and drink beer.

Point is, it's better to die than never to live. It's all about accepting and managing risk at a sensible level, not avoiding it. You could sit on your arse, never do an extreme sport, and have a heart attack tomorrow.
Eating the bacon is the highest risk activity by far. Beer comes in second.

Unicycling and music should go great together! Except for the crashing part if you need your wrists and fingers for instrument control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVjkE87FDY

If I were to attempt to sing or play an instrument in front of a large audience, now that would be high risk. It would cause a riot, and the frenzied crowd would probably want to make sure that I never did it again.

Human gyroscope in training.

Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 07:57 AM   #20
Blaznee
Unicyclist

Quote:
I suppose a lot depends on the type and intensity of the riding. I did an hour of road riding today and was never in danger of a fall. In 30 years of road and trail riding, I've needed stitches twice (chin, then calf) and a wrist support once.

Someone who insists on using a nice round wheel for hoping and dropping and flying from pillar to post may be at greater risk.

All depends on your luck...
When I hurt my wrist, it was on a simple mount on a 20" muni, like I did it thousands time, but got bad wind just at bad moment, bottom of my trouser got stuck on the crank on both sides together, and I fallen back without feet to save my fall...

You can at any moment have a tire issue due to something on the road, beeing hurt by an animal (last month I got attacked by a rottweiller while I was riding)... we are always in danger, not only when we are riding on a cliff.
Old 2018-03-16, 03:57 PM   #21
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaznee View Post
All depends on your luck...
.. we are always in danger, not only when we are riding on a cliff.
Yes, a violinist and concertina player I know developed a degenerative condition and lost most of the use of one arm. You're never safe. Assess the risk and manage it, but don't try to avoid it altogether.
Old 2018-03-16, 05:13 PM   #22
Blaznee
Unicyclist

Quote:
Yes, a violinist and concertina player I know developed a degenerative condition and lost most of the use of one arm. You're never safe. Assess the risk and manage it, but don't try to avoid it altogether.
There s enough random risks like that, no need to ad more on purpose

I had to end my soloist career because of 1 bad lucky fall on unicycle, and I still got luck I can still teach...

Last edited by Blaznee; 2018-03-16 at 05:15 PM.
Old 2018-03-16, 11:25 PM   #23
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

I am a vocalist so perhaps I will be alright as long as I don't fall on the uni and crush my throat.

Though I did come very close to knocking out my front teeth in a fall. Just chipped one of them.

Tags
musicians, unicycle