Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-05-30, 07:29 AM   #16
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

1) My first 36 was a Coker Big 1 with the Coker button tyre. It was great fun, a little noisy on tarmac. The tread caused a constant buzz.

2) My second 36 was a Nimbus. It had the aero wheel and the early TA tyre. The tyre had very little grip off road in the mud, but was smooth and quiet on the road.

3) I then added a Foss tube and the whole uni felt lighter and smoother. It's not just the reduced weight, but also the increased flexibility.

4) My 3rd and final 36 is a KH with a Nightrider tyre and Foss tube. This is far and away the best set up of the 4. The tyre is grippier than the TA and quieter than the Coker button tread.

It is not a direct comparison as there were 3 different frames, 3 different rims, and various crank set ups. Also, my skill level and style of riding have developed.

However, if I had to choose from these set ups, I would choose the Nightrider tyre and Foss tube.

The Coker button tread had no advantages other than the quirkiness. There is a great affection for Coker as the first 36 inch unicycle, but the tyre was not designed specifically for that purpose and was therefore not optimised for it.
Old 2017-05-30, 10:52 PM   #17
UPD
fail better.

My first 36er, Nimbus Nightrider had the offroads wider and much heavier tire. It was awesome, the most pleasurable riding! But then again, I didnt have anything else to compare it with😂
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-05, 12:01 PM   #18
Thumper uni
Unicyclist

V Rubber 36"

I have not seen this before v rubber monster 36" 45-65psi 1410 grams 95$ us looks like a chunky tread is this new.
Old 2018-03-05, 03:33 PM   #19
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper uni View Post
I have not seen this before v rubber monster 36" 45-65psi 1410 grams 95$ us looks like a chunky tread is this new.
Yeah it's been out a while, you usually see it on here referred to as the Todd as I think that's what UDC US sells it as

EDIT: Seems to also be called the Trax Monster on other sites, presumably due to it being the tread design from the Vee Trax tyres.
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”

Last edited by Piece Maker; 2018-03-05 at 03:35 PM.
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-05, 05:30 PM   #20
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

It's called the Todd in honor of Todd Nowack, who was a prime mover in getting this tire made. Kind of an unofficial name for the tire used both here and on mtbr.com.

When it started being sold there was no official name, and calling it a "Todd" had a nicer ring to it than "the 36" off-road tire built by V-Rubber and commissioned by WaltWorks"
Old 2018-03-05, 11:12 PM   #21
Thumper uni
Unicyclist

On a Facebook unigeezer said he just got a new vee rubber 36" tube that is lighter than his foss tube and cheaper , he got it from UDC USA .
Old 2018-03-06, 08:53 AM   #22
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

I saw that 36 tube on the UDC USA site as well. Acc. to the description it is Butyl, which I would definatly prefer against the Foss material.

Does anyone know if this tube is available in Europe (preferably Germany) somewhere?
kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-06, 09:44 AM   #23
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunstrasen View Post
I saw that 36 tube on the UDC USA site as well. Acc. to the description it is Butyl, which I would definatly prefer against the Foss material.

Does anyone know if this tube is available in Europe (preferably Germany) somewhere?
Only place I've been able to find it has been eBay, coming from international sellers, which obviously means paying crazy shipping fees to bring it up to slightly more expensive than a FOSS tube
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-06, 11:43 PM   #24
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
Only place I've been able to find it has been eBay, coming from international sellers, which obviously means paying crazy shipping fees to bring it up to slightly more expensive than a FOSS tube
But maybe you can find a Michelin butyl 29" tube which is even lighter : 170gm instead of 220 gm.
That's what I have with the new Lite Nightrider tire (about 1400 gm).
It becomes hard to have lighter than this combo for the big wheel!

Also, to feed this thread, the new Nightrider tire has a rounder shape than the previous one, and bigger diameter, once inflated.
it's about one inch more than the TA tire.
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-07, 09:44 AM   #25
bouin-bouin
Didier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniDreamerFR View Post
But maybe you can find a Michelin butyl 29" tube which is even lighter : 170gm instead of 220 gm.
That's what I have with the new Lite Nightrider tire (about 1400 gm).
It becomes hard to have lighter than this combo for the big wheel!

Also, to feed this thread, the new Nightrider tire has a rounder shape than the previous one, and bigger diameter, once inflated.
it's about one inch more than the TA tire.
UniDreamer, you're using a 29 tube but a 700 : Michelin butyl 700 35x47
my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)
bouin-bouin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-11, 04:16 PM   #26
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

New video showing a detailed comparison between the new Knightrider "Lite" 36er tire and Vee rubber tube vs the original, much heavier Nightrider tire and tube. I used an electronic hanging scale which was pre-calibrated for optimum accuracy. The total weight savings between the tires and tubes is "off the scale" dramatic! (At about 2:45 into the video I made a mistake by saying "3.9 Ounces" when I should have said 3 lb 9 oz.)

For those outside the US, I included total weight savings in grams in the video and YouTube description. (Hint: it exceeds 1kg!)

https://youtu.be/bMOVMzhdsJE

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2018-03-11 at 04:19 PM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-11, 10:43 PM   #27
Snoopy 16
Unicyclist

Tubless 36

I have my KH36 set up Tubless using Stans-no-tube. It works well for me & I have never had a flat in my Nightrider tire.
Are there any others who have gone tubless on their 36?

Snoopy 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-12, 01:14 AM   #28
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
New video showing a detailed comparison between the new Knightrider "Lite" 36er tire and Vee rubber tube vs the original, much heavier Nightrider tire and tube. I used an electronic hanging scale which was pre-calibrated for optimum accuracy. The total weight savings between the tires and tubes is "off the scale" dramatic! (At about 2:45 into the video I made a mistake by saying "3.9 Ounces" when I should have said 3 lb 9 oz.)

For those outside the US, I included total weight savings in grams in the video and YouTube description. (Hint: it exceeds 1kg!)

https://youtu.be/bMOVMzhdsJE
Thanks! What's the diameter of the valve stem on the new tube? I currently have a Foss tube on my 36er but was under the impression that the standard rubber tube had a thicker valve stem.

I don't suppose anybody knows the weight of a 36" Foss tube off the top of their head? On UDC it just says "30% lighter than a standard tube", but it would be good to have some real world numbers.

A standard tube appeals to me because the Foss is pretty fragile and I'm not looking forward to the day I need to patch it in the middle of nowhere.

BTW Terry, is that a Gentle Lady hanging from you ceiling?
Old 2018-03-12, 02:39 AM   #29
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

For the Presta Valve I drilled a 6mm hole which fits perfectly, and plugged the Schrader hole which is now covered with the rim strip and which was far too large for the standard Presta adapter. The V rubber 36er tube is actually lighter then the FOSS tube and also less prone to failure or leaking. So with the new Knightrider Lite Tire ( which I'm calling the "Lightrider" ☺ ) and Vee rubber tube combination I've dropped nearly two and a half pounds of weight off of the wheel which is pretty significant.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2018-03-12 at 02:43 AM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-12, 02:56 AM   #30
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Oh, it's Presta? I missed that bit. Even better!

Tags
question, tire