Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-02-22, 04:53 AM   #16
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Eric aus Chemnitz has a Schlumpf!

I thought about which tools I bring. It used to be the same kit every time, because unicycles were more consistent. Patch kit, tools to get a wheel/tire off, multi-allen tool, valve stem tool (Schraeder), and the "$5 crank nut". That was the spare crank nut I would charge someone $5 for, because they would always fail at the farthest point from the car. I never actually ended up charging anyone. Recently I realized NOBODY is riding square taper cranks that use axle nuts on trails anymore Maybe axle bolts, but few enough of them too!

Nowadays, the tools have to change to fit what I'm riding. The Schlumpf 36" requires the Schlumpf tool (that flat thing in Eric's kit) and the matching tiny allen wrench for shift buttons, as well as the Torx T8 (I think) for my disc brake. Always the multi-allen tool, and always my Presta/Shraeder mini-pump (which I failed to mention above). But I don't worry about changing a tire on my 36". Not because the Foss tube can never fail; what can I say, no relation? I've had one fail. But because the tools and effort it takes me to get a tire on/off that rim are not to be attempted on the trail, especially without my large and heavy, metal tire spoon.

For the trails, I have a new KH 26", also with disc brake. It's still so new I haven't paid much attention to what tools I might need, other than the multi-allen to make seat adjustments...

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-22, 05:16 AM   #17
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
But I don't worry about changing a tire on my 36". Not because the Foss tube can never fail; what can I say, no relation? I've had one fail. But because the tools and effort it takes me to get a tire on/off that rim are not to be attempted on the trail, especially without my large and heavy, metal tire spoon.
I've heard this a lot, but assumed it was just the old rim/tyre combos that had this problem. I've had my 36er tyre off a few times and it's no more difficult than any other tyre. Mine is a Nightrider tyre on a Stealth 2 rim.

I carry two flat plastic tyre levers like the one pictured (except mine are red, allowing me to get the job done faster). They're small, light, and work just fine on my 36er. I don't use them to put the tyre back on - fingers work fine for this.

Do I just have a really loose tyre? I run it at 50 PSI (and used to run it at 60) and have never had a blowout like the stories you used to hear about the Airfoil rims...
Attached Images

Old 2017-02-22, 05:27 AM   #18
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

I think I need one of those Stealth 2 rims. I have an earlier one; the one with the holes in it. In spite of the holes, I think they weigh more than the Stealth 2. Your tire levers look good, but I don't think they would work with my Nightrider tire and that rim. You'd need an extension tool for leverage, and they might just bend...

In thinking about tools I used to use, I went all the way back. Back in the day, we had Schwinns and Miyatas. 20" and 24" wheels, and adjustable crescent wrenches. Remember, you needed two of those for the Schwinn, just to raise or lower the seat (or change the tire)! We rounded off a lot of small saddle nuts in those days...

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-10, 11:12 AM   #19
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Found sth interesting for bikes. Maybe ideas like this can be transformed to unicycles.

5 MTB Tools that Live in your Bike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK6J8BTwTpk
03.06.2018: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-10, 07:16 PM   #20
Chimeara
Chimeara

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
I've heard this a lot, but assumed it was just the old rim/tyre combos that had this problem. I've had my 36er tyre off a few times and it's no more difficult than any other tyre. Mine is a Nightrider tyre on a Stealth 2 rim.

I carry two flat plastic tyre levers like the one pictured (except mine are red, allowing me to get the job done faster). They're small, light, and work just fine on my 36er. I don't use them to put the tyre back on - fingers work fine for this.

Do I just have a really loose tyre? I run it at 50 PSI (and used to run it at 60) and have never had a blowout like the stories you used to hear about the Airfoil rims...
I also carry nylon tyre levers That i do not need to use to put the tyre on, not sure if i even need them to take tyre off. Also a nightrider 36 running approx 50psi

I also carry 4/5/8mm Allen keys, foss patches,Zip ties, Small multi spanner i think it came with a new unicycle. A Ten pound note,and a Mini pump.

A handy tip is everything apart from the pump fits in a hard spectacle case

Regards Phil
Chimeara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kits, tool