Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-03-12, 10:08 AM   #91
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Don't rate sth. as impossible before Ben has not failed to do it

The Rennsteig (168km, 1600m up, 1400m down) was also just a daytour for him rigt the day after he won the Erfurt marathon.
03.06.2018: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-12, 03:29 PM   #92
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
Don't rate sth. as impossible before Ben has not failed to do it

The Rennsteig (168km, 1600m up, 1400m down) was also just a daytour for him rigt the day after he won the Erfurt marathon.
That's very impressive, but shows just how much harder Everesting is. The Rennsteig is a huge ride, probably among the top 100, maybe top 20 rides ever done on a unicycle. The Everesting ride was just as long, and had an additional 7400m of climbing.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-13, 12:29 PM   #93
vookash
('')( :)(..)(: )('')

Send a message via Skype™ to vookash
Quote:
Originally Posted by tholub View Post
That's very impressive, but shows just how much harder Everesting is. The Rennsteig is a huge ride, probably among the top 100, maybe top 20 rides ever done on a unicycle. The Everesting ride was just as long, and had an additional 7400m of climbing.
Rennsteig is offroad and as I remember Ben's story it was really rough in some places.
But anyway Everesting seems far harder.
Old 2018-03-14, 04:43 AM   #94
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!

The conditioning of the riding disciplines would affect climbing ability.

A dedicated unicyclist should develop overall stronger legs and body than a bicycle rider. The unicyclist does not coast and is constantly working his body making corrections to stay balanced.

The conventional bicycle might be more efficient according to the physics input, but the unicyclist would be able to pedal much harder. Holding onto the seat as done by unicyclists to transmit more force affects the equation and if it was considered, I missed it. As far as I know, this is not done by any cyclists.

I have seen Ben's climbing video, he's going straight up, the cyclists present are not doing it, and might not be physically capable of it. I have also seen videos of Unigeezer riding up steep trails where mountain bikers got off and pushed their bikes. I have also heard of Kris Holm and other advanced Muni riders riding up steep trails that top mountain bikers were unable to do due to possessing much less leg strength.

Cyclists that switch from multi geared to single speeds or fixies seem to be reporting large boosts in their leg strength and fitness.

Are there any fitness and strength tests or studies out there comparing unicyclists to cyclists?

Human gyroscope in training.

Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-14, 06:43 AM   #95
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Rite View Post
T
I have seen Ben's climbing video, he's going straight up, the cyclists present are not doing it, and might not be physically capable of it. I have also seen videos of Unigeezer riding up steep trails where mountain bikers got off and pushed their bikes. I have also heard of Kris Holm and other advanced Muni riders riding up steep trails that top mountain bikers were unable to do due to possessing much less leg strength.
You're comparing top unicyclists to weekend warrior bicyclists. Of course people who train all the time are stronger than people who don't.

Quote:
Are there any fitness and strength tests or studies out there comparing unicyclists to cyclists?
Sure. Strava. The Strava record on Fargo Street is about a minute faster than Ben's climb. On Mount Diablo it's about 30 minutes faster; I'm sure the same is true for Whiteface and other competitive climbs.

Ben is now in the Everesting Hall of Fame with his time of 23H 03 M. https://everesting.cc/hall-of-fame/. A recent fast posted time of similar distance on bike was completed in 8H 30M.

Could Ben do it on bike in 8H 30M? Well, probably not today. Possibly if he trained for it; he's a great athlete.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-14, 07:39 PM   #96
turtle
Seniorenklasse!

congratulations Ben!!!

wanna try yourself?

https://www.ursli.li/elsbet/everesting-elsbet/

I trust in those:

Triton

Mountainuni Brake System

Schlumpf
turtle is offline   Reply With Quote